Contests, Challenges ... and Changes. Help us out!

Nathan Caroland

Variety would be the best way to net new gamers. While a terrain building contest is great it is another Art aspect of the hobby. Some other contests/prizes which would be great are as follows:

-Leagues with some sort of League acknowledging patch, pin, certificate or trophy

-Tournament support kits with medals, certificates etc

-Large venue leagues and tournaments which happen at big places like GenCon etc with special minis available for participants and a special trophy for top 3.

-Demo door prizes for people to give out when doing demos

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm a brand new player. I just did a big gaming weekend with a few friends, and they had just picked up the Malifaux rulebook, and the Cult of December and Viktorias box sets, and we played a bit with those, and then used them as proxies for some of the other factions to try a bunch of things out, and I really appreciated what the game does for minis. I'm planning on buying a few minis (I have my eye on a hybrid Witch Hunter/Death Marshal squad) next week, and what I'd really like to see from Wyrd is distributor support.

I play Magic: the Gathering, and one of the best things Wizards does is their weekly tournament support. They foil up a promo card every month, and send them out to every sanctioned shop, and the shops hold small tournaments weekly, or twice weekly, or bi-weekly, or whatever. Prizes include packs and promo cards, which are really cool. I live kind of near Cavalry Games in Milwaukee, and I see they're offering gift certificates as prizes, but doing something promotional for the game might be neat too. Clearly, promotional minis wouldn't work out so well, but maybe do punch-out terrain to make towers, or buildings, or trees, or something, although I suppose most mini-hobbyists prefer to build there own.

I guess I don't really have a concrete suggestion of what would be feasible, but I would say working on some sort of unique tournament reward for small-scale tournaments would be really nice.

• 1 month later...

Personally, I think that most of us tend to follow one faction over the others. I play Neverborn almost exclusively. While I've tried other factions, I think the Neverborn is the best fit for me. That being said, why not have faction specific challenges?

I'm in agreement that terrain contests would be very cool. However, I'd like to see faction specific terrain contests, as a way of narrowing the field. Plus, the terrain needs to be relatively small. You won't draw that many people into a contest that requires a 3 story building. But, if you had a contest that required a 3" x 3" piece, then it would seem a lot less intimidating for the people who aren't normally into terrain building.

As far as prizes go, tags for your signature line work very well on other forums for drawing people in. One other forum I'm a member of asks people to "vow" to complete a challenge and you get a tag for your signature line whether you complete it or fail. Of course, if you fail to meet the challenge, your tag line says that you failed and you have to wear the mark of shame. Speaking of which, I need to get to work so I don't earn the mark of shame.