Newbie: Malifaux themes and miniatures

xenoss

I'm a newbie, I dont own figures for this game yet nor do I know how the rules beyond what I saw in the Gencon08 video demo on youtube. The website is not very helpful either (or perhaps I just dont know how to navigate it).

Malifaux is an alternate history / fantasy western skirmish game, right? Just to confirm.

The rules arent out yet but some of the figures are; all the Wyrd figures sold on the website are actually for Malifaux, right?

The scale is 32mm, so it'll be a little bigger than the usual affair. (sculpts look great btw)?

I have interest in the game and want to follow it till it is released. But for now I dont know much about it; can someone direct me to THE source of info?

Also, what company sells this scale of miniatures (and western themed)? I like a lot of the sculpts, but I don't see the quintessential gun slinger style sculpt. The 1 they do have is a woman, it looks nice and if I play I'll very likely get it. But I would still like to have a male gun slinger. Basically what I'm saying is I'm looking for a Clint Eastwood or Lee Van Cliff style fig on this scale. Any ideas?

Hey xenoss,

The best source for background material is the Wyrd Chronicles. It has many articles about the factions and awesome background stories (I have just finished reading the Guild articles...fantastic stuff). You can find them on Wyrd's main page or by these links:

REMEMBER THESE ARE BIG PDF'S SO DON'T OPEN THEM UNKNOWINGLY IF YOU HAVE A SLOW CONNECTION :)

Volume 1

http://wyrd-games.net/mint/pepper/orderedlist/downloads/download.php?file=http%3A//wyrd-games.net/Ezine/Wyrd%2520Chronicles%2520v1.pdf

Volume 2

http://wyrd-games.net/mint/pepper/orderedlist/downloads/download.php?file=http%3A//www.wyrd-games.net/Ezine/Wyrd%2520Chronicles%2520v2.pdf

Faction Spotlight

http://wyrd-games.net/mint/pepper/orderedlist/downloads/download.php?file=http%3A//www.wyrd-games.net/Ezine/WC%2520Faction%2520Spotlight.pdf

For the quintessential gunslinger I'd look at the Ortega family in Wyrd's line. Francisco is a real quintessential gunslinger in my book and fits the bill as a pseudo-Clint very well IMO.

The scale is 32mm, so it'll be a little bigger than the usual affair. (sculpts look great btw)?

More or less. There's a little... artistic license involved as well. Or maybe the Death Marshals are really short, and Lady Justice is really tall.

(But really, every minis line out there has some scale creep. So it's to be expected.)

Malifaux is an alternate history / fantasy western skirmish game, right? Just to confirm.

Those are some of the influences....also think steampunk/horror/victorian. Its a potpourri really :)

The rules arent out yet but some of the figures are; all the Wyrd figures sold on the website are actually for Malifaux, right?

All of the figures are except the Catacomb Prowlers line. Currently those are just for the general hobby.

I wouldn't be too concerned about this. I have a selection of minis from Reaper, GW, Rackham, and Wyrd. Each of these companies have stated being in the 25-32mm range at one point or another. I have all these miniatures together in my display cabinets and if I put a Wyrd mini next to a GW or Reaper mini you wouldn't even notice a size difference. I even just looked to make sure. I put a standard size Reaper mini and a GW mini next to Seamus, the Mad Hatter just to test it out and the only height advantage Seamus had was from his tall hat. 25-32mm are really close enough to the same size that it really isn't an issue.

I have interest in the game and want to follow it till it is released. But for now I dont know much about it; can someone direct me to THE source of info?

I would recommend getting in touch with EricJ. ERICJ@WYRD-GAMES.NET

He is the person in charge the the gaming rules right now and is currently looking for more Beta testers. The testing has been going on for some time, but he's wanting some fresh eyes to have a look at the rules.

black scorpion has regular classical gunslingers, they are about the same size as wyrd miniatures, tough I have never held any of the gunslingers in my hand.

I have some scale comparison shots below but Seamus and Lilith are wyrds tallest and "chunkiest" human figures afaik (and thats part of the reason they are my faves :))

I dont have GW figures to compare to, but as far as I know these fall in scale with the masquerade and tinbits miniatures, only much chunkier.

0_males.jpg

0_females.jpg

0_somemore.jpg

0_some.jpg

0_wyrd.jpg

last picture compares wyrds own variety of sizes

also I know I once posted these allready... too lazy to find and link to the old post >_<

offtopic sillyness

the miniature is standing on my desk as we speak, he is on the above picture wich I offcourse took myself.

I have had the miniature for at least half a year.

and today is the first time I realise that resina planet's pirate captain has a wooden leg >_<

Im off to the opticien now ......

Edited by Illustrange
added silly thing

Earth in the setting has an alternate history but the game actually takes place in Malifaux, which is a city in a whole other world. The city is accessed through a dimensional breach and exists in an alien world full of ruins and strange landscapes.

First of all, let me say: welcome to the fourms!

As Frustrated Father's signature says:

I'm often asked what genre and elements make up Malifaux ... that's simple, its: Steamvictoriohorrorwestpunk! Hope that clears it up for you.

As far as "the" source for information, besides the issues of Wyrd Chronicles that Mal mentioned and linked to, it's right here on the site. This section of the forums (Malifaux Matters) has several threads regarding and relating to Malifaux, so you might want to check those out as well (if you haven't already).

In addition, any future information would be posted here on the site first. And now that the Wyrd Chronicles is going to be in smaller sections instead of a full-blown issue - which means it's easier to get out - every two weeks, then there should certainly be more Malifaux items coming.