What would you like to see from the Wyrd Miniatures line?

Now that the first line of Wyrd Miniatures have been released and folks are starting to get their hands on them, I'm opening the floor to suggestions for the future line(s).

We've been doing a lot of brainstorming behind the scenes, contacting artists, having concepts drawn up, working out casting deals and talking to various members of the industry and to be honest, with the initial reactions that the first miniatures have received it has us rather excited about the prospects to come.

At the moment we have our initial line which I'm rather excited about and I'm trying to mix a bit of modern with fantasy gothic and having a go at them, you'll see more of these types of miniatures in the very near future, especially with our next two releases which is looking to be early January at this point. With Edgar's help, we're putting a new twist to some old concepts and myths as well which I'm rather eager to see come to life.

On the drawing board at the moment as well is a Wyrd Fantasy line where we hope to bring a very dark brooding fantasy to life and the particulars of that are being worked over right now, though at the moment, that is several months away at the very least.

So, right now I'm curious as to what type of miniatures you would like to see in the future. We've already got a good amount of stuff planned out, but I'm interested in seeing if any of it that is being worked on coincides with wants and desires and to be truthful, maybe something said here will spark an idea and find its way into miniature down the road.

For some reason, I've had 'dragons' on the brain for some time now and I keep playing with an idea that I've got in the noodle about a rather large Wyrd Dragon (evil looking bastard he is too) but that is one of those miniatures that you have to take a very large leap of faith with so it might be some time before I gather up the gumption to do something like what I have in mind.

Go ahead and fire away with suggestions and thoughts.

Hostages

Medieval/Fantasy Hostages. Minis I can use as marker or RPG Figure. It's not that interesting -visually- to save that "poor dwarf who was subdued by the evil forces"....and showing a dwarf in full rioting gear hacking with a helleberd at his Hirstart prisondoor. Right?

So might it be possible to get some captives. Male/Female doesn't matter (or make both of them as a set). It might be interesting to get captives from other races too. Then we could also argue about the signs of captivity. Someone unarmed? Bound? Enthralled (means walking like a somnanbulist). Sitting, kneeling, walking around, make your pick :)

Then... Viktoria's Friends. Playing in the same league.

Hmm .... SciFi/Modern Common People. Technicians, Drivers, Scientists. Bartender, Bargirls/men. (Now thinking about Klute's Narg&Gayle piece): Modern day slaves (Nothing too explicit, mind you)... I'm thinking here of lads an'lasses in more or less state of artfully arranged undressing. Think Werner's Chaos Priestess here, the way the Woman's body is framed by straps.

Hmm, that is all I can think off at this moment.

Minis wich can be used on dioramas

Hmm. I have always liked when different genres overlapped a bit. Shadowrun or the Riftworld series pop to mind. Orc/ogre corporate security types with automatic weapons and sunglasses. Elves jacking into the 'net. This is a bit more out there, but what about taking the standard "fantasy" archetypes and changing the ethnicity a bit? An elf with in a hanbok (traditional Korean clothing) and a katana, a dwarf in middle eastern garb (turban and a scimitar), or an african halfling?

I've thought about the dead bodies before, or I should say, I've seen posts about them for the better part of a year or so here and there and think it is something to consider. Might just have to put this one on the burner to simmer down the line, bears thought though.

Dark and Brooding, well, that's generally where I like my miniatures at anyhow, so that's a pretty good chance that things will continue in that line, though there will be some whimsical ones here and there that my wife and I are interested in seeing done. Baby Kade was one of those, though my wife didn't understand that I was going to put such a dark bent on it when I gave him over to Ander's care for painting (she loves him btw ... the baby that is, not Anders, might have to get out the hammer if it was otherwise ....)

Elric of Melnibone, you know, I can't for the life of me remember what he is supposed to look like. Long hair, lean, elf, sword ... that's about all I can think of. Hell, he might not even be an elf. Haven't read the books. I've seen some comments here and there about how this particular miniature looks like Elric, etc, so I'll go take a look. Curious what the big whoohaaa is over.

'Normal' people I don't see much happening to be truthful as I like a bit of dynamic and something different.

