EricJ - US Games Day Project

EricJ

ok, so far it seems this technique only gets applied to less "pretty" flesh, zombie-type, nurgle, undead, gollum, etc...

No, that's only because Allan and David are posessed by Nurgle :der: . I could easily see the transparent skin applied to elves. Tolkien elves are supposed to have ultra-thin skin that almost imits light.

Looks like your GD is going to be interesting, Prophet is a very worthy opponent ;).

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I do think you could use the transparent layer skin technique on basically any mini, but on a normal, living human being the effects will be EXTREMLY subtle and maybe not worth the trouble. On nurglish/dead/zombiefied/possessed or generally evil minis you can use the tecnique to a much further extent. I used that method on my Wandyr the Bloodthirsty that won the fantasy category of the last Wyrd competition. On pictures, his skin looks just dark and unhealthy, but in real life it has a complex depth of colours that I don't think could be achieved by any normal blending technique. I wish I could show you what I mean...

We need to put together a "buy Anders a way better Macro-lense Fund" :)

I do know what you mean, and I have played with this as well, most notable would be the Cyborg warrior girl I did for sacred blade. Her legs around the implants almost have vericose viens that sort of got turned into a blueish brusing effect instead in photo. It would actually be really interesting to see if a true top of the line photo equipment/set up could capture this.

I still think however it does have limited applications, and won't really apply to most minis out there, therefor not the next big thing ;)

It is still a cool thing!

thinking about it, do you think something along these lines would be possible for an Arwen LOTR figure? Might make it stand out from the 50 other arwen entries?

would be an interesting challenge to use this on a mini to make her more beautiful rather than more sickly looking

yes! in fact I've been worked the last couple days on the start of my penitent engine, which I hope to have completely converted/resculpted legs, arms, driver...and probably most of the rest of it too. Once I started lookign closer at the model once I had it in hand, I was just really unhappy with it. I am hoping to make the legs more dynamic, the arms actually make sense, the driver stand out a lot more, and the body not look quite so much like a cardboard box with a exaust pipe. I am fearing my plans may be bigger than my ability, but I expect the attempt will be a good learning experience!

• 3 weeks later...

I was sort of thinking of a mix of high tech, and baroque actually, lol, sort of on a steampunk type base...

What I mean is the machine itself looks fairly high techy, but covered in artwork and symbolism (not to the point where I get myself kicked out of GD for too much freehand, lol). But put into a dirty high tech type setting, if that makes sense...although this is open to change.

And I have started now...I have one foot done and the base of the base done (the floor, no real excitment added yet)

well I promised a work in progress of the penitent engine, and although I didn't get as far as I hoped this weekend, I did get some things done, I'm really actually very happy with how she's coming along. Unfortunately parts of the girl are a bit hard to see in the photo, the polished metal from where I carved down the original sculpt are hard to photo!

Nothing is final on her, so if you see something, any and all sugestions are welcomed

:)

Engine-SIP-2.jpg

I hope I can make it something unique. Looking at the original penitent engine sculpt, what I didn't like was so much detail was given up for castability. All the gaps were filled, etc...

So the goal is to make a machine which is much..."crisper" without obscured details, hopefully most seen with the driver. I want a driver with really a 3d feel to her, rather than just something like a relief sunken into the front of the thing. You can't really see it here, but my girl has a arched back, and I want to make her almost looking tortured in the machine. Once I add the 10 or so wires and tubes connecting I hope that will enhance that some :)

I need to do something with the feet, I don't like that booted look... I don't think I can sculpt bare feet, so the other alternative is to have feet sunken into the machine...

Thanks for the WIP Eric :).

First of all, you did a great job on the base, it's such a pain to get GS that regular.

Concerning the P.E.'s leg, it looks good, waiting for the rest ;).

For the girl, the torture theme is definitively the way to go. You might want to chop her legs and connect them to the P.E. like Kara's arms. Do you think she'll be getting hair?

Thanks for the comments Cedric.

As for the base, yes, it took quite a while, and banging my head on the wall to get it regular. I still haven't decided quite what I'm going to do with it to give it a little more interest. That is something on the "currently unknown" list

The Leg was a bit of a pain, I think I am going to use the regular PE's bar across to connect the 2 legs (I like the hanging cloth and scull on it), then the second leg will be back and stepping on something, I think a large pipe...or something else that I can look a little crushed under the weight of the thing. Once the darn legs are done, then I can figure out how to do the main body. Which I'm completely lost about. Also I intend to add a number of bits of interest over the leg once the thing is all put together, to give the piece flare...although what that'll look like is also on the curently unknown list.

ummm, who is Kara? and clarify how you mean to connect them to the thing?

And as for hair, she has a TON of it already :) its just pulled back from her head so you can't see it there, but that's what is streaming to the side from her waist

Well, I do actually have a reason for it, although it's hard to see in this photo. One of my goal with the base was to have the figure interact more with it, I wanted to add a feeling of weight to the machine with how it connected to the base. The front foot you can see, I reset all the toes to sort of be grabbing the edge of the thing, and also once I have it painted to bring it out, I think it will be more obvious that it is actually denting the ground in that corner. It was much easier to do this with greenstuff...

Also while I might complain, getting it so smooth like that was actually relatively easy. I basically coated the entire thing with a relatively even layer of greenstuff, and then basically soaked it in water, and pressed a smooth piece of plasticard down hard onto it until the surface was completely smooth, then once that set just trimmed the edges clean.

I am thinking about making a press for diamond cut flooring and adding those bumps to the whole thing...And there should be a lot more added to the base before it's done as well...I hope