DrEvilmonki

DrEvilmonki

Hidy Ho campers!

My name is Barry. I am from New Zealand. Aged 34 (35 next month). Married with two boys (2 year old and 7 month old).

I started role playing when I was about 12 (stormbringer based on Elric of melnibone). When I was 18 I got involved with a local gaming club and had my first introduction to miniature battles with 40k and fantasy battle (actually had a painted undead army back then).

One of the guys at our club was a very talented artist who also painted figures and we got to be friends (lost contact with him after a falling out - life goes like that sometimes.)

It ended up I enjoyed painting more than playing. I sort of drifted out of the hobby for a number of years until last year when I was going through a very stressful time I decided to pick up a brush again.

Then I ran into CMON and now I spend way to much time there.

Recently FF was on CMON talking about the something weird comp. and I was silly enough to say it sounded cool but I couldn't get the minis in time. SUPERvike came to my rescue and sent me a couple of items (which I am enjoying painting greatly!)

I now have more WYRD stuff on the way and look forward to crushing all comers in the IRON painter comp as wel!

Yeah it was GW - thats what I had packed away.

I've bought some of the new GW stuff. I thought I was going to collect a space marine army until I figured I just wasn't that interested in the gaming side at all.

I now have some Rackham, some privateer press and of course the WYRD stuff.

I'm just interested in the painting side of things now. I've really only come to that reality recently and now I really want to push myself on each mini, try something new.

I'm also looking at using different mediums. Currently using GW paints plus a brand called Golden and incorporating crayon and pastels as well. I want to try oils (might use the water mixable ones by W&N)

I'm also looking at using different mediums. Currently using GW paints plus a brand called Golden and incorporating crayon and pastels as well. I want to try oils (might use the water mixable ones by W&N)

I've seen the historicals guys do some amazing things with oils, but I'm havng a hard time picturing how to get crayons and pastels to work on miniatures. you got any examples around? I'd be really interested n seeeing.

Welcome Barry!!

This site is definately becoming very global.

I love the fact that you are not shy at all about the smack talk....

Why, if I may ask do you use "Dr. Evilmonki" as your name?

My name is a derivative of a name I came up with in my "stoner" days. A friend once said I look like a red eyed monkey. I said, yeah a red eyed reefa monkey.

So back in those days my online name was reefamonki.

Of course that name conveys a certain image about me which isn't actually true anymore (I didn't start smoking weed until I was 25 and stopped when I was 27) so I needed a new internet name and I liked the simian theme. Evilmonki was taken so I had to become a Dr.

After reading that I am sure it would have been more interesting to have just said BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!:)

And what smack talk? I just think I'm better than everyone else!:laugh:

I've seen the historicals guys do some amazing things with oils, but I'm havng a hard time picturing how to get crayons and pastels to work on miniatures. you got any examples around? I'd be really interested n seeeing.

I have only used the pastel to represent rust effects so far. On this base

goldendemonbase1.jpg

and this test piece I did up quick (going to paint the whole squad basically like this but take my time over it)

dirz-front.jpg

I can't show you anything with the crayon since the only figure I have used it on so far is my entry for the Something WYRD comp. But it probably isn't as strange as it sounds as it is a water soluble crayon.

• 2 months later...