Does the paint job make the miniature?

Celtic Lilly

I was in the hobby store the other day and I was looking at Wizkids metal miniatures and I have to say, there are a couple that are actually pretty nice. Sculpted well, clean and look like they would be interesting to paint.

Then I turn over the back of the package and they show their 'studio' paint job and I just about dropped it as there was this globbed painted thing that was crosseyed with pupils that went up to its eyebrows.

What on EARTH is a company like Wizkids, who I think has plenty of money, doing with very substandard paint jobs to market their product? If they got someone like EricJ, Klute or Ritual to paint their stuff (not that they would, just saying if they got someone with some skills) I think their stuff would sell a LOT better.

So I made a promise to myself. I bought this miniature and now I'm going to paint it. I'm going to post the studio paint job and then my paint job and see if anyone agrees with me that they miniatures CAN be nice, but with what they are marketing them with, they just seem bad.

Anyone else up for the challenge?

again, Nathan might wup me if I did this before a contest entry, but I'm looking forward to seeing your test run!!

But I do think that paint jobs do a lot for a miniature range, particularly when just getting started. Rackham used world class painting to rocket theselves from nothing to being basically the #2 out there. Dark age is doing very well also, I believe due in part to their painters. I think once you're established it does ultimately come down to quality of sculpts, but until people know your name, and mini range, you need something to catch their attention. Thats just what the paint jobs do :)

And tell wiz kids to send me a pile of $$, I'll paint their things :)

Whoooo ... well as Wizkids is a sponsor I've got a direct line to someone if ya'll want to try something and see about submitting it to Wizkids and see what their thoughts are. No promises but they might be interested in what you have to say on the subject.

And yes Eric, I'll sic Maya and Ann on you in full force if you don't get a damn contest entry in this time!

Now, that being said, Wizkids has sent me a VERY large box of miniatures (I think there are eighty or so miniatures in there) of their new line of Mageknight Metals and I have to say that there are actually some fairly good miniatures in there and I was myself surprised at some of the paint jobs that they marketed with the miniatures.

Matter of fact, I think I'll join in on this myself. Not going to snag anything out of the goodies box here mind you, but I will go out and pick up a miniature or two and have some fun with it. Anyone have suggestions on which ones?

--

As for studio paint jobs, I agree with Eric completely on this one.

I think ultimately it is going to be the sculpting ability of the individual that creates the miniature and the direction and design that the company takes it that will determine whether or not a miniature will be 'good' or not, but the old saying 'the cover sells the book' is very true in this case.

Besides, how many of you go and look for studio paint jobs, or troll the internet looking for other paintings of the same miniature in order to get ideas (or ego boosts)? I do it for practically every miniature I lay a brush on.

I actually set myself the challenge before I read this. I bought two blisters (one goes off for the mini exchange) and the paintjobs on the back are aqful. I mean, I paint pretty bad, but these were even worse. I have a Demimage (I *think* that's what he's clled) and some kind of guard with the strangest I have ever seen and the sculpts are totally acceptable - only the paintjob on the back of the blister...

I decided I would paint the guard and I'd do it better than the blister shows.

How about we all do our minis and then post them in one thread so we have a nice collection? I'll do my contest entries first though ;)

I think that sounds like a damn good idea, and more to the point, I've got a lot of these Wizkid miniatures to give away for the contest, which really some of them are rather nice. Hell, I would buy about half of the ones that are in that box right now as I honestly do like some of the elf like women they have in there and a few of the others, like the Dwarf Beserker .. etc.

How about after the contest, when packages have gone out and there are an abundance of Wizkid miniatures in hands from the contest (and ya'll be sure to thank them damnit!) we all see about doing the paint jobs on the Wizkids miniatures and everyone post the picture of their miniature along with the picture of the studio paint job and see if it makes a difference.

Sound like a plan?

I just did a quick search for Mageknight Metal in Google and came up with this.

http://www.connectstores.com/ralpartha/sp_31675.html

Now I know for a fact that I have many of these miniatures to give out as prizes from Wizkids (thank you!) and although the packaging paint jobs leave something to desire, the miniatures themselves really aren't that bad and I think some of them can be down right good if given a bit of time and paint.

I personally can't find the studio paint job pictures but believe me, they are nothing special (I'm being nice), but the miniatures really aren't that bad. For instance, here are some that are painted up at the painting clinic.

http://www.paintingclinic.com/ward/ralpartha/mageknight.htm

Anyhow, we'll call this the 'Wizkids Challenge' and I'll see if I can work up something with Wizkids and we'll come up with some rules/guidelines/timelines right after the Rotten Harvest contest. Sound like a plan?

I think that the paintjob does make a miniature, I've come across a few manufacturers over the years that advertised their produce with low quality paintwork and passed them over only to see the same minis painted up and looking fantastic in books and magazines.

