Shifting Loyalties in M3E?

Hi everyone.

I am player and organizer and am planing for a small campain starting this summer. I was browsing for ideas and found the Shifting Loyalties. I missied that sadly back then. Had to build a local community first to even get the opportunity to play 😁

I wanted to ask those of you playing the game a little longer, does Shifting Loyalties kind of work for the 3rd edition as well? Would it be still worth getting a copy, or doesn't it work at all?

Thanks in advance

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ozzac said:

Since we are already here I had a couple of complaints. Basically asking for a starting warband of 50ss and removing the advancments. 

Basically to me it means deleting the "campaign" part of the game, what do you think?

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. 

If you are playing without the campaign upgrades and injuries, then you can certainly do that with Malifaux. That's probably how a lot of the slow grow leagues work.

I see them as different styles of game. If the player base want a more normal malifaux game, then all those upgrades and injuries can distract, and change what models do. Then a slow grow campaign with only restricted effects across games can certainly work, and have each game you know what your opponents models can do because they are always the same standard card. 

The Shifting loyalties campaign is intended to provide character growth within models across the campaign,  which is a different thing.

Both are things I'm interested in, but they "tickle" different parts of the interest in the game for me, so I can easily see play groups that would like one form and not the other.

In answer to the original poster -It can work with a few adaptations. It was never perfectly balanced so  the fact the adaptations will change some power levels isn't' a huge problem. If you like the idea of a story where your gang grow in more ways than just adding new models, then shifting loyalties provided that, and can relatively easily be adapted  to provide it in 3rd edition

I've moved this to discussion rather than rules, as its not really malifaux rules

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

On 5/9/2023 at 12:21 PM, Ozzac said:

Since we are already here I had a couple of complaints. Basically asking for a starting warband of 50ss and removing the advancments. 

Basically to me it means deleting the "campaign" part of the game, what do you think?

I am with Adran here. It depends on what you and of course your players want. For me as an organizer and player there is a huge difference between having a league or a campagne. A league fits better for a more competitive crowd. You try to evade randomness and therefore an evolving crew is probably not what you want.

In a campagne on the other hand, development is key for me. In a campagne it should be more about narratives and not about winning. Therefore randomness and even unbalanced games do not have to be a bad thing as it might fit the lore.

If your players are complaining about the small crews at the beginning and the advancements, a league might be the better choice for them and writting a lot of lore might be a wasted time...

But if you have a community that loves roleplaying, weird stuff happening and a plot, then every minute you invests in writing background stories is more than worth it.

Also, if you try to motivate new players to get into the game, starting with a small crew and let it grow is pretty nice, as they can buy, build, paint and learn step by step😇with or without lore

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I think I see the problem.

I love the randomness factor, and as such liked a lot of what shifting loyalties offers and I thought that my players would love it too, since we are also playing a bloodbowl league, with experience, injuries etc.

But it seems al least some of them want something different from malifaux, more like a "long tournement" than a narrative experience.

Thanks, reading both @Adran and @Drunken Monkey helped me see things in a different perspective outside of my own.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone

After your advice I got my hands on a copy of Shifting Loyalties in the late spring this year and started pondering. Sunday the 15th a small tournament finished our first campaign.
We did start with 18 players almost 14 weeks ago and on Sunday the 15th of this month eight of them played a tournament with all Injuries, Skills and Equipments gathered on the way 🙈

In order to give everyone enough time to play their games, we played six "Weeks" (rounds) of two calendar weeks each. In my experience a campaign should probably not be much longer than that, as after “week” 5 or 6 many crews won’t need new hires any more and will have pretty much all the Skills and Equipments they want.

We had a total of only 1 traitor and 4 annihilated models on the way. This feels a little like it was too easy to avoid Injuries. On the other hand it can be pretty unfun to get too many disadvantages from Injuries while others tend to flip a Red Joker on an Injury every game (Yes, this occurred “week”1🙈).

It was quite fun and I really can recommend this style of playing. In preparation for the campaign I tried to reformulate the rules section in the book and made some additions in order to make it work in M3E. So far it worked pretty much okay, but for next time I will have to take much more time for Skills and Injuries and stuff. Especially the Lucky Misses and the Faction specific Bounties need a make-over, I guess. Maybe I get lucky and there is a official M3E Campaign guide soon😇

I've read that @Ozzac did ban summoners because of the huge advantage. As we played GG3 I decided to try it with summoners allowed. So it would not escalate too much, I restricted summons to models in the arsenal and made sure they also get Injuries when killed. Even multiples if killed multiple times in a single game. I think this was a good approach, but we did not have that many summoning crews attending to evaluate that enough. A future consideration is the question if it is intended that injuries can be stocked on not so important models to lower one’s campaign rating. That's something summoner crews can pretty easily do and profit from additional Soulstones and Scrip. It can be seen as part of the game, but can also feel a little like playing the rules instead of playing the game (hope this is somehow understandable🙈).

If anyone would like, I could share some more details on the campaign and I would be happy to discuss some changes in rules and rewards.