2023 Monthly painting challenge - April

Hawkoon

Last month I had to take mulligan due to couldn't find time to finish, but this month I present to you twice ss cost of my pledge level (16+):

Miya Murakami, Ferdinand Vogel, The Beast Within, 3x sorrows.

Next month (after vacation), there would be more neverborn stuff. I need to prepere more crews for local tournament.

large.20230420_210255.jpg.319ea9642be48f7dbb64f972a2472cc6.jpglarge.20230420_210400.jpg.11c0637622d4ac5583f9f04bd5be27ea.jpglarge.20230420_211038.jpg.c0ee2ac0de0ae9f0e337cd41140fc655.jpglarge.20230420_211122.jpg.80095b824b8828eac95a6a36a5d2c946.jpglarge.20230420_211254.jpg.296e602e6d623cf0ddb19ad71b61f328.jpglarge.20230420_211331.jpg.a6ce4da3a662e03da228c56f3f01b71b.jpg

• Like 8

Well I thought I'd had a productive month of getting stuff done but then I come on here and... whoa.. 

@Virukamazing work on the nephilim- I was watching one of your streams the other day hoping to pick up some tips on using oils in my painting, which I have yet to brave. I have the whole obliteration crew to paint at some point so might try it for them.

@Gheistreally love those explorers models- that sandworm in particular ia lovely. 🪱 

@TrimaselTrimasela random selection of minis but all are looking lovely. 😍  particularly like the glowing green areas like on the pumpkin eyes. 🎃

@djmacbestyour Woe crew is looking great- looking forward to seeing more of these!

I haven't had much time for painting this month but I have managed to get a load of random bits and pieces off my painting table that have been there for a while. Back to speed painting process for alot of it in order to get stuff done. Ive got someone to play regular games against now for the first time since ive been collecting which ia brilliant, but it definitely leaves less time for painting! Next month will be more of the same I expect.

large.20230423_231024.jpg.ed7ee8bed19983e321cc79d04ebe852b.jpglarge.20230423_230849.jpg.58035150713b3c28974017217fd8f88e.jpglarge.20230423_230714.jpg.384f962a370379c65e8505601820a812.jpglarge.20230423_230433.jpg.8468f4e51f412f5c8bb78340c32a6c5f.jpglarge.20230423_230404.jpg.e735ff19365a6f58bfb31a5d40d8974f.jpglarge.20230423_230333.jpg.6e1decb92ddf0bf95ab6db63f2a81954.jpglarge.20230423_230607.jpg.73cba04ed5033e26dfe3669dd6eefb38.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Gearling #2 down - halfway through the Arcanist Starter Box! Struggled with the flat surfaces on this one, and redid most of them. Doing the "bounce" type NMM on the flat surfaces (particularly the compass-y left arm) looked much more natural than the gradient. To me, at least.

I didn't get any photos of it, but I'm adding scrolls, books and gears to the bases to liven up the wood floor/indoors bases. I'm pretty happy with how the floors came out, but they ARE a little boring ... I figured I was basically doing these as though they are in Frodsham's workshop, so it seemed like appropriate set decoration.

I'm going to do Mr. Frodsham next, which should hopefully be a bit quicker as any NMM is minimal. This has been a great learning experience for NMM, though. Saving Harris J-5 for last. No offense to Harrison, but his creation seems to be the marquee model of the set much more than him from a painting perspective ...

Gearling_2.jpg

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Moinetbeard said:

Ive got someone to play regular games against now for the first time since ive been collecting which ia brilliant, but it definitely leaves less time for painting! Next month will be more of the same I expect.

It's amazing how playing the games you are painting for eats into your painting time! ;) In all honesty, through the pandemic I came to enjoy the painting almost as much, if not more, than the playing. It's weird now how when I set up a time to play, I always end up thinking "wouldn't I be happier just painting at home?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/24/2023 at 6:02 PM, Brad Maynes said:

It's amazing how playing the games you are painting for eats into your painting time! ;) In all honesty, through the pandemic I came to enjoy the painting almost as much, if not more, than the playing. It's weird now how when I set up a time to play, I always end up thinking "wouldn't I be happier just painting at home?"

Yea I'm definitely happiest when finding a good balance between gaming and hobby time!

On 4/24/2023 at 12:58 PM, Brad Maynes said:

Gearling #2 down - halfway through the Arcanist Starter Box! Struggled with the flat surfaces on this one, and redid most of them. Doing the "bounce" type NMM on the flat surfaces (particularly the compass-y left arm) looked much more natural than the gradient. To me, at least.

I didn't get any photos of it, but I'm adding scrolls, books and gears to the bases to liven up the wood floor/indoors bases. I'm pretty happy with how the floors came out, but they ARE a little boring ... I figured I was basically doing these as though they are in Frodsham's workshop, so it seemed like appropriate set decoration.

I'm going to do Mr. Frodsham next, which should hopefully be a bit quicker as any NMM is minimal. This has been a great learning experience for NMM, though. Saving Harris J-5 for last. No offense to Harrison, but his creation seems to be the marquee model of the set much more than him from a painting perspective ...

Gearling_2.jpg

This looks amazing and the NMM is great!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I had to mulligan March due to being too busy and missing the end of month, but I managed to get in my buyback in early April and finish off my April pledge as well.  Total of 14 stones spread across the most boring of Autumn Knights "The Claw" and an Illuminated.  The Autumn Knight was about 80% done from 2019 when I started trying to be a little more conscious of painting Malifaux and actually finished my first completely done (including bases) Malifaux models during a store run painting event.  He was mostly painted in the dip style, using base coats of standard paints, followed by army painter quickshade.  I finished up his hair and 'dipped' him to finish him off.

kE42aPd.jpg

The Illuminated was also something started long ago.  I had only done the skin, based coat with normal paints, flesh wash, then some drybrush highlighting.  This was one of my 'pre-slap-chop, pre-zenithal' attempts at a layered priming where I primed white then did a black wash to try to get initial shading and highlights ready.  It was a terrible mess that can kind of still be seen in white shirt and can be seen in my earlier Foundry submissions here.  I did the hair, shoes, belt/suspenders, pants, and shirt with contrast over the dirty prime.  The brilliance corruption is turbodork Wave Length over black contrast.  Looks brighter in person and probably need to fiddle with phone camera setting a bit more to get it to show well here.  I kind of like the idea for brilliance and will continue it in other Honeypot corrupted models.

gl1Hbqs.jpg

Edited by Cats Laughing
Had wrong name for my Autumn Knight
  • Like 5

@djmacbest - I really like the ghostly and etheric look of these Aversions and Lyssas.

@Trimasel - this shade of green works so well with white! Great job

@Warpig - nice colors and excellent brushwork on the lone marshal

@Gheist - very nice vivid colors, excellent brushwork and I really like the base for Cooper2 - perfect match. The big thng next to Jedza2 - is that your take on Kurgan?

Also great to see minis from TT painted - first time for me and you've done them justice.

@Moinetbeard - thanks for the comment :) I can recommend chekcing out the oil painting videos on youtube - MarcoFrisoniNJM is the man! Really like the strong, bold highlights on your pieces from this month!

@Brad Maynes - the NMM of Gearlings is absolutely top notch

@TimH - the rotten green ksin tone is spot on!

@LinenMusician - very nice work, I particularly like how you've added texture with brushstrokes  

@Cats Laughing - the shiny look on mutated parts of this Illuminated looks great 

10 more soulstones for me, bringing me to a total of 174

painters-challenge-april-2023-redcaps.pn

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4