Please Wyrd give Malifaux a patch and fix season

zeno

I would love for Wyrd to do a season where they stopped releasing new models (gasp!), and instead focused on fixing existing models.
Make alternative models for the ones that are scaled poorly, such as Alphonse Leblanc, Young LaCroixs, one of the warpigs, and so on, I'm mostly familiar with the models of my own factions. I believe one of the samurais with gatling gun is also really off.
I'm aware of the time to design and having the product in you hands is long, so meanwhile during this season, give old models that never see the table a look ruleswise.
There are several models in the game that never see the table. There are even models that have been through an errata that will still need a rework or tweak, some might not get to see the the table due to a double whammy errata, Som'er comes to mind...

Pretty please?

• Agree 5

• 2 weeks later...

You’d imagine that having 70-80 keywords would be enough for a game, especially one that you’d hope retailers would stock.

I’d love to see a repacking, giving up all the boxes, and you just buy a keyword box with all the trimmings priced around 100 bucks, and then separate starter packs and versatiles.. You, or I at least, buy the whole shebang anyways, no point in the SKU-bloat. And then give up on the Hi-we’re-just-flipping-you-the-bird-because…co-packs. It just comes off as greed.

I’d love for them to re-do all the out-of-scale characters, and most of the M3E sculpts have been less interesting than their M2E counterpart - better made, but less interesting.

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, Regelridderen said:

You’d imagine that having 70-80 keywords would be enough for a game, especially one that you’d hope retailers would stock.

I’d love to see a repacking, giving up all the boxes, and you just buy a keyword box with all the trimmings priced around 100 bucks, and then separate starter packs and versatiles.. You, or I at least, buy the whole shebang anyways, no point in the SKU-bloat. And then give up on the Hi-we’re-just-flipping-you-the-bird-because…co-packs. It just comes off as greed.

I’d love for them to re-do all the out-of-scale characters, and most of the M3E sculpts have been less interesting than their M2E counterpart - better made, but less interesting.

I think the issue is their money comes from established players, so new content is what needs to be released for the players who own all the existing models that they want.

Which is made worse by how poor the new player experience is for the game.

But even if they fixed the new player experience, that's a long term investment and might take years to pay off.

So they may be stuck in this cycle.

• Agree 4

Things to change: the boxes with 2 masters v2 and an enforcer ....

In figurine resize there are so many ... I think of Ototo, King’s wall, Shadow emissary.

I would like Yasunori and TT Brothers to be corrected so that I can finally play them again....

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, korgal said:

Things to change: the boxes with 2 masters v2 and an enforcer ....

What would you suggest instead?

Boxes with just one Master and the Enforcer so those that have both Masters have to buy the Enforcer twice?

Individual packs for each model and triple the number of packs available for that release, probably increasing the per model price for the Master and Enforcer you might want?

The two Masters plus shared model(s) is probably the best of all the options for that release.

• Agree 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

51 minutes ago, theamazingmrg said:

What would you suggest instead?

Boxes with just one Master and the Enforcer so those that have both Masters have to buy the Enforcer twice?

Individual packs for each model and triple the number of packs available for that release, probably increasing the per model price for the Master and Enforcer you might want?

The two Masters plus shared model(s) is probably the best of all the options for that release.

They could do two masters + two copies of the enforcers now that we're stuck with this model.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

They could do two masters + two copies of the enforcers now that we're stuck with this model.

And all that would do is increase the cost of the box and some people would still end up with extra models they don't need.

Sure they might be able to split a box to sell it on, but as it stands everything in a box is usable by the person buying it, just not necessarily at the same time.  Adding duplicate models is more wasteful.

• Agree 1

I feel like the most feasible solution would be for them to offer the enforcers as a single purchase on their website and/or as special orders. 

I do agree that the current model comes off as greed. I completely love Malifaux like no other game out there, but I do feel like the current prices and bundles are starting to get offensive and I am starting to struggle to introduce this game to new players in good conscience. The Pandora/Colette title box costs 50 dollars for 3 human sized models.... 

• Agree 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 2

23 hours ago, esqulax said:

I feel like the most feasible solution would be for them to offer the enforcers as a single purchase on their website and/or as special orders. 

I do agree that the current model comes off as greed. I completely love Malifaux like no other game out there, but I do feel like the current prices and bundles are starting to get offensive and I am starting to struggle to introduce this game to new players in good conscience. The Pandora/Colette title box costs 50 dollars for 3 human sized models.... 

I really agree with this.
When I did mention that the prices for these models is silly steep on a certain Discord channel, some apologists had to throw the "Well at least its not as expensive as <insert another cetrain Game$ company here> models!"-argument out there.
Got curious and had to look it up. And they're actually wrong.
This should get some warning lights blinking for sure!

• Agree 1

On 6/6/2023 at 10:44 PM, Maniacal_cackle said:

I think the issue is their money comes from established players, so new content is what needs to be released for the players who own all the existing models that they want.

