A new Iron Painter?

supervike

Whatever, Darklord. I'd say they chose the fun winner over the stuffy uptight Brit.

At least we can both agree that the French guy gave up, even though there wasn't a German in sight. :P

I think my entries were the fun one, hell its only the humour that got me through!!

the french guy lost as he had to spend half the time counting how many minis he had left to do

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The length of Iron Painter is one of the things that makes it great. Yes, when there are a lot of entrants it does seem to drag on, but that's something that people should expect (especially by now).

I would say that if the length is of great concern, you could always implement something for the first round where people are not paired. Instead, they paint their entries, each entry is judged (like it is now) and the top 10 (or 12 or 16 or how ever many you decide) will then move onto rounds where they are paired off. Personally, I still like the idea of pairing people off, no matter how long it takes.

What other things should we implement?

I believe it was mentioned - either during or right after the last IP - to limit the number of entrants to a certain number, but not to limit the number of people signing up. Those that signed up after the first 32 - or 64 or whatever - would be "Wyrd Cards" who would still have to paint something. They would then be able to take the place of anyone that DNF'd, thus keeping the pairings even and not allowing anyone to simply advance by virtue of their opponent having to deal with personal issues.

This option would only be available during the first round.

I do like the first proposal. make no limit for entrants, make no pairing in the first, preliminary round, take as many best scoring entries to the 2nd round as you wish.

make it in the new year and I'm in this time...Judging was way harder than taking part.

I don't think there needs to be any major changes It's the comp that it is because of the way it works .. Timing is key really.. That's why I say wait until the new year. holiday periods are bad enough as it is and also folks who rely on models been delivered are at a straight disadvantage over the holiday period.

Themes.. vary them up a bit... I'll be honest I'm glad I wasn't in the last one as the whole song titles thing just wasn't my thing...the themes should test techniques as well as out of the box thinking....

WIP's are worth a bonus point or two on top of the entrants final score... This was severely lacking last time and is one of the real fun elements of the comp...

Prize mini Prize mini Prize mini............

Coming up with themes is harder than one might think....especially wanting to keep them different enough to avoid repitition, yet unspecific enough to allow for 'creativeness'. I'm always open to suggestions. I actually liked the 'meta-theme' (theme within the theme), and enjoyed how I never mentioned it was so until late in the game....

A couple of things I really don't like about the Iron Painter....

I still want IP to be a community exercise. The IP generates lots of great discussion on the forum, but as we get towards the final rounds, most of the discussion is only from the remaining participants. I'm trying to devise a way to keep the spectators involved.

The length of the whole thing is a bit much. But, less than 2 weeks is WAY too demanding of the 'talent'. Maybe a mid-season break? I think that would ruin the flow.

There isn't enough 'vike admiration. I want parades dammit!

I'm still formulating an idea that would be a 'companion' contest to the Iron Painter. Something along the idea of teams. Like a 'survivor' type game show. Where painters could be voted off....still scratching my head around the particulars, but it's got all the elements I want. Community participation, cut throatedness, and parades for Vike.

Hiya folks.

Is there interest in another Iron Painter?

fuck yeah

Do we like the current incarnation?

pretty much

What could be changed?

more surrealism

and those lovely ideas I emailed you :)

'course if you use them then I couldn't play....but I could volunteer to judge

Time length too short? Too Long? Just right?

just right

What other things should we implement?

extra points for bizzare interpretations. And surrealism

Are the themes too dorky?

nah

Should we do something with teams?

ack! no!

How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?

I bite :)

Prizes?

Can I have Daniel Craig?

Some sort of kickback to supervike?

I suppose I could lend you Daniel Craig.....

The thought of entering IP terrifies me, so I don't think I'll be in on this one. I struggle to paint one figure in a month let alone base it as well. As suggested earlier, if Mr Vikey needs some non-competing minions to do some of the more trivial things to help speed up the process in between rounds then I'm happy to help :)

Supervike: About the meta theme, I should just clarify that it was the fact that the theme titles were from pretty much the same source: you know, if there had been some Tangerine Dream or Cocteau Twins song titles in there, for instance, that would have been a whole different bag of bones!

How about some Mindless Self Indulgence songs? Or Slayer songs?

We could go completely off the deep end and go with Lacrimosa and Abney Park songs.

Or even take a dip into foreign languages and go with Ramstein. If you really wanted something open to interpretation go with Holts Carmina Berana!

So many options.... Must sit. Head spinning...

No reason to be fair to me!

The meta-theme wasn't really a conscious decision until after round one....

The little random drawing I did for round one was just for the artist to use 'blue'...but I tried to give it a name, to make it snappier. 'I Guess that's why they call it the Blues' just sprang to mind....Then I started looking for classic rock songs for inspiration and there you go...What I would do is think of painting techniques or color choices, and then see if I could fit a song around that. If I could, that song 'went into the bucket'.

It's certainly not something I HAVE to do, but I just like how it gave the whole season an overall 'flavor'.

I think, however, that if we do another IP, it will be at the beginning of the New Year. I'm still very open to suggestions and critiques though.

I would like to happily announce that the guest room is painted...and if I ever use that as an excuse again, I'm just being a jerk :D

WELL!

Isn't THAT good news. I expect we will be seeing updated stats in a few hours then right?

You can, of course, use the rules set as an excuse any time you want. Because that will mean you are supplying us fanboiz more grist to chew through.

I still want IP to be a community exercise. The IP generates lots of great discussion on the forum, but as we get towards the final rounds, most of the discussion is only from the remaining participants. I'm trying to devise a way to keep the spectators involved.

Only way to keep spectators involved is blood, or give them some power to change the game. How about a Poll for the next round's theme every few rounds? How about a Spectator Vote that gives someone a few extra added points? How about you designate a few random spectators still onvolved in the thread to cast an "added point award" to one lucky contestant? But they have to do so before they see the judging results. Or perhaps a guest judge that has the power to save 1 unwilling victim?

Otherwise, it's a great contest, and getting voted out the first round is a highly recommended experience for all of you. Even Skya. ;-) I hope to participate, but as always, my health comes first so it's all up in the air.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am glad that the consensus is for after the Holidays. Nothing ruins Festivus like having to kick some non family members a$$ with painting feats of iron. As for the questions, y y n y y n m m .

We had the Vikey day parade here in New Jersey, but some little fat guy in red and white seemed to have taken the SuperV's spot.

The only thing I can say about the themes is that maybe instead of all music which seemed to keep repeating the music idea even marginally, would be to maybe rotate the sources, as in maybe a Movie title, then music, then TV, or Historic Quote, or a Cartoon misquote of a famous quote or some pop culture reference..( They killed Kenny, In the morning we can make waffles, Those weren't pillows, There's the first chink in the Armor, These aren't the Droids your looking for, When you came in, I smelled insanity, but I didn't think it was you Lemon) etc.

LavronYor is gone no more....

Edited by LavronYor
better quote