Miniatures that can be used in diorama's - already well ahead of you on that one. Funny enough, my wife came up with the concept of one that I'm considering sometime next year, though I think it would have to be a limited edition. Lets just say my wife is a tad more twisted than I in some of her ideas at time. More on this down the road.

More like Viktoria - well, that's already in the works. Viktoria is the start of a Femme Fatale kill team and she's going to be joined by atleast two, if not more, companions in the near future. Different weapons, different looks, same type of attitude. Rather excited about seeing how my girls come out. I'm sure some males of the same type of calibre will make their way into the line as well - we'll keep them out of thongs though (shiver).

Neat suggestion Jabberwocky - we're doing that in a 'sense' as we're merging fantasy with gothic modern to a point, and if I can ever get time to sit down and write out some proper stories/background, it would make a damn bit more of sense of what I'm working at here. I'll see about making that a priority. As for the elves and dwarves, interesting idea, I'll put that on the long list and give it some thought.

As for the question about a UK supplier, if any of you are interested in the line being supplied overseas, feel free to contact your hobby supplier and make inquiries. I don't personally contact anyone about carrying the line as frankly, I don't feel the need and I don't want to put anyone in the spotlight, or for that matter, get a 'no thanks'. There are several retailers that have picked up the line, the only overseas one at the moment is Battlefield Berlin which should have their package early next week though there are others that have made inquiries - we'll see where that goes.

I suspect many suppliers/retailers are waiting to see if Wyrd Miniatures is a one off thing, or if we plan on expanding the line, how the castings look and generally get some feedback on the miniatures overall. If you are interested in seeing the line expand or someone pick up the line for retail, spread the word!

Elric is a tall slender albino with long thin hair and red eyes. He carries a sword that is possessed with a lust for blood (long time since I read the books so I don't really remember how that worked...). He is a generally depressed and brooding character but still has an air of power and strength. He's somewhat of a favourite fantasy character for me.

I like the idea of the kill team! :D One or two male members (or hang-arounds) wouldn't be so bad either...

Also, I'd like to see some muscular scantily clad barbarian type of guy... I know this has been done to death but I have a soft spot for minis like that and maybe you could turn that archetypical fantasy character into something a bit different? It would be a good opportunity to take advantage of Edgar's skill with human anatomy.

Just steer clear of cliches. There's far too many 'standard' concepts out there that everyone and their dog seems to do.

I'm personally a fan of 'survival horror' and I reckon that every Wyrd sculpt fits into that so far.

But you need some guns. Power tools are good too. But definitely guns. I almost hacked Vikky's swords off and gave her a pair of 9's....

More like Viktoria - well, that's already in the works. Viktoria is the start of a Femme Fatale kill team and she's going to be joined by atleast two, if not more, companions in the near future. Different weapons, different looks, same type of attitude. Rather excited about seeing how my girls come out. I'm sure some males of the same type of calibre will make their way into the line as well - we'll keep them out of thongs though (shiver).

ooh, will one of them tell a joke at the end of every episode? (sorry just had to be snipey). :bootyshak

As for scotts idea about guns, I'll take it a step further. I think it would be awesome that once you have a set of the girl, making a seperate product which is just a sprue with guns made for them. A couple of hand guns for Vicky, and different guns sculpted for the different members for the option to switch in.

I'm sure some males of the same type of calibre will make their way into the line as well - we'll keep them out of thongs though (shiver).

Must... try... not.... to ...make... cheeky.... comment.....just..... to... easy....

I don't mind guys with thongs kept OUT of those thongs :reddy: buff guys in the buff ;)

(laughing) Go ahead and do some converting on Viktoria Scott and see what you come up with - interested in seeing a conversion.

As for weapons - huh - capital idea. I'll put that one on the shortlist and see what sort of ideas come to mind for future.

As for cliche's - well just about everything these days have been thrown in those types but I hope to keep things interesting enough that we ford some new waters and have some fun while we're at it. The survival-horror does fit the Wyrd line, not so much as a Resident Evil setup, but take a goodly dose of that and it works out nicely.

On the dragon though, I agree. I've been giving this one some thought for a few weeks now and I want to do something downright mean and nasty when it comes to a dragon. Something that you would look at and go 'ok, no problems man, how many virgins was that that you wanted again?'

