2023 Monthly painting challenge - June

Hawkoon

And suddenly we're in June 😱

May flew by so fast. I guess some of you have been busy with the competition.

If you haven't already I strongly suggest you take a look at all the amazing entries and join in in the voting!

Looking forwards to seeing who painted what😄

Well, back to the challenge... What will you be painting this month?

I've got a tournament coming up at the beginning of July, so I hope to get enough nephilim painted up to be able to run a fully painted functional crew. That means I've really got to up my game, as that is a big keyword😈

So, I'm looking to paint up some fauna this month. I've got the ciorrupted hounds, molemen, slate ridge maulers and gators all prepped and ready to recieve an undercoat and the Gupps and Spawn mother undercoated and sitting about. Not certain which order I'll tackle them in and doubt I'll do all of them this month.

What I have already done this month over the course of thursday and friday (while watching a bi-yearly charity speedrun event) is finally painted up the Malisaurus Rex. This big guy has been sitting on my painting pile for ages having had a lot of greenstuff work done to cover up the various gaps the model has. Pretty chuffed with how he has come out and his NMM manacle is vaguely relevant to the current wyrd painting contest (though nowhere near as grand in scale as lots of the awesome metalwork people have put in over there).

qvLNzRJ.jpgIXjF8c4.jpg

• Like 7

On 6/2/2023 at 10:41 PM, TimH said:

So, I'm looking to paint up some fauna this month. I've got the ciorrupted hounds, molemen, slate ridge maulers and gators all prepped and ready to recieve an undercoat and the Gupps and Spawn mother undercoated and sitting about. Not certain which order I'll tackle them in and doubt I'll do all of them this month.

What I have already done this month over the course of thursday and friday (while watching a bi-yearly charity speedrun event) is finally painted up the Malisaurus Rex. This big guy has been sitting on my painting pile for ages having had a lot of greenstuff work done to cover up the various gaps the model has. Pretty chuffed with how he has come out and his NMM manacle is vaguely relevant to the current wyrd painting contest (though nowhere near as grand in scale as lots of the awesome metalwork people have put in over there).

qvLNzRJ.jpgIXjF8c4.jpg

That's a really nice green hue! Very vibrant, and goes well together with the pink, turquoise and bone.

I just can't get over how big that model is... I got mine assembled and ready for paining, and it doesn't really "feel" like a huge model. But then looking at that 50mm base, it just looks so incredibly small...

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

@TimH - sweet colorful paintjob on the Dino. Everything is well executed and those tiny teal scales are a great addition.

@Hawkoon - very atmospheric, those pale color work so well!

@Gheist - I really like the colorful Jorogumo - painting such large models is quite a challenge and they turned out great!

@LinenMusician - hard to think now that this was one of the first ever Malifaux models released in plastic. Very nice paintjob here, well balanced colors and everything looks solid from technical standpoint.

As for my stuff this month - currently looking at 137 ss and more to come for sure :)

painters-challenge-june2023-0000.jpg
painters-challenge-june2023-000.jpg
painters-challenge-june2023-00.jpg
painters-challenge-june2023-01.jpg
painters-challenge-june2023-02.jpg

• Like 8

Here's the fellas for this month, just two relatively Hopeful Prospects. There's a chance that I'll get Tannenbaum started by the end of the month, but I can't imagine I'll get him done. Got pulled away on terrain building and painting for quite a bit, but should be back on track at least somewhat next month.

IMG_5712.jpg

• Like 6

Made it under the deadline after being out of town and far far away from my paints for 3ish weeks of May/June:

8stones of versatile ten thunders using my typical purple-yellow scheme.  The folds of her clothes work really nice with contrast paints and my biggest sadness is not totally liking her skin color...  Oh well, on to the next (and someday proper basing).

Also, yes, part of her belt ribbon (the bit with the flower/star/bow) fell off a while back (under very limited to no pressure), so I didn't bother to reattach before painting as I assume it will just break off again and no one who doesn't own this model will know anyway.

tWI8Kru.jpguPtpdBP.jpg

• Like 6

Tonight I realised that we were at the end of June and I hadn't finished enough models, so I did a quick and dirty job on Zipp to get him done as well as adding some details to the base of Bogg to get him finished too. Been in a bit of a painting funk this month- not had the attention span for it, but I have done a lot of assembling, terrain building and have got lots of games in so still a good hobby month all in all.

large.20230629_232307.jpg.9d099f97443c71ce5ab8b14f2aeaa9d5.jpglarge.20230629_232408.jpg.ee00726a88ab8f569f6ce7a4cb147027.jpglarge.20230629_232421.jpg.3d454ab741619bc23de2af837fe85bfa.jpglarge.20230629_232455.jpg.07626864090d8d9f7590e266cb7b1ea4.jpg

• Like 8

Caedrus, reporting in!

Well, in the month of June, I finally, finally managed to get some time to actually sit down and enjoy painting. Not gonna lie, I had been in a bit of a funk for a while with my painting.

