The Game

EricJ

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will still be chance involved! Just no rolling...and hopefully some of the chance will be replaced with strategy...that's the hope at least!

We are still accepting applications, in fact I just sent them out this weekend to all inquiring. But once we have a good number of those back in, and the playtesting teams working, we'll shut down further apps...so in short, time is running out!

Playtesters who have applied! We have applications coming in now and we will give them several more days to make sure we get everyone interested before reviewing them. Only after that time will we let you know who will be involved in the testing, so please be patient, the process just takes a little time to get going.

I appreciate all the interest!

Cards do sound neat but then again it really doesn't go beyond anything that dice can't solve.

Essentially cards offer 2 results (color/number) with one draw, so technically a d4 and d12-d20 accomplish exactly the same thing.

Unless off course you employ a custom deck.

Off course there is the "coolness" factor ;) and cards do it!

• 2 weeks later...

Meh, dice are just too boring and stale; everyone tosses them around aimless grumbling about crappy dice, must buy new dice, gotta have yellow dice etc etc.

Cards sounds like a refreshing change it hasn't been done to death and also cards have the ability to slip a few little nuances into the draw that a single dice roll just can't do.

Now a custom deck or even custom decks per faction sounds totally yummerlicious to me but what do I know I'm just an old git that rembers flicking pennies at a wall for a game (and sadly thought it was cool at the time LOL):weirdo:

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this in the introductions forum along with the rest of my other message, but I figured this portion of it would be better suited here:

"A few questions about Malifaux - how casual will it be? Do you imagine it will be a very fast paced game that you can squeeze in every now and again, or will it be much more involved - something that requires a decent amount of setup and lengthy amount of playtime per game? What about a campaign? I've never really got a chance to fully get into any other tabletop war games, but I've always read that they had campaigns that could be played through. This seems like the sort of thing that would interest me. Something that sort of had an ongoing storyline/progression of scenarios that build up to a final showdown without the REALLY in-depth rules and gameplay of a traditional RPG. Dogs of War comes to mind for me (since I came from Rackham), but I'm sure all sorts of companies do this sort of thing.

Also, I just recently came in and have read lots of stuff saying that playtesting was/is going on for the game. How is all that working out so far? Did it just start recently?"

Here's another game related question you may (or may not) be able to shed a little light on. We know that the new skirmish deals are set up to give players a ready to play group. Will the game use pre-built groups or will there be a point value for figures, allowing players to customize or switch around the characters in their skirmish group?

sorry for the slow reply, was busy with my nose stuck in the rules and haven't been in the forum as much as I should lately!

Anyway, skirmish groups are set up to fit together particularly well thematically, and there will likely be advantages to playing them that way...however it will likely not be mandatory to use them that way. Also, while we don't use "points" there is a system in place to customize your warband model by model. So as long as you're in the same faction, you likely will be able to use it in your warband :D

I posted this in the introductions forum along with the rest of my other message, but I figured this portion of it would be better suited here:

"A few questions about Malifaux - how casual will it be? Do you imagine it will be a very fast paced game that you can squeeze in every now and again, or will it be much more involved - something that requires a decent amount of setup and lengthy amount of playtime per game? What about a campaign? I've never really got a chance to fully get into any other tabletop war games, but I've always read that they had campaigns that could be played through. This seems like the sort of thing that would interest me. Something that sort of had an ongoing storyline/progression of scenarios that build up to a final showdown without the REALLY in-depth rules and gameplay of a traditional RPG. Dogs of War comes to mind for me (since I came from Rackham), but I'm sure all sorts of companies do this sort of thing.

Also, I just recently came in and have read lots of stuff saying that playtesting was/is going on for the game. How is all that working out so far? Did it just start recently?"

We are still working through the specifics of game play, but it looks like we're working on both the option for small or large games, and while a campaign idea is on the back burner, there are mechanisms in place in the rules for us to expand upon the idea in the future.

As for playtesting, we're just getting started on it, and it's a slow start, but it should be heating up over the next couple months. But overall very optimistic!