Iron Terrain Builder - discussion

Hinton

Yeah I mentioned that earlier I think or maybe I thought about it and didn't type?? WIP's and other bit s are always great for this kind of thingbut a simple pre paint shot would be very useful.....

We'll let the pot keep fillin for a week or so ad then start to flatten it out organise and shape it intoa more stable foundation.........

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we might want to consider doing something along the lines of diorama of doom over on FOD. require that each participant start by posting a photo of what they are starting with along with something with the date on it (newspaper, etc..) so that it shows the project was started for the competition and not something that's been lying around for years that just needed a little polishing.

It seems a growing consensus over a few basic rules is taking shape:

1. size limitations: yes

2. theme: yes

3. short time-frame: yes

4. miniatures included: no (unless they are an integral part of the scenery, e.g. statues, corpses etc.)

Yep you pretty much narrowed it down to the general consensus.

About the IP format, personnally, knowing how time consuming terrain building can be, I probably wouldn't be able to submit several entries in a relatively short amount of time. I didn't want to enter IP6, 'cause I'm not sure I can paint that fast, at least not if you expect a decent result...

So, I'd prefer a "one shot" contest with several categories "specific theme, size, etc.." and no restrictions on building material (hirst art blocks, static grass etc..)

The contest should get people involved who do not ordinarily spend too much time on dioramas, elaborate bases or terrain pieces, so definitely small pieces like markers should be encouraged.

Also, in order for the folks at Wyrd to get something out of it, I'd suggest a theme like "Steamvictoriohorrorwestpunk" that could influence the making of the Malifaux game...

Any suggestions as to the name of the contest ?

There are quite a few name suggestions on the other thread.

One thing that should probably be allowed is preconstructed terrain that is summarily disassembled into it's component parts and used either for rubble or completely redesigned.

What I am thinking about here is using the GW industrial pieces, cutting them up and taking some of the detail bits to be integrated into the piece as accents. This is certainly using existing, prebuilt terrain, but in a fashion that doesn't use the original design in any way.

In some ways, I am tempted to say that nothing is off limits in terms of what you do. The picture of the piece before paint should definitely be a requirement. If you use a prebuilt terrain piece you will just score horribly.

This serves a good purpose. It has just given the person entering a piece of usable painted terrain. It does put more of an impetus on the abilities of the judges but given the evident talent on this site I think anyone on the judging staff will be able to make good decisions about pieces that get entered in this fashion.

All that would be required is a disclaimer that if the entrant uses a prebuilt piece of terrain they will PROBABLY score badly. This leaves the window open for someone to actually use a piece of prebuilt terrain in a really innovative way and not get punnished for their creativity.

I think this is a great idea, but people are overanalyzing it. All the objections about needing different categories for base sizes and such could be applied to Iron Painter, and yet, Iron Painter works just fine with an open, unrestricted format.

I think the only rules we need are these:

1. No figures as focal point, only as background details (frog in the pond is okay).

2. It must be a piece of terrain, i.e., something you put ON a game table and move figures ON or AROUND.

The point of those two rules is to make clear that this is a TERRAIN building contest, not a DIORAMA or GAME TABLE contest. I think we can trust the judges to award or withhold points in close cases. We all KNOW what terrain is, lets just keep the rules simple and open, and rely on the same system of honor and fun that has worked so well in Iron Painter!

Furthermore, if someone just paints up a commercial piece of terrain, that's fine, but they shouldn't expect high scores from the judges.

• 5 months later...

I know everyone is REAL busy with the upcoming Malifaux bomb that will be dropped in the next few weeks, but shortly after that I think it would be a great time to start this. We'll all need some stuff for our freshly painted figs to run around and hide behind. Plus, we'll get tons of new people and it would be nice to have a good community event going on to show people how we do round here!

I'd be willing to help/judge/participate in this. Lemme know.

• 2 weeks later...
I would love to do an iron terrain builder. After Gencon of course.

Although at that point we will be working on the next project meaning I won't have any time again. BAH!

Maybe I'll help judge.

Next project, as in a Malifaux Expansion? Oh boy!

Also, its OK if you're just judging, Bug... we've all seen your work and its sheer awesomness... :D

• 4 weeks later...

I can take this up if you folks will get jiggy with me...

I will be on vaction until after Sept 7, so I can't commit anything until then but I would be more than happy to run this, with anyone's help if they'd like.

Let me read through all these posts and consolidate some info...

(my god, I really can't spell)

Here are my ideas of how I would run this contest if I am offered the job

Format Head to head parings, however NON elimination. Winner of the match would have a bonus (say +2 points for example) added to their total for the round. New random parings each round. This will allow for some smack talk and rivalries and all fun that comes along with those things. You can drop your lowest score or 1 DNF to allow for life's little mishaps or maybe you’re just not thrilled on building 1 theme. The last round would be the highest (4? depending on participants) total scores battling it out for the trophy.

Length3-5 rounds. Each round would be 2-4 weeks depending on the theme. Larger themes would have a longer deadline.

You are not required to enter all rounds if you don't want to advance to the finals. Anyone can enter something any week as long as they let me know so they can be paired up. In the case of an odd number of entries, the non paired person could be scored against the average of all other entries. Some prizes could go out every round to encourage participation and not require a full commitment.

Themes These would be broad enough to allow for gamers and non gamers alike to show off their creativity, design, painting skills and construction fu. They will however, be specific enough to allow for a standard set of judging keeping things even across the board. Themes will be announced and construction can begin. A dated WIP shot of some kind will be required to ensure new work and complete integrity.

Scoring Will be done by a panel of local personalities that we all love and hate (Hate because they are so good. Some very talented people have previously volunteered to help judge, so you better come strong). Scores will be done on a consistent format each week so each rounds totals (drop lowest round) will be added to determine the top people to advance to the finals. Categories for judges scoring are yet to be determined however I really like Skya's categories of

1: How well is it built and painted

2: How well does the theme come through

3: What is the overall impression of the piece

This is by no means official and nothing has been approved by Wyrd These are just my ideas of how I think I could make it: open to everyone (with any involvement level), work out fairly, fun, and a of course a bit of iron.

I would need to polish this up a bit but there's my basic outline of the contest I would run. Of course everything would be set in stone before it begins and nothing should be left to question. I’ll try and sneak in some misc twists/bonuses here or there to add to the funas well. If you have any thoughts/ideas/suggestions/potential disasters, please speak up so I/someone else can get this going.

I think it would be a lot of fun and we could all create some really great stuff with this.

Thoughts? Would this format encourage you to get in on the action

Edited by Peterdita