How Long to Paint a Miniature

Thryth

Hi All,

After working on my entry for IP3/R2, I was wondering just how slow of a painter I really am.

If anyone would like to share, how long does it take you to paint a ~32mm single miniature of contest quality?

I haven't been keeping track, but I would estimate that it took me somewhere around a total of 20 hours for my entry (I should be posting it sometime soon now).

- Thanks

Personally, this answer varies with me from mini to mini depending on how motivated I am and how well the paint job is going!

Of course, if we ask Jubilee, I bet we would get a very suprising answer, she churns out stunners at a scary pace! It seems her stuff is in the gallery the day after themes announced, now thats iron!

Personally, this answer varies with me from mini to mini depending on how motivated I am and how well the paint job is going! Of course, if we ask Jubilee, I bet we would get a very suprising answer, she churns out stunners at a scary pace! It seems her stuff is in the gallery the day after themes announced, now thats iron!

@orkydave: Hmmm. Who am I competing with this round? Oh! Jubilee! Uh-Oh!

@Hinton: I don't usually get many hours together to paint, so I have been averaging about one miniature/month.

I can't really tell how long, sometimes it seems like forever. I just get on painting "kicks" where I work on several minis at once, then for no reason I can figure out, for awhile I just don't feel like painting anything. Like the last "kick" I was on is when I did my 4 entries for the Femme Fatale, only one was already partially painted when I started but the rest were started from bare metal.

I don't know why I'm like this but I suppose that since I'm female, I can attribute it to being hormonal ;) (just like any other inexplicable problem).

:D

Hey guys -

I have to admit I only spent about 5-6 hours actually painting my IP3 round 2 entry on a friday afternoon and saturday morning. However, I felt very inspired with her and the model is pretty simple, as was my color scheme. Prep + photographing/editing probably brings it up to 8 hours total (she was very challenging to photograph!!).

But I've had figures that take me days and days - like when I painted the Parkinson #3 box last fall, I think those each took a week and a half or more each, although admittedly I probably only put in 4 or 5 hours a day working on them, some days less..

Most of the time I don't feel like an exceptionally fast painter, the last two IP entries have been something of a fluke - themes that really inspired me with models I already wanted to paint near to hand..

/ali

The first angel for the IP took me 60 hours base included

The second entry took 14 hours for the base and 10 hours for the dragon

200mm Fire took me 280 hours

I find when painting I go forward and then backward and some feel like forever.

I am very slow and particular and paint under a mag light that hides nothing. I have no reason most the time to rush and no one to make me. I do not paint for profit and very rare do I take a commission. I did not like them when I did take them. Took the fun out of painting for me.

The Ip not only helped me start painting again but is helping increase my speed so is art class we have 1 minute gesture drawings that has me learning to be less picky, I find being too picky is counter productive and I am glad to get rid of some of that habit.

Hi guys. I think I agree with the general consensus. If I'm 'in the mood' a figure (even a large one) can take 6 - 10 hours. But if it's not going right that can drag to well over 30 hours. I know very few of you have seen my work yet, but I intend to start entering more competitions - 25 years practice is plenty of time, & no I'm not really much better for it :D

For me a lot comes down to how many unique colour areas are on the figure, as well as the usual stuff like freehand and NMM adding on to time. I'm finally getting a little faster. For a simple sculpt with clean lines I'm getting down to 10-12 hours or so of painting, up to 25-30 for something complex, larger or with a lot of lengthy techniques. That's just painting, I'm much worse about tracking prep time.

I generally only paint for 3-4 hours at a time. When I'm on deadline I'll do a couple sessions a day, but if I do that too much I get neck and shoulder problems and then can't paint at all for a while. The fastest I ever painted was 4 hours for a vampire mouse familiar, 6 hours or so for a little snotling, then two days for Hasslefree's Beach Libby. The mage I painted for the magic effect category of the last IP was also painted in a pretty concentrated amount of time. Those minis and the experience of watching them come to life in a relatively short period of time all stand out in my mind as pretty enjoyable. Maybe some day I'll get fast enough to have that experience more often!

Hi guys. I think I agree with the general consensus. If I'm 'in the mood' a figure (even a large one) can take 6 - 10 hours. But if it's not going right that can drag to well over 30 hours. I know very few of you have seen my work yet, but I intend to start entering more competitions - 25 years practice is plenty of time, & no I'm not really much better for it :D

Dont put yourself down mate, Ive seen some of your stuff from the ebay group and its not bad! I think youll fit in well here, its a grand place to get tips and help if needed. Also the news monkeys are always on top of their game and come out with all sorts of new releases.

Glad to see youve joined.

• 3 months later...

Yeah, same as everyone. Its a matter of the miniature, whether its a group, things like that. I probably spend more in prep time than painting. I finish some smaller ones in an afternoon, and can usually finish a high quality one in 12 to 15 hours total time. 20 hours is about right if I add free hand and things like that. None of the entries I've had for the Demons or won with took less than 30, but they were all groups.

I end up taking forever, I stop and start and go back to it and bin it etc!

Example, the harlequin for TT took me about a month to do but that was only about 20 hours painting time. Its just getting down to do it thats the problem. Im getting better though.

My painting time these days seems to get more and more in tune with when Nath introduces more games to that bloomin arcade. Thats a serious time sucker that bad boy.