Which is made worse by how poor the new player experience is for the game.

But even if they fixed the new player experience, that's a long term investment and might take years to pay off.

So they may be stuck in this cycle.

Yeah, those "Starter boxes" doesn't help either 😕

I honestly think the price point is very appropriate and affordable. I'm not coming in as an apologist, and I'm not affiliated with the company in any way. Let's take, for example, Reva. If I decide I want to play the Revenant keyword, it would cost me $129 at the current prices to get every model in that keyword. That gives me way more models than I would ever need to play, adding some variety to the crews I can field. Let's further say that I want more variety than this gives me. In the same token, I could further buy every Resurrectionist versatile kit, five more boxes, for $200 at current prices. $329 gives me a ton of models that are fun to paint, and way more than I will ever need. 

Now let's take the example a little further. I decide I just don't like the Revenant keyword. The versatile models are still useful for any Resurrectionist crew I field. I could buy every box in the Redchapel keyword for $102.50, and still have access to all of the versatile models, as well as the mourners from the Reva purchase, to build the crew that I want.

I guarantee you that the other company mentioned in this thread will never have a price point that would allow you to field two complete, tournament-ready armies for less than $450. The last time that was possible was in 1986.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 6/15/2023 at 2:29 AM, TheOldGoth said:

I honestly think the price point is very appropriate and affordable. I'm not coming in as an apologist, and I'm not affiliated with the company in any way. Let's take, for example, Reva. If I decide I want to play the Revenant keyword, it would cost me $129 at the current prices to get every model in that keyword. That gives me way more models than I would ever need to play, adding some variety to the crews I can field. Let's further say that I want more variety than this gives me. In the same token, I could further buy every Resurrectionist versatile kit, five more boxes, for $200 at current prices. $329 gives me a ton of models that are fun to paint, and way more than I will ever need. 

Now let's take the example a little further. I decide I just don't like the Revenant keyword. The versatile models are still useful for any Resurrectionist crew I field. I could buy every box in the Redchapel keyword for $102.50, and still have access to all of the versatile models, as well as the mourners from the Reva purchase, to build the crew that I want.

I guarantee you that the other company mentioned in this thread will never have a price point that would allow you to field two complete, tournament-ready armies for less than $450. The last time that was possible was in 1986.

I really don't feel like you can compare having a playable amount of models vs a playable amount of models in other games. Malifaux is a skirmish type game so obviously it is going to be a lot cheaper than other games where you need 10-20 times the models at least. Start comparing model vs model cost and I think you will find Malifaux is no longer cheap. 

And I also don't agree that one full keyword and one full set of versatiles is more models than you will ever need, but that is irrelevant I guess. 

• Agree 1

That's OK. I was simply using those numbers as examples. It all comes down to price vs. perceived value. The age old question, "is it worth it?" In my case, I feel that yes, Wyrd does provide great value for money spent. Value over cost is a big thing for me. I'm the type of guy who wouldn't bat an eye at a $150 steak dinner at Morton's, but will complain up a storm when the Big Mac combo gets a $0.50 price hike. 😁

• Like 1

I’d say, it makes a very big difference, that you can get into Malifaux for 120-ish€, where GW games require far more. And sure you can solo masters in tournaments, but bringing 3ish crews is still the norm (heck my “not-so-much-Redchapel”-crew would cost €300+ in itself. 

It also makes a big difference, that jumping faction and trying out something new comes with the same “low” price point.

And as a painter/collector, it makes a very big difference that crews/themes are small and contained. You do not “build” and collect an army, you just say… Oooh mecha zombies, I’ll need to paint up the Amalgam and place the order.

And then there’s the quality of models. GW has some really nice multi-kits, but all of Malifaux models are character-level in detail. GW wins out on quality in production, but Wyrd wins out in variation; body types, poses, theme.

-

I enjoy painting up GW centrepieces once in a while, but my money goes to Wyrd. And would I want to do ‘army’ level games again at some point, I’d be looking into something more practical - like Warmaster.

• Agree 1

One thing that is helpful to remember is you're not just paying for plastic. You're paying for a good game system.

Otherwise price of models doesn't really matter because you can just 3d print proxies, etc.

So in that sense it makes sense to just view it as cost of the game rather than cost per mini.

I personally don't care if i can get 20 Warhammer models for cheaper if I need 100 models to play (or whatever).

• Like 1

What my local scene and I were anticipating for madness was boxes to complement the title boxes.

Example; if I bought the Coldsnap title box (December and Savage keyword) then I would have liked to see more December/Savage models in boxes. Instead of new masters and keywords for a release, if they released dual keyword Henchman, enforcers and minions and possibly alternative totems.

Which for me means you could buy your title box, and one or two more dual keyword boxes. You already own all of the December keyword but now you also own half of the Savage keyword so you can play two different crews and be more incentivised to buy the remainder of the Savage keyword. 

• Agree 1