Anonymus comments

I was thinking more along the lines of questions that might affect how that person might score the mini:)

squig

Shouldn't the mini and the photos speak for themselves? If a competition entry needs to be explained to be appreciated, then I would say it has not been that well thought out or presented and if that affects the scoring it is rightfully so.

"Shouldn't the mini and the photos speak for themselves? If a competition entry needs to be explained to be appreciated, then I would say it has not been that well thought out or presented and if that affects the scoring it is rightfully so."

I can see were you're coming from, but totally disagree (not just concerning miniatures but in general.) the right words can add so much more depth to a picture. (and a painted miniature is still a picture.) besides as this forum has international cultural backgrounds its impossible to have all aspect sharp and clear to everyone all the time.

I think especially with dioramas or other *artistic* themed painting competitions would benefit for this.

(like most in the iron painter department.)

offcourse when you are talking straightforward matter, the picture should tell enough (when the goal of the contest is only about showing your flawless painting skills.) but since most competitions here on wyrd also *demand* some cleverness, creativity and interpretation, words can help in many cases, and it doesnt mean the work is done wrong.

While I think a painting competition should be about painting and connected abilities, which due to the on-line format of the competition includes photography, there is also the possibility to write a description of your entry if you really think that is necessary to make it appealing. I don't really see how it would benefit the competition if the entrants are given the opportunity to argue with those who comment on their entries. As I see it, once you've entered the competition and the deadline is up the thing is out of your hands... Any flaws in presentation, composition or anything else that you may want to further explain should rightfully be counted into the judging of the entry. That's the way I see it.

I think my point is more that people give suggestions and ask questions in the comments and then never get back to seeing if they got replied to. This tends to mean there isnt a whole lot of discussion about the pieces. Just ok, I voted, maybe I made a comment, oh and that one over there won. It's only when the occasional one gets reposted in the main forums afterwards that discussion ensues and even then it's kinda light, because well everyone looked at it ages ago and it's not fresh in their minds. Anyways, I dont think it's a huge deal, it would just be a nice.

"there is also the possibility to write a description of your entry "

oh yeah, I forgot about that, thats what I get for never ever having participated yet *blush* :)

additionally, I have to agree there indeed, when the deadline is gone and away the results should be outside of your control.. including commenting on questions (didnt yet think of it that way.)

Ander's pretty much presented any point I would have made (thank you sir) as I am a fan of the anonymous entries myself. Mostly though I say that if you have something in particular that you want to point out, bring attention to or simply state, there is ample space to do that in the description box that is allowed for the miniature.

More than one of you have put in a description that has been a title that really just tied it together for me, or pointed out something that I might have missed otherwise and I think it shouldn't be overlooked as often as it is if there is something special you want to get across to folks.

You can already do that with your entries into the gallery. If you participate in the contest though, get everything you want to say out and done in the description box because once its submitted, that's it, you won't be editing anything, much less publically commenting as the owner of the piece, without disqualifying yourself.

Sorry folks - its pretty simple and I've been up front about it from the first contest and its not going to change any time soon.

I have to agree with FF & Ritual. I know at Games Day competitions you don't get the opportunity to describe the artistic intent of the model, nor the opportunity generally to stand around and answer questions of judges or attendees. The entry is submitted and gone until judging time. It's harsh, but beneficial to an impartial judging process. Any technique questions can always be submitted after the comp. in another thread for anonymous contests.