the best paints

mcsneed17

I think dropper bottles are much better than the paint pots GW uses, but there's nothing wrong with the actual paint. I haven't tried Reaper paints either, but as far as I heard the master series is really good.

I use lots of greys and browns when I paint so Vallejo Model Colors are perfect for me.

I personally prefer the Reaper Master Series Paints (NOT their propaints!!). I've used Vallejos and found that the Reaper is sooo much easier for me to work with and seems to take to extreme thinning better. If you do go with Vallejo or another brand, pick up some of their metallics, that stuff is *extremely* fine with the metallic flake grind and mixes well with other paint brands.

Maya~

I have GW, Vallejo and a few Reaper Masters and use them all pretty equally, but find that I like the dropper bottles a lot more than the pots which tend to either stick on me or dry out because I didn't screw the top on just right (though I like the new pop top on the GW stuff).

That said, I have a problem with some of my Vallejo's where the writing on the labels seem to disapear rather easily so I find myself wondering what the hell color I've got (after I shake the heck out of it) and I've had two (out of 30) that have the dropper tops come off every time I open the things, which is mildly annoying and somewhat messy if I'm not paying attention.

MY GW and Vallejo stuff I thin pretty well, and although I haven't used it too much yet, the Reaper Masters seem to need very little thinning and have a higher pigment ratio which seems to go on rather nice.

the reason i asked the question is that i have all three paints but i just looked at my games workshop paints and found that most if not all of have dried -up with the execptions such as their inks and certain colors everything else has dried up but there is one company which i forgot about which has not dried up and that is the old warzone paints which are still good.

It depends on the painter, really, I have GW and Vallejo Model, along with some Apple Barrel and Ceramcoat as well. A good painted can get decent if not amazing results with different brands.

Just as an Example, the Slayer Sword winning Terminator Squad from Baltimore Games Day this year was painted by Scott Bowser. According to Scott all the FANTASTIC NMM [gold and silver] was painted exclusively with Apple Barrel and Ceramcoat, two of the traditionally most sneered-at brands of model paint.

I'm pretty much a GW paint guy, although I admit I hate the paint pots...so I always dump the paint into other containers for use, seemed like an easy enough solution to use the paint I like without the containers I hate! :)

I use the old Ral Partha paint/Ironwind Metal paint pots. They're softer plastic which seals really nice, never sticks and you can still paint out of the caps...like I do... although I never will admit to it

...and you can still paint out of the caps...like I do... although I never will admit to it

Hahaha! That's why I've started using Coat D'Arms again! I like Vallejo paint, but call me bone-bleeding-idle, it's a pain in the arse always unscrewing, droppering, rescrewing.

With Coaties I just shake and POP! Paint straight from the lid. OH YEAH! Like the vinyly consistency too.

yep, I CANT STAND droppers, I'm a cap man until my last day!

I think it's because I never clean my palate (or as some people call it, my Warhammer fantasy movement tray caked in paint), and it's about a 9-11mm thick now in places, if I used a dropper all that unused paint I think would make this scheme unmanageable.

I used to use those Delta Ceramcoat craft paints that you can buy at Wal-Mart, and never realized how much they sucked until I finally got some Vallejo MC's. Now I don't know how I ever managed with those other paints. Grumb also gave me a bottle of ? Reaper Masters ?, I'm not sure, it didn't have a label and the bottle is near identical to Vallejo's. It's a nice shade of red, though. Red's my fav color! Thanks, Grumb!

:tea:

Those old screw-off caps GW used to sell, I think were just a clever marketing ploy on GW's part. Sure, the paint would dry out faster, then you have to go buy more!

EVIL! :evil:

I mainly use Vallejo game colour - I just can't for the life of me take two equal portions of paint from two paint pots. Also, when I started painting, GW sold the screw tops. Nuff said.

I would like to try some Reaper paints, but they are near impossible to get here in Germany.

If you want Mosch, I can pick some up for you (or order from Wyvern Games LLC - very nice people) and see about getting you an order of paints of there at the actual cost of S/H and all that. None of that added BS in charges.

If you want Mosch, I can pick some up for you (or order from Wyvern Games LLC - very nice people) and see about getting you an order of paints of there at the actual cost of S/H and all that. None of that added BS in charges.

Yepyep. If you, or anyone on these boards for that matter, want Reapers or anything in the Wyvern store I'll be happy to give you a quote with exact shipping (or let you know if shippings free for your order amount). Just pokey me here or through Wyvern Email. We're 20% off retail for Reaper and have discounts on most of our other items too.

Maya~