Tell The World Not To End

Hinton

This is another short story I wrote for a competition and placed second. Hope you like it.

Tell The World Not To End

Major Donald Williams stood in front of the general’s desk, standing at attention, small beads of sweat on his forehead.

“Sir, I’m afraid I have very bad news,” he said. “I only became aware of it an hour ago.”

General Floyd Johnson kept his eyes on the paperwork in front of him, the pen in his left hand moving across the pages, signing this, initializing that. He waved his free hand in a “get on with it” motion.

“Sir, I believe that the world is about to end.”

General Johnson gave a small shake of his head and kept on signing the documents. As head of the Anti-Covert Military Corps, he heard a new end-of-the-world speech at least once a month. The ACMC was there to protect the people and tell them the truth about impending disasters, but the general had grown tired of everyone coming to him with a supposed covert operation. If it wasn’t killer asteroids from space, then it was a super-virus or some nut job with a new weapon capable of killing millions. In the fourteen years he had served in the ACMC, he could think of only six times that the rumors had proven true.

“How so?” the general finally asked when the major didn’t continue.

“The Water of Armageddon, sir.”

General Johnson flipped his pen onto his desk, leaned back in his chair, and sighed heavily. “Major…?”

“Williams, sir; from Tactical and Strategic Command.”

“Williams; right. Anyway, Major Williams, I have little time or patience for people coming in here and telling another end of the world story. Do you think that I don’t have enough to do? I not only have to worry about our forces on the moon and the whole colonization project up there, but I have to keep the Director of Earth informed of every little detail of everyone’s activities so that we don’t get accused of covert operations ourselves and get shut down.

“So please, if you would, tell me why this is so important that I should divert one iota of my time and attention away from anything else.”

Major Williams cleared his throat. “Sir, as I said, I sincerely believe that the world may end within the next seventy-two hours if we do not respond quickly.”

“I understand that, Major. What I fail to realize is why you are not getting to the point. What is going to kill all of us?”

“Sir, a satellite is falling out of orbit and should impact the Earth in three days. It carries with it a bio-toxin called Water of Armageddon, which, if it lands, could theoretically kill every living thing on this planet.”

General Johnson was unmoved. He just pursed his lips and noticed that one of the pins on Major what’s-his-name’s lapel was uneven. “You know,” he said, partly to the major, partly to himself, “my grandfather used to tell me stories about the turn of the millennium; how people were sure that some computer virus was going to crash the whole damn system and send the human race back to the dark ages. Or how many thought that God was coming back and going to send us all packing to an eternal hell.

“As we can see, none of what the doomsayers said ever happened. The world went on, mankind has prospered, and we don’t keep secrets anymore. So, again, tell me why you think that this Armageddon Water is going to bring all life on this rock to an end.”

“Sir, two weeks ago we spotted a satellite falling out of its orbit. As per regulations, we attempted to identify the origin and rightful owner of it, only to find that it had no signal marker. By using a telescope, we did manage to locate a number on the side of it. I had a team of researchers go through every database we have to locate what that number meant. They found out an hour ago, General.

“It seems that a group of scientists in the late 1990’s were working on a super-virus, since the threat of biological warfare hung over the heads of the world leaders at that time. In the process, they created this Water of Armageddon. Preliminary tests showed that half a liquid ounce could kill every living thing within a hundred feet. After an accident killed most of the research team, they placed all of the liquid into two drums and sent it up with this satellite.”

“And how much of this ‘water’ is there?”

“Approximately one hundred gallons, sir. More than enough to eradicate all life on Earth, especially if it enters the water system.”

“Shoot it down, Major.” The tone of General Johnson’s voice was the same that one would use on small children.

“We can’t, sir. This is a very old satellite and our weapons would tear through it like it was paper, causing it to explode. The Water could enter the atmosphere and start raining down.”

General Johnson thought for a moment, his eyes narrowed. “Send up a high-flyer to retrieve it. That should get it down without damaging it.”

“With all due respect, sir, we already thought of that. At this time, it is too high, even for one of our best high-altitude fighters. If we wait until it reaches a point that we can grab it, then it may burn up on re-entry.”

“Then the Water should burn up in the atmosphere as well.”

“It may, sir; but it may not. It would be a great risk.”

General Johnson put a hand on his chin and looked down at his desk. “Well then, we had better come up with something.”

“I do have one idea, sir.” The general’s eyes came up as Major Williams leaned against the desk. It was bad protocol, but General Johnson could ignore it for the moment. “We could send up a high-altitude fighter,” the major continued. “However, instead of bringing the satellite back, the fighter could carry it out into space. With enough velocity, they should be able to get the satellite out far enough that one of our space crews could retrieve it without damaging it.”

“We’ll lose the high-flyer and the pilots, Major.”

“I am aware of that, sir, but it’s the only option that we could come up with in such a short time. I wish we could think of something else, but time is a luxury we don’t have.”

“And you’re sure that using the high-flyer is the only way to go?”

“I am positive, General.”

General Johnson nodded once, grabbed his Tranq gun from the top of a pile of papers, and shot a dart into the major’s chest. The paralyzing drug moved through his system so rapidly that shock never had a chance to register on his face as he collapsed. The General winced slightly when the major’s head bounced off the concrete floor and then settled back. He didn’t want to hurt the poor man; not yet, anyway.

He put the gun back on top of the papers, then walked around to the front of the desk, leaned back against it, and folded his arms. “Did you really expect me to believe that scientists from the last century created such a destructive force and we’ve never heard about it? Hmm? All the secret projects were revealed a long time ago, Major. No more subterfuge, no more lying to the good people of our nation and our world. We protect the citizens of Earth from people like you now; people who want power all for themselves. And while I am sure that a satellite is falling out of its orbit, I seriously doubt that all life on this planet will end.” He leaned over slightly, examining the major’s face for any sign of penitence, but the major just lay on the floor, his eyes moving back and forth in frustration.

General Johnson shrugged and continued. “Did you really think that I would allow you to send up a fighter, losing two good men in the process, just so you could hide whatever secret it is that you have? Do I look that incredibly stupid, MAJOR?” The general took a deep, calming breath, then let it out slowly.

“I am placing you under arrest, Major, and charging you with attempted subterfuge.” He reached around behind him and pushed a button on his desk. Moments later, two armed guards entered the office and looked at the general, who indicated the man on the floor with a nod of his head. “I’m not sure what you’re up to, Major, but a full board of inquiry should be able to find that out.”

General Johnson watched indifferently as the guards hauled the major away. He looked at his office, wondering why he didn’t ask for a bigger one; or at least, one that was a color other than gray. He thought about taking a vacation, but he realized that it would never happen.

“Maybe I should retire,” he said to empty room, then shook his head. There were far too many things going on to be taking off now. Besides which, he didn’t trust anybody else to do the job as well as he could. It took integrity, discipline, honesty, and vigilance. One had to remain vigilant at all times in this job, or you would fall prey to people like the major.

He walked back around the desk, sat down, picked up his pen, and continued his work.

Two days later, a satellite entered the Earth’s atmosphere, exploding on re-entry, and providing a spectacular fire trail to those that were watching at the moment.

Then the rain started.