New Player, New Meta, Struggling to Beat Jedza

Shadridium

Hello,

After working at it I've been able to get the local shop to start hosting Malifaux as a weekly event. I've got my Yan Lo and my buddy picked Tiri, but seeing as she's not quite here yet picked up Jedza.

After a handful of games at smaller points, and a few at 50 I'm having a very hard time dealing with Jedza and her crew. We are currently using Core Schemes and Strats.

Even tried some masters with lures to kill key pieces but I couldn't kill stuff before jedza gets close enough and the door closes on killing any of his crew.

Hopefully I'm just missing a piece or two of the puzzle and it might just be a bad matchup tho I would hope the answer isn't just "play something else" or "hire out of keyword" cause we are trying to minimize those responses to keep the complexity down to bring in new players.

Thanks a ton and I'll be around to answer a little bit later.

While I can't give you any specific Yan Lo tricks, I can try to give you some general hints on how to deal with Jedza.

From your description it sounds like you are talking about the "normal" version of Jedza and not the Title version "Jedza, Everlasting". And that the main problem is the "Fragility of Life" ability. Since it is an Aura, Jedza requires line of sight to the model she wants to heal. This means that if you can block her line of sight by placing a model between her and the model you want to kill, the ability does not work. This will of course be easier against smaller models.

It is also important to know that Fragility of Life does not work on Jedza herself, and while she might not be easy to kill it can definately be done. And without her, the Keyword isn't that strong.

And a general hint if you are having trouble beating a certain crew: Try and focus on the Schemes and Strategy. 

Hope this helps, and good luck!

• Agree 1

I did not notice that even though Fragility is an aura that it specifies other models. That is something I will try to take more advantage of. Thankfully I've found the keyword doesn't kill particularly well, and so sticking some nasty units into the bubble may be a technique I try next time. Focusing on strats and schemes has been a plan. I think the fact we keep flipping turf war and reckoning has my perspective skewed.

• 1 month later...