Thoughts on the Demo at Gen Con

TheBugKing

Completely diceless sir.

To be honest this is really what excites me the most.

The ability to have a hand and use that as an added strategic interaction is brilliant!

The faction affinity is also an interesting mechanic.

I'm sure that you haven't gotten the number set in stone yet, but what is the general starting hand size and do you plan on having a cap of the cards in hand?

Will certain minions be able to influence that? Can kills generate card draw as bonuses? Could the death of certain figures have negative effects that could cause discards? Man the possibilities are near endless with this!

On a more personal note:

If you can (Yes yes closed beta) could you disclose some of the effects that terrain has on the game? (Beyond the obvious LOS bits.) Elevation effects. Destroyable terrain? Things like that.

To be honest this is really what excites me the most.

The ability to have a hand and use that as an added strategic interaction is brilliant!

ditto !

I have a small request... is it possible to scan some card samples for us to see how they do look like ?

really glad the demos have caught some attention! The game has been a huge undertaking, considering we've basically started over 2 times to get a ruleset that lived up to the minis. I'll be able to answer more questions about it all once the Gencon is done and I'm back home and somewhat caught up on sleep. (just to let you know I'm not ignoring anyone or any questions/requests)

I would like to say a HUGE thank you to all the guys who helped demo and discuss the game in booth with passerby's, I couldn't have done it alone, as even taking part of the workload I am losing my voice!

ORLY!

I didn't make that face - it was more like MUTHAEFFINYEA! face.

I got a couple of demo's and I'm excited. I was sooo damn excited that I drug my buddy back to the booth, made him check it out and he got excited. We both picked up starters and some other various figs and will be anxiously awaiting further development.

The game play so far is smooth, the mechanix are intelligent and the game has a good flow to it even in the infancy stages.

Having a diceless game is a very unique twist, but with a 54 card deck you still have a random but more controllable play.

You also have to look at the game more tactically...you don't have the 'I'll throw this unit here and make as many attacks as possible and hope I can weather the retributition' aspect. You've got the...'well if I play this card for this and get beat, I don't have another card currently that's gonna help me on the retribution play...hell do I do it??? Damn...maybe I'll get a good draw...I hope I get a good draw...if I do play this can I bluff my way into a better position?'

It adds a unique depth to the game that I haven't experienced in other mini games.

I dig it.

I don't think I can give you any other gameplay bits that weren't covered in Kel's and Eric's TTGN video.

Oh and I got me a Joker card here in my grubby little mits. :P

D

I'll bet there is an ability that allows you to shuffle your deck.

If there isn't there should be.

I would imagine that you move through the deck rather quickly as it is. If every offensive action see's two cards and you assume each character can attack only once per turn that puts about 10 to 12 cards in the bin a turn. Add in a hand of 7 and conceivably you burn the entire deck in 4 turns. I would imagine that the games lasted more then 4 turns once figures engaged each other. I would also imagine that some figures can attack more then once a turn making the deck disappear even faster.

I'll bet there is an ability that allows you to shuffle your deck.

Ding.

Exactly for the reasons mentioned above. Nothing like going through the first 10 cards in your deck and all your most useful cards already gone.

Now, can you 'always' do this? Negative. Because [censored]

You also have to look at the game more tactically...you don't have the 'I'll throw this unit here and make as many attacks as possible and hope I can weather the retributition' aspect. You've got the...'well if I play this card for this and get beat, I don't have another card currently that's gonna help me on the retribution play...hell do I do it??? Damn...maybe I'll get a good draw...I hope I get a good draw...if I do play this can I bluff my way into a better position?'

This is a big thing. You can see the wheels turning as a player's trying to decide which resource is more important, his models or his cards in-hand. Should he go all out and be left without any way to effect what happens when his opponent comes back on him, or should he play conservatively with his cards and parcel out?

Really nice to see folks interested at the demos!

You need details to have speculative discussions now? :o

Of course!

We are obviously speculating over the tantalizing tidbits that have been disclosed so far. It's clear that Eric and Nathan want a solid product and are scared silly that we will take details of a beta product as gospel. Still, at this point there have to be a few details that are considered complete! With those we can speculate about how the holes will be filled up!

Man, they're speculating 'the Retribution' on the PP boards. No more details than the NAME and it's generating 15 pages...come on, you guys can do better with little info! ;)

Yeah, but isn't that just a new add-on to a pre-existing game? They already have all the basic rules set in stone and pre-existing fluff to base what the title might actually mean. We are starting from scratch and have very little in the way of gameplay to have any solid ideas on what things might be.

Also, I said we need more details to have "educated" speculation. Sorta like, you tell us what A and B are, and we'll try and see how those add up to the speculated C.

*** huh...I just figured out why some of my other posts would have all the paragraphs clumped together into one big mess of text - Javascript has to be enabled or else is doesn't recognize the 'enter' button for creating spaces between paragraphs

Edited by thetang22