Final Fanasy Advent Children ... I'm lost

If I recall correctly a thread had already been made a while back on this movie and at the time everybody said it was great ... well I've seen it recently and am completely lost.

I mean, the story has no heads or tails despite the introduction, the voices are dull as possible (and I watched it in english), the characters could be more developed.

OK it's graphically perfect, but I prefered the first FF movie.

So what did I miss?

And yes I expect Michelle to crucify me for such heretical blasphem :P.

have you played the game final fantasy 7 ? perhaps that could be the problem.

the characters are more developed than most movies, but then again they are developed troughout the game, the scenes involving rufus, the turks, cloud all rely on things you *know allready* to make sense, including all concepts of sephiroth, "mother"(jenova.), aerith (I think mentioned in the movie as *her* and not by name, the flower girl in the red dress.)

I think the only characters who have some form of development in the movie itself are the children to a degree, tifa (again to a degree.) and the 3 brothers.

I think they should have added it to the movie *requires knowledge of FF7 to understand.* :)

That's OK, Cedric, I won't crucify you just yet. It IS kinda a movie more for the FFVII fanatics anyway, who are already familiar with the characters by having played the game). I also was disappointed with the English voice cast (esp Sephiroth's voice!) and poor dubbing in some areas, I prefer to watch it in the original Japanese with the subtitles.

It may help to go into the Extras and watch the "Reminiscience of Final Fantasy VII" since it's basically a collection of various scenes form the game that tries to explain the story a little. But it was a confusing storyline that involved a lot of self-deception and wondering what was truth and what was false, while trying to stop somebody from destroying the world. Oh, and the bad guy had a bunch of clones running around too, just to make it more interesting.

Here's the Wikipedia entry, and scrolling down to the Story section might help explain things if you're curious. But Advent Children was mostly for the fans and made to wrap up some loose ends and give the fans the chance to see thier favorite characters done in modern CGI.

Personally, I just with the scenes with Sephiroth were a bit longer and less frenetic. (He's dreamy!.....) ;) :laugh:

:D

I had the same feeling as Green stuff really. Granted I never played the game either so I would naturally be missing quite a bit. Visually the movie looked good though. Can't say i totally agree with Duende about the dreamy Sephiroth part though. I love the concept and I sure like hair long on guys... but I found him a bit femmy looking, well more then a bit. But that is something that i find more in Manga. Not that I have any problems with it... just sliding on the dreamy part due to it ;)

I also was disappointed with the English voice cast (esp Sephiroth's voice!) and poor dubbing in some areas, I prefer to watch it in the original Japanese with the subtitles.

I also have no idea what you're talking about and have never played any version of FF. Still, I have found that often with foreign language films it's better to watch them with subtitles, distracting as they may be, because the original actors own voices are so much more expressive and coincide with their facial movements - even anime.

Oh, and Cindy, Sephiroth is a villain, right? Sexual ambiguity and androgeny is often a symbolization of evil in Chinese and Japanese film. I think it was Swordsman II where the villain actually changes gender a couple times in the movie.

I'll add my voice to what's already been said, you need to be a FF7 player to understand ( then again you shouldn't have any excuse for not having played ff7 in the first place ;) ).

As for the voice, when it comes to Manga, appart from few exceptions ( Alucard's english voice comes to mind) you need to use the japanese voices to be on the safe side. And the bonus is, you end up knowing some japanese words :D