A question about Athorak and Eta Kinae

The_Lightkeeper

Hi I'm pretty new to Malifaux and I'm looking to more experienced people for help.

Before I ask my question I want to point out that when I search (fully and partially) in the app for abilities, actions or triggers that are only printed on him or any other returned, they don't show up.

My question is about his over healing. What happens with Eta Kinae when he's at max health and for example his regeneration triggers (or any other healing on a friendly model within the aura that is at max health).

Steps of healing according to the rules

1. Determine the amount to be Healed

2. Would Heal (skip all remaining steps if reduced to 0)

3. Check Maximum Health (skip steps 4-6 if at max)

4. When heals (skip all remaining steps if reduced to 0)

5. Increase the model’s Health (everything above maximum is ignored)

6. After heals

7. Excess Healing Effect

Most other models in the Returned Keyword have their Excess healing clearly worded so that step 3 is checked and if at max health, step 4-6 are skipped and step 7 is still applied. But Athorak his Eta Kinae ability seems to be worded differently, even though his Faith in the Flesh ability is worded pretty clearly.

Examples:

Kastore Awakened: Insatiable -  When this model would heal in excess of it's maximum health

Barbaros: Broodfighter - If this model would heal in excess of it's maximum health

Urnbearer: Faith in the flesh - If this model would heal in excess of it's maximum health

Urnbearer: Fill the urns - When a friendly Returned model would heal in excess of it's maximum health

White Eyes: Racked with spasms - If this model would heal in excess of it's maximum health

Eta Kinae is worded as something between this and We are legion from Cadmus.

Eta Kinae: When a friendly model heals in excess of its maximum health

We are Legion: When this model heals

I can argue that either Eta Kinae when at max health and healing is applied is:

-A step 4 "when heals" effect that is skipped because of step 3. (as found in the latest FAQ)

-A step 7 effect that is applied because it has the words "in excess of its maximum health"

I tend to lean to the latter and think this one just missed the round of checks that words abilities with the same effects identically. But I can see it ruled the other way as well.

It's quite clear in the text for Eta Kithae. If a friendly model within :ToS-Aura:4 would heal in excess of it's maximum health it get's shielded.

That means if it's full health and gets a heal, it gets shielded instead. If it has taken 2 damage and heals for 3 or more, it gets both 2 healing and shielded. If it has taken 3 damage and heals for 3 or less it does not get shielded.

There simply isn't any complex timing here.

32 minutes ago, Hawkoon said:

It's quite clear in the text for Eta Kithae. If a friendly model within :ToS-Aura:4 would heal in excess of it's maximum health it get's shielded.

That means if it's full health and gets a heal, it gets shielded instead. If it has taken 2 damage and heals for 3 or more, it gets both 2 healing and shielded. If it has taken 3 damage and heals for 3 or less it does not get shielded.

There simply isn't any complex timing here.

Thanks for the answer.

The only confusion I had is because the text doesn't say would heal in excess of it's maximum health like all the other abilities in the keyword that do. The only confusion here was because it was worded as a when heals, what on it's own would not happen. But I'm happy to follow that, if it is the consensus. It was my first thought anyway until I read the FAQ.