Your Weird Name at Wyrd

Neolis was my first role playing character ever some 13+ years ago. Sort of became a steady alter ego for me online and in-life when I am doing some of my "geeky" hobbies. The character was an elf so I often will tease with the name. Like my Blog is called wicked elf minatures.

As a web-comic I read has a gag of, Neolis is just the were-geek me when I am able to just let it out and not worry about it. Cause I know every one has had a hell of a time trying to explain this hobby at least once.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To make a long story short, saw the name Xenon in a science manual in high school, under an illustration showing the various inert gases and how they lit up when an electrical current passed through them.

I liked the way it sounded and loved the color of it, but it wasn't until I found a name dictionary and saw what it meant that I went head-over-heels for it.

So the classic meaning to the name Xenon would be "the stranger, the alien, the odd one, the one who doesn't belong, the different" I felt that stretching it a bit could mean "the unique one". As I never managed to fit in as a teenager, it felt simply perfect.

As for the Wulf part, I thought that using that Xenon bit and turning it into a way of saying "the lone wolf" into something which could be passed off as a real name was a nice touch, so I tried to change Wolf into something which could conceivably be used as a last name.

It also served a second purpose as a reminder of what I had been through, as the family name of one of the worse bullies I've had to deal with in high school was Wolf (or some variant thereof).

I've been using the nick for so long now that it's second nature - I'll use it for 90% of what I do online.

It's ALL my friend John's fault. He wanted to come up with a fantasy sounding name & reversed the spelling of his name to achieve the effect, becoming Nhoj Reppelk. Being easily influenced, I followed suit, becoming Deaf [referring to a "profound hearing loss" in politically correct terms] Nala [my first name reversed].

Pretty BORING huh!?

I'm, uh, a Scorpio.

I also loved Clan Scorpion in L5R from day one, even before we knew anything about them. And the more info that came out, the more I was in.

Also, scorpions are cool, both thematically and in real life.

But really, it's the zodiac thing. First pick for most online forums, just default to my initials (PMMJ) if Scorpio is taken.

Edited by Scorpio

Started at a different forum. My username for gaming was LuN4 (or Luna) but most of the time that nickname was already taken on forums, so I came up with A Luna, the 'A' not meaning the normal letter 'A' but 'prime'.

Kinda far tought, but I've kept it for most forums (acutally all)

Keltheos is the name of a personality in a game I was helping design that never saw the light of day (Warlocke).

He's the Prime Consort of the Morigann faction, Lord Keltheos Sturnn.

Started using it as a username and liked the sound of it.

Lies! ALL Lies!

It came from being blamed for everything! All so we could say KELTHEOS!!! I blame you!

My name Tenebræ (it means shadow) was the first foray into latin email addresses after yahoo ate my old account, I also started using it on forums at the same time. Since then however I have found Tenebræ to be a more taken username than I would like and I now use Viræmia. So far I haven't run into a problem with it being taken and now use it for most forums. Viræmia is the process in which a virus that infects one part of the body moves into other uninfected parts through the blood stream.

My name is Scott Radom. True story time.....

the only other man I've found with the same name as me lives about 6 blocks away from me. We both rent from the same movie store. His file is under "Scott Radom", mine was moved by the staff out of respect for me to "THE Scott Radom".

More truth.....

My brothers girlfriend used to date the OTHER Scott Radom in a small town a couple hundred miles away from here. She used to bang this dude, but they broke up when he moved from that town to this town. How's that for odd, considering I can't find another Scott Radom in North America.

Wow, that is wild! My friend's father briefly put up a friend with the exact same name. People would call on the phone and ask for 'first name', get the response which one, add 'last name', get the response which one and so on. Their adventures made it on to a radio program. But I'm pretty sure there were others of the same name even in our city nevermind the rest of NA.

• 10 months later...

mine was used by a girl i once loved, not really used actually,

we were surfing the web together, she not knowing i was crushing on her, and she needed to add a player name somewhere, on that spot she came up with yazza

i kinda liked it so i started using it, so id feel closer to here, kinda creepy i know, but last time i checked malifaux is creepy :D

crushed on her for 3 or 4 years, she knew it for the last 2 years and blew me off completely once i dared

aaaah love...

Ah, the short version... my name originated from Voltron. :-P

The long version... When I was in elementary/middle school I stayed at my neighbor's house after school. The girl that watched me was several years older, and we started playing D&D. I was trying to come up with a name for my character (She was DMing) and she suggested Sven because of the character from Voltron. I liked it and used it. When I started playing The Realm Online (my first MMO back in 97/98) I tried to use Sven but it was taken. I added the extra "N" to personalize it... and it stuck. I've since developed a full character named "Svenn Ethir" out of it, and it's my primary game and online personality.

Dire: Instantly makes a creature seem more arcane & horrific, and possibly deadlier

Horucaturu desuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!! :stupid:

Snuggler: Deflates the importance of the previous two words by way of :knuddel:

~J~

It's funny I have always read you handle as Dire Hoarcat Smuggler. I must be a little dyslexic.

Was wondering how much you get for them this side of the breach?

Um, I like Terry Pratchett and thought Dangerous Beans (from The Amazing Morice and his Educated Rodents) was a cool name. Originally I wanted to call my firstborn this but wasn't allowed. Now he's going to be called Scamper, although I've yet to put that to vote. (this is hopefully a llllloooooonnnnggg way off btw, but it helps to plan ahead!)

edit: Also I like beans, and am highly dangerous.

Um, I like Terry Pratchett and thought Dangerous Beans (from The Amazing Morice and his Educated Rodents) was a cool name. Originally I wanted to call my firstborn this but wasn't allowed. Now he's going to be called Scamper, although I've yet to put that to vote. (this is hopefully a llllloooooonnnnggg way off btw, but it helps to plan ahead!)

edit: Also I like beans, and am highly dangerous.

If you have a girl she could be Peaches.

As for my name, it's just a word:

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/lalochezia

A word that sounds cool, shortens easily, and describes my general emotional state throughout the course of an average day.

Deathjester has always been my online nickname for many different boards stemming from trying to find a name to go under whilst participating in Bloodbowl tounaments.

One of my friends suggested it whilst at Grandma Wendys HQ (how I came away from that place unmutated into a gibbering imbecile wanting every new overpriced Space Marine I dont know hehe) whilst looking at the gorgeously painted miniatures we saw a Dark Eldar Deathjester mini and he suggested that as I have an awful sick hideous sense of humour mwhahahahah.

Not that exciting but Iv lived with it for years now.