Lemme know what you think ..

Nathan Caroland

Hey folks!

I like to write, if you haven't noticed, though that doesn't automatically mean that I know what I am doing or am any good for that matter.

That being said, I'm curious what you think of the two bits that I've posted here so far. The first, from the Professor is more of a teaser for stuff to come, something to add a bit of background in a general way so that I can write for an 'alternative reality' type world which you begin to see in 'Maggie Sinclair'.

I have found that I like the whole modern day magic sort of thing the last few years and have been wanting to write in that fashion for some time and found this as an outlet. I'm curious if anyone, other than myself, likes this type of writing and your thoughts on it.

Something else I have been thinking on doing is something along the lines of one of those old 'Choose Your Own Adventure' type books that I'm sure many of us read when we were kids. I'll start off a story, build up the background and when it comes to making decisions for the character, making a poll and letting it go for a week and and at the end of the week, whichever 'choice' got the most votes would be the direction that I would take the story.

Thoughts?

Oh, and while I'm at it - belly up and post some of your on stuff if you have the interest. The more the merry in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey folks!

Something else I have been thinking on doing is something along the lines of one of those old 'Choose Your Own Adventure' type books that I'm sure many of us read when we were kids. I'll start off a story, build up the background and when it comes to making decisions for the character, making a poll and letting it go for a week and and at the end of the week, whichever 'choice' got the most votes would be the direction that I would take the story.

Thoughts?

How about something like the infamous "Just add 3 Words" thread from CMON, only not so pointless? More like each person adds a paragraph, but what you add MUST contribute to the plotline, and not be just pointless or lewd drivel. I don't know how many people here would be interested, but it's just an idea...

:idea:

I like the idea. A bit of fun with a pinch of direction (as you said, nothing completely pointless) in order to tell out a story.

Anyone else interested in this? Maybe get a group of individuals and have to post in order and given a certain amount of time to do it so that there can be some controlled direction. Thoughts?

Cool. It sounds a bit like the online RPG-ing I do... That's writing after one and other (usually more than one paragraph though and in this case everyone does have their own characters, but we develop the story together like a ever growing interactive fantasy novel). I GM-ed a few of these... as far as you can speak of a gm. Basically i jusyt had the most characters and I kept the red line in the story and giving directions... though everyone was allowed to bring in whatever, whenever they want.

A postingorder has proven invalluable in the past. But people do need to be commited to prevent the story freezing up due to someone not posting.

In this case I think a postingorder but no personal characters (so everyone can write for all the characters present) will work best. I think A postthread with people able to sign into that would be a good start... then make a list to establish the order... and have the first one write the introduction.

Also it's nice to keep in mind to have openings in the post you do for the next one. The next writer would like to have something to work with. Not saying we need full blown cliffhangers everytime... but some things to work on would be pleasant.

My 2 cents

I like the idea. The whole story writing bit I have the time for at the moment and if there is interest, we'll go from there. I'll make up a thread for it here in the next day or so (looking at clock - sheesh, gotta work here in a bit).

For the online game - I have done many of these since .... oh way back in 1990 when BBS's were the rage. I'll come up with something here in the near future. It is time consuming, but a lot of fun. I'll post examples of the work that I used to do.

In the mean time, here is an old webpage with an example of the gaming and DM'ing I used to do. In the journal section, you'll find the story of the game as it was written, by the DM (myself) and the character interacting. Sometimes it doesn't flow as well when you read it (different styles) but it is a load of fun none-the-less.

http://webpages.charter.net/frustrated/