Base Size

Larkin Vain

I say because Rasputina is a mad cool ice chick she gets infinite attacks, simply because she's a CHICK, and chicks rule. Her familiar is an extension.

OK, so thats not the case. I think that the familiar should be on a separate base, and almost a separate entity that gives her line of sight for spells and such. Both being magical entities, they would not get more than 1 physical attack since thats not their gig. Perhaps if the familiar is on the base it could give a boost to spell power or some such bonus.

Well it as more of an idea with pretty vague examples.

But ofcouse both would have to be equally balanced then the player could decide on the base size they wanted.

So seperately they could have be better at physical fighting, but together better with magic.

Then you are creating a choice for the player, which they can use depending on thier style of play. Kind of like GW's army list, where different things can have different items etc..

But then ofcourse you could use one size of base and have different options for fighting styles.

Well it as more of an idea with pretty vague examples.

But ofcouse both would have to be equally balanced then the player could decide on the base size they wanted.

So seperately they could have be better at physical fighting, but together better with magic.

Then you are creating a choice for the player, which they can use depending on thier style of play. Kind of like GW's army list, where different things can have different items etc..

But then ofcourse you could use one size of base and have different options for fighting styles.

Right, I see. One player wants to summon and destroy with frozen icy death (and penguins, of course) and the bases go that way, or for similar points and different base set up dispenses the same icy death but with frozen implements of desctruction (and, again, penguins). Offer up options for each type of player, which will increase playability and tihngs. Groovy!

you can offer the familiars as an option, where the model can be played with out familiar, with familiar on base, or familiar one separate base. Each having their own advantages and disadvantages.

For example:

Hamelin's dog on his base allows him to have greater control over his kids, while on its own base, the dog can make its attacks, and help to herd the kids.

Or Rasputina, can have her familiar on her base to make her spells stornger, or she can have the familiar separate to have it help to target spells further away.

Gamewise it is the best things to keep all human-sized models on 30mm bases and big guys on bigger bases (50mm for most guys that have been designed or will be released).

I will write the chapter about base size this week, so it will be covered :) Other stuff I will work on:

*Implement the list of changes and suggestions Nathan supplied in the rules (which are 20 pages long at the moment...doesn't say a lot at this stage but you can see we have quite some material already).

*Continue with the first stats, abilities and spells for the two first factions that will be worked on. In addition I will think about implementing faction specific stuff and faction buffs and debuffs.

*Work on the rules for Soulstones

*Tease you guys even more ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey Y'All,

Well, I thought I'd put my two cents in on this one. My experience in gaming is almost exclusively as a "historical" gamer. Base sizes in most "historical " games is critical due to two factors: 1- each figure represents more than one "man";i.e, one mini might represent 10, 20, or more [or less] actual men; the rules will dicatate a specific ratio;e.g. Vietmeyer's Column, Line, & Square rules used a 1:20 ratio. 2- there is a determined ground scale;e.g., 1" = 10 yards or some such nonsense. Ergo, the size of the base reflects the area that 20 actual men would occupy in a certain formation, usually a line.

Since skirmish style games seem to be of a 1:1 ratio, the area occupied by the mini supplies its own ground scale, so the size of the base becomes rather irrelevant. To my admittedly feeble old mind it would seem a lot easier to mere state the number of opponents that could be squeezed in on a particular sized creature; for example; 4 human size opponents, or two lage opponents could combine against a single human size creature [this is actually a bit more than could fit, but gamers Do try for every ounce of advantage]. The base is really just there to keep the mini erect & provide a means of handling the piece without damaging the lovingly applied paint job, & should be more a matter of taste or lack therof.

Being the fine group of folks you all seem to be, I'm sure there are no rules lawyers to be found anyway.

The Familiar Question: if you have a little critter based with his/her larger friend & said critter can move off on its own, you might use a marker, coin or somesuch thingy to mark its position [more than one marker, one of which is the actual position marker, could be used, if it could sneak about or remain concealed]. When detached the mini could sport a ring, rubber band, etc. to denote its absence from its owner/buddy/employer.

• 4 months later...
Cause I know that Larkin has been waiting on Rasputina in particular. She and her little critter are going to be on 30mm bases.

Ramos and his critters, 30mm bases.

Still out on Hamelin.

Longtime lurker, finally posting. :ciao:

So, Ramos & each Steampunk Spider thing are going to be on the 30MM bases now? I just want to clarify since the store still lists them with 50 & 40's.

Thanks in advance!

:theyareon

aka showing his ignorance? :D

Base sizes. Most Masters will be on either 30mm or 40mm and generally will be your option, which means you can base Ramos and Rasputina on either one based on your modeling desires. While the difference in size will have MINOR logistical differences in game terms, they aren't enough to make any meaningful difference in game play.

Spiders are spider swarms, not individual spiders, and should be mounted on 40mm or 50mm bases.

Hope that helps, happy to answer any other questions!

sorry, sorry, familiars.

Yes, they will be able to move independently of their master in some instances, so you have 2 options. Base it separately, while attached to the master it will need to be kept touching the masters base, but can then move. Alternatively, build it into the base of the master and have a placeholder for the familiar. This later instance will be required for some masters who have attached familiars (like Nicodem), unless you make a seperate Vulture mini from the graveyard sprue :)

As for Hamlin, he is like Nicodem, with an attached familiar, although you can of course model him unattached.

In all cases, individual familiars should be on 30mm bases. Masters can still be on 30mm or 40mm regardless of if their familiar is modeled onto their base with them

sorry, sorry, familiars.

Yes, they will be able to move independently of their master in some instances, so you have 2 options. Base it separately, while attached to the master it will need to be kept touching the masters base, but can then move. Alternatively, build it into the base of the master and have a placeholder for the familiar. This later instance will be required for some masters who have attached familiars (like Nicodem), unless you make a seperate Vulture mini from the graveyard sprue :)

hmmm I sense a nifty little basing article ..the cogs are turning......