A bunch of shorts :)

moonrise

i've written quite a few lately (although for different companies :s) sorry if this might not be the appropriate place to post, but here goes :) i won't paste the stories here directly, but i will post my blog link :) it's got nothing but short stories for all the miniature companies i've worked for :)

www.lunarpetals.blogspot.com

enjoy, and comments and suggestions are always welcome :)!

• 4 weeks later...

I have only skimmed through the stuff you've written, but you mentioned something about the stories being written for other miniature lines. Have you tried writing anything based on Wyrd characters? There are still a handful of them we know nothing about, so it wouldn't yet conflict with any fluff out there if you picked the right ones. Then, if you wanted to write about some of the characters who have already been established all you need to do is check out the Wyrd e-zine vol 1 and 2 to get a pretty solid recap on whats out there so far. Vol. 3 is in the works right now from what we've heard. I know a lot of people here would love to read some fluff about Wyrd characters.

oh yeah, these stories were written for other companies (with permission, of course :D). i'm the fiction writer for Felix Paniagua's Avatars of War series, and i also do some freelancing :) i did try writing a short story about Lady Justice, but i was kind of hesitant to finish it because my writing style greatly differs from the Wyrd e-zine :s i usually try to focus on combat, emotion, and a little bit of drama :P i'm not trying to sound like an anime fanboy, but most of the classical fantasy i've read seemed to be all about nothing but "courage", "loyalty", "kill a thousand orcs, get the gorgeous babe", or "the world's fate hangs in balance-- IN YOUR HANDS!!" type of followings, and i really try to differ from that. i'm not saying that those patterns are bad, but because they rather tend to get overused. and when that happens, everything turns cliche hehehehe.

and usually, i don't post stories about minis that i haven't asked for permission yet, even though i am already tempted as HELL to post them :D i try to keep my writings formal and business-like, so that just in case one would be interested in hiring my services, i do not end up already having given away a majority of the ideas that could've been better off used on a commission basis :)

but don't worry. if my permission would be approved, lady justice would be there ^_^

As far as permission goes...I can't speak directly for Wyrd, but I think when Nathan decided to have the writing forum it pretty much gave permission to anybody interested to have a go at posting their stories. Just because its posted here doesn't deem it part of the official storylines. If you take a look at the older stories in this particular forum I think there are a few by maybe even Nathan himself that differ from the current direction Wyrd is going with it's stories.

The way I understand it, people can write about any of the characters in any way they want for the sake of having fun and hopefully providing an enjoyable story for the other forum members. Heck, I could write a story that ends in the death of nearly 1/2 the Wyrd characters, but it isn't going to affect anything because it isn't an official story - therefore the people reading it do so with a grain of caution and understanding of what exactly they are getting into. All I can say is give it a go and hopefully you'll write a story that is a great read. Heck, if you write a story that is good enough it might help spark some interest from the big whigs here and possibly get you a shot at writing some official stories - who knows?! Only one way to find out ;)

As for the theme and content of the stories, I think you'll find that the Wyrd style of things lends itself very much to anything but cliche themes. You've got a bunch of very unique characters and organizations to work with, all with more unusual motives than you'll find in the classic fantasy stories. Take Seamus for instance. He is one of our resident necromancers - one of the professions in classic fantasy that lends itself to anti-social dark beings. While Seamus has a dark side and motivations, he comes off as one of the biggest playboys in Malifaux. He's a very well-mannered socialite until he sics his Rotten Belles on you. He's also in the middle of some search for an artifact(s) that we have yet to find the purpose of.

Like I said....give it a go and see what kind of response you get from the forum members. I know the people love a good story about Wyrd characters. And honestly....so what if it differs from the direction the official stories go? If you start getting paid by Wyrd to write stories then I'd start worrying about that, but in the meantime, write the stories you want to write.

hehehe. i guess i have to blame my heritage for our shyness ^_^

truth be told, i've already written a short for Lady justice and bishop. it's just that i really like waiting for a superior's permission before i proceed with anything. honestly speaking, even though it is free-for-all to post, i still prefer to do things the old fashioned way :D

but sure, i'll start to post Lady Justice and Bishop fics on my blog later. i'll update here ASAP when it's done :)

here's an update of what i made :) i hope i can make a new thread soon ^_^

“Good to see you back, Justice.” The Judge welcomed his comrade. “Anything new with your rounds?”

