Just out of curiosoty: what does "Malifaux" stand for?

Hinton

On some of the Wyrd shirts (including the one that I have) it says "The Art of Malifaux". I figured that it was a reference to the person who drew the concept art. Now, on the forums, we "Malifaux Matters"; the section that pertains to the upcoming Wyrd skirmish game. So I was just wondering what it meant and why was that name choosen?

I do know that "mal" means bad and "faux" means false (or fake), but I'm not sure how that would pertain to anything (unless it's meant as an inside joke of some kind).

Just curious, is all.

Malfaux is actually just a "cool mispelling" of the words Mal Foe.

you see, the game will involve all of the wyrd characters fighting against captain Mal Renolds of Firefly and Serenity fame.

Well, if Jayne is backing Mal up, then the Wyrd characters don't stand a chance.

• 2 months later...

Malifaux.

True, mal is bad, but it can mean more than bad as in "I got a bad grade" It is more than that it can be seen in such words as malignant and malign. Faux, false is the obvious thought, but scythe works too, and deceptive in a pinch through inference. However the one thing that jumped out at me is the words resemblence to malefactor which means some one who perpetrates evil deeds (read: bad guy).

In the context its given "The art of Malifaux" I would take it as one of a few things.

A: "bad scythe" Scythes, bad, killing, How can you go wrong?

B: Some form of magic or thus with the line "The Art Of"

C: The way the people view them selves and each other in this universe, a moral (immoral) code of conduct and how the treat each other, sort of like a philosophy.

Oh yea hi. I have known about wyrd for a while now and was more than minorly intrested when they announced a forthcoming skirmish game. Always liked the models, but with warmachine, hordes, AT-43 and a little infinity, putting budget aside for models that won't see table time has been hard, The witchings did it, those little killer ninja midgets pushed me over... So now here I am...