:D

We'll see though - the list gets longer and longer, but time, money and effort are only 'so' much at this moment.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Vikky can f*** off now.

Just sliced a flap of skin an inch long and finger width wide almost straight off the top of the middle finger of my left hand.... :doh:

OOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

Good job my missus is a nurse. What an idiot.

Still, at least it's my left hand. And Vikky is finished. Although her hands came off when she leapt out of my hand and flew across the room. Bugger.

Ouch.

What I would like to see is a steady release of high quality figures. What I mean by steady is say 2 figures every 2 months. Not a lot but enough to keep the interest up.

Quick turnaround shit Im not interested in though I think you already know that and I already know you feel the same.

Keep Edgar sweet too.

Big dragon and a frikkin nasty one too. I would buy that. You could count on Scotts fingerless hand how many dragons are out there that I like. Pussies the lot of them. I think its the humanoid look they put in to them with the standing on hind legs and such. Take Garrity's new one. Very nice sculpt but the way it is stood it reminds me of one of the old wrestlers from the 70's.

I like the gothic look you have to the first releases and always like to see what twisted ideas crop from other peoples minds. Maybe just to know Im not alone.

Well since you like the dark, brooding, neo-horror feel, I would love to see things like vampires biting the neck of some poor scmuck, and the different stages of that scene, like the vamp embracing her longingly before the bite, nothing too racey mind you. Victims of said monsters, not quite dead yet or deadish. There seems to be a lot of the zombie hunter thing going around right now, you may want to steer clear of that.

I will also agree with the adding of guns to Vickky and or her friends, I was thinking of adding a gun in her right hand and leave the sword in the left.

Personally the Idea of a big muscle bound barbarian is a little played out, unless you give him guns, BIG FREAKIN' GUNS. :AR15firin

I like the idea of minis that make a scene, IE: my vamp reference, 2 fighters dueling it out...

And just for giggles a :wt: mini.

I really like that version of Viktoria Mr. Munkie! Sorry about your finger!

I like cute funny stuff or really dark stuff. Resident Evil type miniatures would be just great with me and I would like to see Wyrd Miniatures do some dynamic pieces, too much stuff is straightlined with a finger pointing one way and a weapon pointing the other.

Alrighty, this is an idea I've had for some months now, and it's definitely in the "different" category. Unfortunately, it's gameplay value is dubious at best..these would definitely be entirely in the realm of painter/collector.

Women in Pilates positions. I am absolutely a huge fan. Check these out:

Pilates Woman

...argh...and of course, I can't find any of the more interesting ones right now. But talk about an excercise in muscle tone, hmm.

What would you like to see from the Wyrd Miniatures line?

Boobies! biggrin.gif

I'm surprised no one here suggested that already (aside from the Nazis I think....)

Seriously though, you know I'm totally on board with the whole dragon thing. I have pretty much hated all of the previous dragons released except for two. Both of those are based on Den Beuavais artwork and were previously available through Iron Wind, The Antagonists and Bridge of Sorrows.

Of course, I'm currently deeply entrenched in the whole Steam-powered genre and would love to see a more expansive line of those types of characters for RPGs. Something that would be similar to what Reaper is doing with their DHL characters but more heavily Victorian in design. Think Bram Stoker's Dracula-like costumes and it would be spot on.

I like Dragons and have a hell of an idea for one that I'm thinking of having drawn up and worked on, but it would be an expensive bastard just for the sculpting, much less the casting, so I think I might shelve the idea until Wyrd Miniatures is doing a bit better and I can afford to do something along those lines. Besides, one of the things that sort of curtailed my enthusasim for casting a dragon was seeing the McFarlane Dragons which you can get releatively cheap and are damn nice.

Hrmmm, not sure how we managed it, but I can give you both of those requests here in January (speculating on or around January 15th for release). One is a female in a heck of a situation and the other somehow manages to combine that Victorian look along with Steampunk. Damndest thing.

:D

No pictures till we're ready - though I have a certain painter who is about to vibrate out of his chair and have a stroke if he doesn't get to show off his fantastic paintjob of it.