“Hmph.” She retorted. “This past week I always ended up with a struggler. Seems I can’t bring back more in alive than I promised.”

“Don’t be so tough on yourself.” The Death Marshal guffawed. “We all make mistakes. In fact, I got a tidbit of news bound to cheer you up…” he paused, scratching his chin.

“What is it?”

“We’ve received new word about some disturbance not far from here. Some two clicks west, five kilometers up north.”

“And what was the report about?” Justice brushed her hair back.

“Mass murder. The gruesome kind.” The Judge cracked his knuckles as he fastened his coat.

“Were there any ulterior motives? What was the mess about?” her tone a bit excited and curious.

“Hah! Some bastards pretending to be with us, probably part of a larger criminal underworld. Funny how criminals these days try to link themselves with the law.” The man snickered coolly as a smile spread across the Lady’s tender cherry lips. “That’s not all.” He added. “This is part where the story gets interesting...!”

“Get him!” barked one of the guards as they tried to keep pace with the escapee. Salvos of bullets hailed down on Bishop, but neither hit their mark.

“What in the hell?” he miffed as he kept dodging following barrages.

“Don’t let’em escape, boys! The boss won’t be happy if someone found out about this!” another of the footmen exclaimed as they drew nearer to their prey.

“Dammit!” Bishop gritted his teeth. He had been boxed in on a dead end.

“Looks like the end’ve the line fer ye.” One of the grunts stepped forward with a spiked bat in hand. He was but one of the tens of thugs that closed in on him. Looks like it was going to be tougher to escape than he anticipated. “Say good night, boy!” the ruffian concluded with a brutish strike meant to hammer Bishop’s skull apart. But he wouldn’t want his life to end just like that. Not now, when there’s more that needs to be done.

The goon’s jaw dropped with surprise as his quarry swiftly deflected the attack before it even happened, at the same time managing to tie a knot of chains on the outstretched limb. Then, pulling both ends with wicked force, Bishop amputated the man’s arm with relative ease and kicked the awe-stricken fool away, much to the horror of his maddened spectators. He glared at the armed crowd, waiting for the next to make a move, the next opportunity to strike and break free from the chase. He needed that next chance. And it gladly presented itself.

One more lackey didn’t quite learn the lesson, and so the doomed pawn was bound to pay the price.

The chains seemed to extend infinitely as he threw it at the challenger, coiling around his neck then pulling him back with brutish strength that the brittle column of bone snapped like a cracker and killed the man instantly. Using the momentum of the dead weight as it hurtled toward him in mid-air, he spun the entangled corpse violently, crashing it against a good number of troops, grinding a lot of bones into fine powder for sure.

Sensing that his enemies were now aware of his tactics, he held the whirling chain overhead and churned it some more to pick up additional speed. Perhaps they were not as cognizant of his motives as he thought.

The lifeless heap of flesh shot towards the next rank of enforcers, scattering some ten to fifteen men about. Finally, there was breathing room. Darting towards the temporary clearing he readied his shackles once more and lashed side to side, the weighted end of blunt steel hitting with such force that steel broke and flesh bruised. Weapon hafts, broken blades, bits of flesh and sprays of blood trialed him as he went.

His guilt hammered down on him as Bishop rebuked himself for partaking in another grisly act, but only because he had no choice. As he faded off into the distance, the cries of pain were drowned out by the wolf’s howl, and the torn dead illuminated under the gaze of the blood-red moon.

C+C welcome ^_^

Edited by moonrise

I must have missed your past update, it was probably my favorite so far. I like how it is coming together.

I have a couple of small points that may or may not be valid or affect your direction. First, I got the sense from your 3rd story that you were writing as if Judge is the 'superior officer' to Lady Justice, but it is in fact the other way around. That may not be your intention, but for some reason I picked up on it like that. Secondly, and this one I can't validate and is only based on a shady memory, but I think Bishop is supposed to have some sort of connection with electricity. I don't know why I'm thinking that but I must have seen or read it somewhere.

Keep up the good work.

I've been lax about certain parts of the forum and this is one of them - my apologies about that.

First off, Tang up there hit is square on about Wyrd and the writing, feel free to write whatever, no permission needed for a bit of fan fiction as we all enjoy a good read and I in particular get a tickle out of that sort of stuff.