The same I think can be said about GW minis they do some great stuff nad have some great painters and yet some of the paintwork that makes it into their advertising realy pulls the mini down.

I'd be up for a crack at painting a Wizzkids mini just for fun.

I just did a quick search for Mageknight Metal in Google and came up with this.

http://www.connectstores.com/ralpartha/sp_31675.html

Now I know for a fact that I have many of these miniatures to give out as prizes from Wizkids (thank you!) and although the packaging paint jobs leave something to desire, the miniatures themselves really aren't that bad and I think some of them can be down right good if given a bit of time and paint.

I personally can't find the studio paint job pictures but believe me, they are nothing special (I'm being nice), but the miniatures really aren't that bad. For instance, here are some that are painted up at the painting clinic.

http://www.paintingclinic.com/ward/ralpartha/mageknight.htm

Anyhow, we'll call this the 'Wizkids Challenge' and I'll see if I can work up something with Wizkids and we'll come up with some rules/guidelines/timelines right after the Rotten Harvest contest. Sound like a plan?

Sounds good to me. You've got me wanting to try my hand at paint jobs on some WizKids stuff.

Maya~

yeah, we'll show those wizkids guys!

...by painting their minis wonderfully and giving them free possitive advertising...

I'm sure it'll really sting ;)

actually it does sound fun, and I sort of like being able to one up the studio paint jobs...one of the reasons I have yet to paint a Rackham, I'm intimidated!

And you, tidoco, intimidate me. Now we have reached the end of the food chain and I am just going to weep in the corner :puppy_dog

By the way, I checked: I have an Altem Guardsman (who for some reason is called "Utem Guardsman on this page) and a Demi Magus. The Altem Guardsman has a pretty freaky sword while the magus has a hairstyle that matches the sword :D I'd be happy to enter the Wizkids Challenge, no matter the outcome or what Wizkids says to that.

Whoooo ... well as Wizkids is a sponsor I've got a direct line to someone if ya'll want to try something and see about submitting it to Wizkids and see what their thoughts are. No promises but they might be interested in what you have to say on the subject.

Now, that being said, Wizkids has sent me a VERY large box of miniatures (I think there are eighty or so miniatures in there) of their new line of Mageknight Metals and I have to say that there are actually some fairly good miniatures in there and I was myself surprised at some of the paint jobs that they marketed with the miniatures..

Unfortunately hate to be the bearer of bad news but those WizKids minis are at least 5 years old. They did that line right around the first few releases of the MageKnight collectible game IIRC.

My guess, based on the industry at the time, is they did this line because they either owned (or were contracting with) FASA to get the rights for Battletech and Crimson Skies. FASA also happened to own Ral Partha then, and it makes sense they'd stipualte some sort of deal with a mini line for Partha to produce.

Hence 'Mageknight Metals', cast and distributed by RP, with sculpting from some of the better sculptors on their "Crucible" line. They resculpted *a lot* of the crappy initial MK sculpts before releasing the line.

Unfortunately the line never got any real support from WizKids. It never tied into the collectible game directly - no rules or ability to swap the metal ones onto their plastic counterparts' bases easily (apart from conversion...) As a result it kind of petered out (like the earlier Magic the Gathering line from Heartbreaker.)

A strange little footnote in the annals of mini-painting... The line was eventually disco'd, except for RP Europe apparently, but can still be found at some hobby shops (my local one has a bin full of the 50% off hard cases no one will buy.)

There were some really nice minis in the line though, and it's well worth hunting down those.

In terms of the paint jobs on the blisters, they were (I believe) actually shots of the collectible minis from the MK game. Hence crappy paint jobs on crappy plastics by Chinese wage-slaves (or political prisoners...) That's why sometimes the mini itself doesn't match the picture - it was one of the resculpts, but they didn't bother painting it up and shooting new pics.

Take care,

Laszlo

And there is the man that knows!

I was wondering why some of these didn't match the box that they came in. Damn odd. Ah well - still a good thought none-the-less CL as a bit of fun. Wizkids Challenge.

I am curious why Wizkids told me it was their 'new' line, but looking through here, I see you are right Laszlo. Wonder if they are obligated to continue, or find that they still actually sell somewhat and thus produce them.

Or have a warehouse stacked to the ceilings ...

:D

I am curious why Wizkids told me it was their 'new' line, but looking through here, I see you are right Laszlo. Wonder if they are obligated to continue, or find that they still actually sell somewhat and thus produce them.

Or have a warehouse stacked to the ceilings ...

:D

Probably a little of both... There are really nice minis in the line, so there must still be call for them, or RP Europe, etc. wouldn't still sell them.

Take care,

Laszlo