Suggestions for upgrades/enhancements/changes to Wyrd ..

Alrighty then!

What can I do here at Wyrd to make the site more useable to you, more interesting, more whatever? What works, what doesn't? What do you love or hate?

This can be anything from features on the site, something you would like to see possibly implimented (if its possible), graphics and looks of the site .. whatever.

We're going to be doing some site upgrades to Wyrd here in the future, mostly it will deal with an upgrade of the software that runs the site and will add a lot of extra options for me as an administrator, but will also allow for other fun stuff.

Want rankings on the site? Ratings of posts? A calander that shows all the events? Spellchecker (I could use that one) .. whatever.

Just cause you ask for it, doesn't mean it'll happen. But I think it would be a good idea to get an idea of just what works and doesn't around here, and what we can do to make Wyrd a better place for everyone to visit.

Oh, and we'll be upgrading the webstore something serious, which I'm REALLY looking forward to. Much more professional looking as well as useful.

Slide up, let your comments come, and we'll see what we can do about it.

Oh, and thank Cedric in advance, the poor man doesn't know what he's gotten himself into.

Under things that drive me a little batty I'd list the fact that if you click on a sub forum such as oh say, Miniature Matters, go read the messages there and then from the message go straight back to the main forums page it will still list Miniature Matters as having new posts. As it is I currently have to click back to the sub forum and then back to the main forum page to get it to mark as read. THe "new posts" listing under my icon on the home page has similar issues but I have to actively click the entirety of the forums as "mark as read" to get that one to update so I tend not to bother.

@Skya

With the new upgrade, hopefully that will go away as the system will use AJAX which will update things 'live'. Atleast that's the idea, whether or not it will be as accurate as I hope, we'll see.

Also, just on the off chance folks do see this (for some reason, folks go straight to the forums at times instead of the front page), in the LINKS button up top there, you can click on 'NEW POSTS' and it'll just bring up a list of all the new posts. Might be helpful on the off chance it hasn't been found or noticed.

@Ritual

Heh, he's clueless but he'll hate me later.

Ok this is a pet peeve of mine, and it just bugs me to no end.

On the little scrolling sponsor bar on the front page when it gets to the end it instantly restarts and goes back to the begining. So if you want to click on the last banner or two you only have like a second to catch the button before is disappears. And if you miss it you have to wait throught he whole scroll again and hope you catch it.

It isn't that big a deal, it just bugs me a bit when I'm cheken out the sponsors sites. If you could put a delay or some place holder buttons at the end it would be nice.

I like things in general.

I don't think the CHAT feature gets used that often, maybe that could be cut.

I'm opposed to rankings too, that seems to go against the grain of what I think the best part of this site is, a site to show off and share your minis. Rankings often add pressure and ugliness.

Browser compatability, something that has bothered me for a bit, but seems to be a hit or miss with some individuals. Mosch uses Firefox as well and hasn't had some of the problems folks were having in the gallery a bit back, so I'm not sure if its the browser, or another program that links it all together and makes issue. Either way, hopefully the upgrades will take care of this.

When I said rankings, I didn't mean it like ranking painted figures. Never want to become a CMON and the whole rankings thing, while neat and great for CMON, wouldn't work here. No, what I mean was like 'post rankings'. XXX posts you are a Wyrd Fauker. XXXXX Wyrd Sociopath (and if I mispelled that, tough :D). I can integrate it easily enough, but never really saw the whole thing with it, though folks seem to enjoy it as well at times. Just one of those odd 'something I can do but whatever' type things.

Scrolling Sponsor Bar. Okay, I'll look into that, though with the upgrade, that's going to be interesting, the code 'may' have to be written from scratch for that one, but I'm looking into it right now.

Would an events calander be useful? Setup, in advance, all the contests and big events coming up, etc which can be viewed easily?

Chatroom - yeah, doesn't get used in the least, likely get dumped.

There's a chat room? :doh:

I like things here in general. I would like to see a stickied WIP thread. That would be a nice way to get advice on current works. Certainly many of the accomplished painters here wouldn't need it, but those of us still developing our style would enjoy suggestions and critiques (or at least I would, hehe). A calendar would be a great idea as well.

I would like to see more art work, always interested in concept art, now if there was someway from having people's ideas ripped off.

Now that's an idea Nathan...maybe a contest of concept artwork.

Starting with our next releases, you'll get your wish on this one, as we post artwork along side the greens and studio works. Our concept artist is a fantastic fellow named Steph who has a nice twisted mind that seems to flow more or less on the same wavelength and the concepts and minis that you'll be seeing here soon will reflect that nicely I think.

Contest on concept artwork - not a bad idea. I'll file that away for the future. Might end up doing a 'design-a-mini' contest here in the future, but one step at a time.