I haven't read any of the stories yet, or the update you posted, but I'll take some time out to do so this week (bit too busy right now). Rather looking forward to it now to be honest.

Thanks for taking the time and sorry if it seemed as if I was ignoring you!

ahh... so bishop's affinity electricity... okay, i'll shape it up from there. sorry for the missed marks. will try to omit errors in the upcoming posts ^_^

oh and regarding judge and justice, he only behaved so because i assumed they have been working closely for a while. kinda like a buddy-buddy nudge hehehe.

Just a continuation, not really a new chapter :) will add some more soon. thanks!

“What in the hell…?” the Judge stood amidst the field of horribly mangled bodies.

“The smell of blood…. It reeks.” The supreme Lady of law hissed as she secured the lock on her holsters.

“But isn’t it strange, madam? Only a beast could do something like this,” he questioned as he pointed at the corpses. “And there hasn’t been any report of animal sightings in a while.”

“Maybe because we aren’t looking for one.” Justice hypothesized calmly. “Look at that neck.” Her sharpened senses picking up anomaly. Despite being sightless, she could still discern even the most intricate of details. “Do they look like fang marks to you?”

“No,” was his answer, taking a closer look. “Looks more like strangulation marks. But judging on the cadaver’s position, there are very minimal signs of struggle.” The Judge’s voice sounding amused.

“And whoever did this has some skill, disposing off all these guards like that.” The death marshal concluded, clutching a patch of earth that stained her leather gloves. “Whoever did this…” shifting her blindsights north. “He’s good.”

The skies soon turned dark and grey, flashes piercing the looming shadows. A storm was coming their way.

His breathing deepened as rain started to pour down. The frigid drops of liquid jogged his mind as he let Heaven’s tears wash him clean. The shade of his hair blended perfectly with the sylvan that shrouded him. The icy chill of the air grasped his lungs with their icy claws. There was an unusual pang in his gut. Applying pressure on the aching region, he felt out-of-place warmth along with mild adhesion. To his shock, his hand was crimson. It seems that a bullet did manage to land its mark.

“Oh, no…” The pain escalated as the adrenalin that fueled him started to dissipate. An abrupt shortage of endorphin rocked his senses, severely crippling his coordination skills. “How long had I been bleeding…?”

Bishop’s instinctive response was to close the wound. The only problem was he had no tools, and most importantly, no idea on how to do so. He felt panic. “Think, dammit… think!”

He did think alright, but the wrong kind of thoughts entered his mind.

Visions of his torture, his moments of agony and pain, they flashed before him in vivid cruelty. The wounded warrior gnashed his teeth and crumbled into a writhing mess, roaring out in anguish as he clenched his fists in a mixture of fury and desperation. The wound wasn’t getting any better. “Not now! Not *now*!”

Thunder raged and lightning crackled furiously across the pitch black sky as he wallowed in the realm of despair. As his torment grew darker, so did the thunderstorm’s fury, the pulse of electricity keeping in tune with his rasping. His excruciation danced with the spikes of energy that were temptingly nearing on to him. The sensation was already unbearable.

Bishop, in a ditch effort, struggle to get up off his knees and stretch out his arm, calling out to the skies or to whoever could hear him, pleading for help or just release from his distasteful disposition. And that cry was all that was needed.

Pure, unrestrained surge of lightning shot down from the heavens. The inviolable force tore through him. For a moment he felt lifeless, but he did not die. For some reason, he did not die.

Lightning… it played about him, calling out to him, submitting itself to him. It was as if an old power had reawakened inside his dying soul.

tried to apply Bishop's lightning affinity. it only seems like it was his first time due to his temporary memory loss caused by concussion hehehe.

C+C welcome. thanks!

Edited by moonrise

another continuation ^_^

“Very interesting…” Justice chuckled to herself as they stood over the rise not far from the straggling Bishop. The death marshals had been marching his direction for quite a while now, trying to keep track of the berserker on the loose without blowing their cover. For two days without ceasing they had become his shadow, but now it was time they switched and become the consuming wraith.

“Slowly.” The Judge whispered with precaution as he signaled two of his subordinates to creep closer towards their target. Caskets in hand, they tarried with utmost care and silence, not taking the risk of spoiling the element of surprise. The opacity of the night’s black provided them the ultimate shroud they could use to carry out their objective.

