Returning to the game

Hot4Perdita

Hello everyone. I have been away from the game for about two years. I’m currently reviewing past errata and reviewing the rulebook. I can’t remember if it was gaining grounds season zero or season one that I last played, so still trying to figure out how far back I have to go.

is there anything else that I missed while I’ve been away? I’m assuming any gameplay changes have been updated in the most current rulebook that I downloaded? Looking at the Malifaux app, It seems that there are some new versions of existing masters.  I noticed that the Lady Justice alternate was heavily modified in the latest errata. Are these new models or just new rules? Do the new master versions replace the old ones, or are both still in play? 

Also, when does the next errata and gaining grounds come out? I would hate to order the current cards and have them invalidated soon after I get them.

If anyone has any advice or tips on getting me back into the game, I would be glad to hear it. Thank you.

Now every master has two titles: two different Stat cards that represent different ways to play the master.  You choose which one to use when building your crew (the app has the correct timing for this).

We don't know when the Gaining Grounds or next errata will be.  Ordinarily these are done within a few months of now, but we just had an errata so the old schedules are out the window.

Someone can probably expand on this more, but now there are two versions of every master. When you hire your crews you can choose either the original or the newer (Malifaux Burns) version if the master to lead your crew. This helps your crew respond to threats differently. Some originals masters have been overshadowed by the newer masters and won't see much gameplay for the foreseeable future, though they're still a legal hire. 

The basic game haven’t changed much. Some language has been made more precise in the rules, but that’s about it.

-

As others have explained Titles have come out, and in your case you’ll want Perdita2, as she’s suddenly taken a subpar crew into broken territory - along with a versatile guild mage.

The latest expansion Madness of Malifaux introduces a new breed of hyper efficient masters, where one action easily escalates into three, mostly invalidating existing model collections, if you’re more into winning than having an even game. Hopefully designers realize that this is a wrong path to take, when you invalidate 90% of your product. Otherwise we’re hopefully seeing an M4E just beyond the horizon.

-

Most discussion have migrated to Discord, for unknown reasons, so the forums are dying out.

-

But just get back in the game. You’ll feel right at home and have loads of fun. Most of the broken stuff only get to reign tournaments for a year before nerfs (and the next wave), and most faux players just want some fun and a great game.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Regelridderen said:

Most discussion have migrated to Discord, for unknown reasons, so the forums are dying out.

-

But just get back in the game. You’ll feel right at home and have loads of fun. Most of the broken stuff only get to reign tournaments for a year before nerfs (and the next wave), and most faux players just want some fun and a great game.

Thanks. I have the Discord for my local game store. I thought it was more for stuff like that than an actual forum. Doesn’t seem to be too user friendly for a forum, though I’ll admit I don’t use it much and am not well versed in its use.

Ditto on the having fun. I learned in the past that Malifaux is not a game I enjoy in a tournament setting. Casual is the only way I play it. 

10 hours ago, Hot4Perdita said:

Thanks. I have the Discord for my local game store. I thought it was more for stuff like that than an actual forum. Doesn’t seem to be too user friendly for a forum, though I’ll admit I don’t use it much and am not well versed in its use.

Ditto on the having fun. I learned in the past that Malifaux is not a game I enjoy in a tournament setting. Casual is the only way I play it. 

Then don’t worry about a thing ☺️

I do find tournaments fun - you can either go to win, or casually to meet new players and face crews that you don’t see in your normal meta, it’s what you make of it I guess.

• Like 1