any more Malifaux teasers?

thetang22

Yes, while the game won't include a full CCG style deck, there will be some ways to add flavor to the deck. This decision was largely made due to balancing issues, and the time it would have taken to try to initially balance a full miniature game and a full CCG simultaneously.

However, I and my whole development team love the idea really taking advantage of the cards and making a system which allows both deck and miniature customization of your warband, so look for it in an "advanced" version of the game which will be developed later.

This system that you are working on becomes more and more exciting as time goes by.

My issues with CCGs have always been that there is no real artistic flavor that the end user and add to the game. Miniature games rarely have the depth of customization that is available to CCGs. If Wyrd manages to pull off a hybrid I think you will have a huge winner and draw quite a bit from the vast CCG crowd.

<happy dance>

A custom deck is something that worries me a little tbh. I do not mind making a few minor changes, be it adds ons or subtracting cards. It just reminds me of stuff that happened with clan wars, the decks became out of control and ended up being more important that the skill of the players was how to build the perfect deck/army combo. Maybe instead of adding too many cards each group/faction has special card combos that can be played, a type of dead mans hand that would be different depending on what you played.

the decks became out of control and ended up being more important that the skill of the players was how to build the perfect deck/army combo.

IMO any constructible game has always had this to be true. From the earliest days of M:TG, one's ability at assembling a killer deck was at least as important as how one played in achieving success. Miniatures games that I've played have followed suit to a much lesser degree, but army compo is still very important. I've never yet seen the minis game that was so perfectly balanced that I could say with confidence that any game composed of equally-pointed sides constituted a fair match. That, IMO, is the holy grail of game balance, but it likely would require watering-down rules systems and special abilities so far as to make the game largely uninteresting.

Now, if they could only write the Infinity rules to be comprehensive to native English speakers...

Guys, consider this: instead of a constructed deck the cards may be swapouts for cards in a typical playing deck. Say you have a card that activates something for a group, maybe it'll be keyed as the 5 of clubs. You'd swap out the 5 of clubs from your deck for this card. It'd function just like the 5C but also activate its effect if played on/for the right person/group.

More along those lines than a full CCG. Construction within very specific limits. I'm a veteran CCG'er and have seen how easily they can be abused (likewise Clan Wars' tactics deck - which was a great idea initially), and would hate to see that happen here - and will contribute what I can to avoid it. ;)

Infinity's a great game assuming you can comprehend it's poorly written/organized rulebook and have a crapload of city terrain to fight it with.

The game felt a little, bland originally but the past few months they've really expanded the game with a lot of new rules. It's looking better and better every month.

• 2 weeks later...

I asked this particular question in a different thread a while back and it never got answered, so I thought I'd repost the question here:

"Will there be any limit on the number of minions a group can bring into the game? I'm thinking along the line of the resurrections with bringing the dead back or possibly generating the dead from nothing. I'm just concerned whether the minis being sold in the pre-made groups will be enough or if I'm gonna find myself in a position of trying to raise a 4th zombie into the game when I only started with 3."