“What’s the situation?” the blindfolded vixen called out to one of the Guild members guarding her flank,

“Subject seems to be incapacitated, madam.”

“Good.” Everything was falling into their favor. They just had to wait for the best opportunity to strike.

Sparks ran around his fingertips, the tingly feeling lingered about him like the smell of ripening fruit. Amused, he tried exercising his fledgling skill, but the jolts hardly escaped his digits. Even after a multitude of trials, to no avail. Perhaps the idea of being in affinity with electricity was just a trick of his mind. Or was it a dream? He wondered if the experience was a gift from the skies. But it did not matter. Wherever, whoever it came from, he was thankful. The rains have ceased, the heavens have calmed, and the wild gusts have died down. For once, everything was peaceful. Maybe now was the perfect time to reflect on what had happened before.

All he could remember was having a night out with his peers some nine to ten nights ago. That was it. He never saw anything out of place with what they were doing that time. Innocent civilians. They did not deserve to be abused. They did not deserve to be mistreated. They did not deserve to be beaten and scourged to death. They did not deserve the grisly fate that had befallen them. And yet they were brought to the slaughter. Bishop felt infuriated with the stupidity of the misdeed done against them.

“I will make them pay.” He promised gazing at the moon. “Guild, Death Marshal, whatever they maybe, I will bring them to their knees for their corruption."

His meditation crumbled the moment he heard the snapping of a twig just behind him.

Intuitive reflexes goaded him to extend his arm as if reaching out, but to his awe he instead found himself unleashing streams of raw energy, burning streams of galvanic maelstrom that illuminated the curtain of shadows as it railed through the open. To his dumbfounding, and his relief, luckily no one was there. By the gods, his hands trembled with unexplained eagerness.

Thanks to honed senses he and his allegiants managed to get down in a split-second, otherwise they would have been badly torn up if the lightning hit them. The Judge could not help but grab a marshal by the collar and tug repeatedly.

C+C welcome. thanks!

new one :)

“I see…” he marveled at his newly discovered skill. “I guess it’s emotion that controls it.” Basing from analogy, his instinctive response to surprise resulted in total manipulation of the element. He smiled at the thought of endless possibilities regarding his rising strength.

He thought of his friends, the ones butchered before. A crackling, static field of pure electrical force engulfed his vicinity.

The fear and panic he felt during his great escape provoked forks of barbed lightning to strike down from the sky. The tree beside him wasn’t quite lucky.

The sweet bliss of freedom and the peace that it brought coursed a calm and rhythmic pulse in him. The killing jolts were intact and behaved. At this state, he was in total control.

Bishop was finally getting the hang of this callow skill. Perhaps he could sharpen them up later on. For now, maybe, he’d just mix and match. But for now, it was time to rest.

“Enough. Move in. Now!” the once soothing voice of Lady Justice turned cold as the situation started to tip off balance. In acknowledgment, the two Death Marshals posted on her rear quickened their advance, where the blind maiden also followed suit, gracefully leaping from one roost to the other, unhindered by her darkened vision.

“Judge,” she whispered. “It’s time to end this.”

“Yes, ma’am.” He saluted with a nod as he called for his support team. The enforcer poked his head out of the ridge for a while, trying to go for a quick scan of the surroundings. It seems that the target was still unaware of their presence. He couldn’t help but smile underneath his mask.

The whole squad eyed their leader for the go signal, one which came as a piercing snap of her fingers.

Bishop had no idea why it suddenly rained caskets. Stumbling and rolling back, he barely managed to escape being crushed under the massive weight of the wooden shells.

“What in the…?” he took a small step back, trying to study the foreign object from a feint distance. But to his surprise, blue light pierced out of the cracks and creases. It rumbled and banged restlessly, forcing the other end to open. Before he could react, and ethereal blue mist shot out and seized him by the neck, where the subzero chills it wrought caused him to cry out in agony.

“Engage!” he could hear a woman’s voice call out as he saw a small group of armed individuals charge towards him. Struggling to break free from the grasp, he relied on his lightning conjurations to nullify the hex. After a burst of sparks and splinters, the ghostly force that bound him dissipated along with the coffin that used to house it.

Desperate to get his strength back up, he took on a defensive stance and readied his chains, prepared to face off the six strangers that closed in on him as well as the rest of the caskets that rattled endlessly. He could feel the spirit of thunder rage in him.

C+C welcome :)!

Edited by moonrise