Mercenaries in Malifaux

thetang22

How will the mercenaries play into warband composition in Malifaux? I think I've seen something about how they will be able to be 'hired out' by just about any other faction (I figure there will be limitations on this - like Killjoy teaming with the Guild - doesn't seem to make a lot of sense).

Will Mercenaries exist as a faction on their own? Will you be able to make an army solely of mercenaries? There are probably enough mercenaries that I like that seem like they would make a nice warband on their own.

I'll let Eric get into the specifics of how exactly your warbands will be able to bring mercenaries in but I can answer some of it.

Yes, you'll be able to field a full mercenary warband. They won't have some of the inherent bonuses or negatives that come with fielding certain factions, but overall they should be a fun, if somewhat disjointed group at times and we're currently looking at putting together a full mercenary faction within the group itself. We'll see how that pans out.

Certain mercenaries will not, or cannot, work with some groups, or even with other mercenaries as their backgrounds are too diverse. Killjoy is a good example, the Guild won't be summoning him into working for them any time soon.

We're also looking at making it a bit more interesting for some of the Mercenaries and how/why they will work for you. Killjoy is also another example, yes, you'll have to pay your point cost for him, but being that he is such a big bad ass and Neverborn to boot, you'll have to pay a Sacrifice for him, which basically means, you'll have to sacrifice a minion to him at the start of the game in order to bind his contract to your warband. Basically, he chops up and eats a minion, removing him from game play and putting him on your side and officially 'hired'.