So, I decided to have some fun, and mess around with the Lightning Bugs. Instead of a Slop Hauler, I added in a piggy, so my June total makes 22 Soulstones. Yay!

I went with some heavy-handed OSL on these guys, and, true to form, my photography skills continue to suck, but nonetheless, here they are! Critiques and feedback are, of course, always welcome, and I'm looking forward to the opportunity to actually get more involved in this great community again next month!

See you in the second half of the year, fellow painters!

Caedrus.

Bug 01.jpg

Bug 02.jpg

Bug 03.jpg

Boar 01.jpg

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Moinetbeard said:

Been in a bit of a painting funk this month- not had the attention span for it, but I have done a lot of assembling, terrain building and have got lots of games in so still a good hobby month all in all.

This was me as well. I have a full table (plus, a bit) of terrain now, with seven buildings and a river painted, and four more buildings in progress. Also got to play my first (albeit Henchman Hardcore) game other than a con demo! Very fun! Apparently my playing with them can be detrimental to your squad's future survival - the whole Arcanist starter box nerf announcement happened shortly after my game! ;)

Whew... okay flying in here at the last minute. Just signed a pledge, for very little, I kinda figure it doesn't really matter this late in the game and I'm still trying to figure out this whole soulstone/points system. But figure I have a few months to get into a groove and then I'll be all ready to rock 2024. 

I finally decided to try out some OSL techniques recently. Had some issues, yelled at the air brush a few times, might have tossed a mini across the desk in a fit of frustration, had to repaint a few things as they came out a sheet of flaming yellow instead of just looking like a light bathing of light had touched them... lol but it's all part of the learning process. 

Didn't get around to 'good' photos of these yet, but here took a few decent ones on my desk at least... like I said, gotta get into a flow :)

I managed to get these two done, though. And got another started that I will hopefully finish up for July. You all have some amazing things that you have done this past month!! Thanks for sharing all of your work too! 

Demonborn flame.jpg

Gypsy Side1.jpg

Gypsy Back.jpg

Gypsy Front.jpg

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Moinetbeard said:

Tonight I realised that we were at the end of June and I hadn't finished enough models, so I did a quick and dirty job on Zipp to get him done as well as adding some details to the base of Bogg to get him finished too. Been in a bit of a painting funk this month- not had the attention span for it, but I have done a lot of assembling, terrain building and have got lots of games in so still a good hobby month all in all.

large.20230629_232307.jpg.9d099f97443c71ce5ab8b14f2aeaa9d5.jpglarge.20230629_232408.jpg.ee00726a88ab8f569f6ce7a4cb147027.jpglarge.20230629_232421.jpg.3d454ab741619bc23de2af837fe85bfa.jpglarge.20230629_232455.jpg.07626864090d8d9f7590e266cb7b1ea4.jpg

Your 'quick and dirty' looks amazing if you ask me! :) 

On 6/30/2023 at 1:40 PM, Caedrus said:

Caedrus, reporting in!

Well, in the month of June, I finally, finally managed to get some time to actually sit down and enjoy painting. Not gonna lie, I had been in a bit of a funk for a while with my painting.

So, I decided to have some fun, and mess around with the Lightning Bugs. Instead of a Slop Hauler, I added in a piggy, so my June total makes 22 Soulstones. Yay!

I went with some heavy-handed OSL on these guys, and, true to form, my photography skills continue to suck, but nonetheless, here they are! Critiques and feedback are, of course, always welcome, and I'm looking forward to the opportunity to actually get more involved in this great community again next month!

See you in the second half of the year, fellow painters!

Caedrus.

Bug 01.jpg

Bug 02.jpg

Bug 03.jpg

Boar 01.jpg

You're not alone! I had a decent drive going at the start of the month, but then it just went out. Don't really know why, but I just didn't feel like painting for a while.

Love the colours and OSL on the bugs❤️

On 6/30/2023 at 5:58 PM, Merideth said:

Whew... okay flying in here at the last minute. Just signed a pledge, for very little, I kinda figure it doesn't really matter this late in the game and I'm still trying to figure out this whole soulstone/points system. But figure I have a few months to get into a groove and then I'll be all ready to rock 2024. 

I finally decided to try out some OSL techniques recently. Had some issues, yelled at the air brush a few times, might have tossed a mini across the desk in a fit of frustration, had to repaint a few things as they came out a sheet of flaming yellow instead of just looking like a light bathing of light had touched them... lol but it's all part of the learning process. 

Didn't get around to 'good' photos of these yet, but here took a few decent ones on my desk at least... like I said, gotta get into a flow :)

I managed to get these two done, though. And got another started that I will hopefully finish up for July. You all have some amazing things that you have done this past month!! Thanks for sharing all of your work too! 

Demonborn flame.jpg

Gypsy Side1.jpg

Gypsy Back.jpg

Gypsy Front.jpg

There really isn't that much to figure out. The purpose of this challenge is basicly just to get people to paint their stuff, and apparently people tend to do just that more often when there is a set of rules you have to follow.

Whether you've been with us for a while or completely new doesn't really matter. Get your painting game on, and show it off😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1