Tara Questions

Wagenbach

Hello everybody,

I'm new to the forums, and sort of new to Malifaux. After picking up and playing some games with both Daw1 and Parker1, I bought a pile of Obliteration stuff, and suddenly found myself staring at what I can only describe as a puzzle I don't have a solution to. Can anybody point me at some good guides for Tara in GG3? Also, is Tara functional at lower soulstones? I have a chance to play in a 35SS event soon, and I am considering trying to make her work in that event, but I have this strong feeling that she's potentially on a short list of Masters that just fall apart below 50SS. Any help would be appreciated.

14 hours ago, Wagenbach said:

Hello everybody,

I'm new to the forums, and sort of new to Malifaux. After picking up and playing some games with both Daw1 and Parker1, I bought a pile of Obliteration stuff, and suddenly found myself staring at what I can only describe as a puzzle I don't have a solution to. Can anybody point me at some good guides for Tara in GG3? Also, is Tara functional at lower soulstones? I have a chance to play in a 35SS event soon, and I am considering trying to make her work in that event, but I have this strong feeling that she's potentially on a short list of Masters that just fall apart below 50SS. Any help would be appreciated.

As a summoner I would think Tara would actually be quite good at lower soulstones. Each model you summon is a much bigger swing, proportionally speaking.

I don't know about a good GG3 guide. I think Rage Quit Wire did an episode on Tara a bit over a year ago but that was probably pre-GG3? It was definitely before the 33 nerf, which changed some things. But a good rule of thumb is that she has a lot of play on most of the strategies by just stalling out the opponent and going where the opponent isn't, and/or after they've activated their models, for strategies like Guard the Stash and Covert Operations. For Cursed Objects you may want to leave your summoned models buried until the turn after you summon so that they can unbury and immediately Interact to give their Curse Token to whatever enemy model they just popped out next to. Other than that her formidable ability play named model schemes (Catch and Release, Vendetta, Public Demonstration, Hidden Martyrs, etc.) because of her ability to just leave the key model buried and safe until you are able to score is a big part of what helps her win games.

8 hours ago, Azahul said:

As a summoner I would think Tara would actually be quite good at lower soulstones. Each model you summon is a much bigger swing, proportionally speaking.

It may depend if they're playing with the default rule that limits masters to two actions at that cost.

Then she goes from 5 actions to 3 which is quite a hit.

After playing a few more games, I've settled on this list for 35 SS:

Tara 35SS Crew (Outcasts)
Size: 35 - Pool: 6
Leader:
  Tara
Totem(s):
  Karina
Hires:
  Aionus
  Scion of the Void
    Servant of Dark Powers
  The Nothing Beast
    Servant of Dark Powers

It does feel really bad to have Tara only using 3 Actions per turn because of the <50SS rule regarding Leader actions. Since she can only summon once per turn, that leaves her 2 actions to move / scheme / fight, so making sure she's contributing while keeping her in position for Age to Destruction is way harder.  Also, should I be prioritizing using my pool spends to ensure I'm getting Glimpse The Void as often as possible on enemies?

I wouldn’t worry too much about age to destruction. 
And forcing glimpse with anyone except Tara is difficult and it’s a trigger that goes up in value as your opponents hand is diminished. 

I’d recommend trying to score your points first and then keep your opponents occupied with your summons.  If something gets buried, great, it’s off the table and a lot of your models and can now charge and attack the buried model if you have no other target and need the mobility. But I don’t think it should be your primary gameplan.