Help me find what I'm looking for.

Roux-ga-roux

I'm interesting in playing Malifaux (obviously) and am trying to decide on my first Master, and eventually, faction. But I need some help from the community since it's a lot of information to digest for a newb.

So basically, my favorite playstyle is to proactively deny players the ability to do anything productive. A lot of control style players typically wait for their opponent to do something and then respond by countering with an ability that makes it difficult for their opponent to successfully complete whatever task or goal they were attempting to accomplish by hindering them in some way.

I tend to prefer a more aggressive approach that nullifies opponent's abilities or denies them whatever resources needed that allows them to use their abilities in the first place. A good analogy would be to disable a car's engine before the owner even has the opportunity to turn the key.

Ideally, when it's my opponent's turn to decide what to do, they'll simply be left with no (or very few) viable options as they will be denied any chance beforehand to do so.

So is there any Master that fits that profile? Are there any factions that excel at those tactics that are worth looking at? Any help would be sincerely and greatly appreciated. And if you've read this far, thank you so much for your time and patience.

See you guys on the other side!

There probably isn't a master that quite does what you're asking, as it's generally unfun to not be allowed to play the game.

There are several mechanics that do similar things to parts of the game, such as hand destruction  and distracted condition or slow condition.  

It might not be quite what you were thinking of, but youko from the ten thunders is worth looking at.

Nellie in guild does similar but rather than hand destruction she hinders the interact action, which is needed to score points. 

If  I've misjudged the control you want, there are several other control masters which might fit what you want, but those where the 2 that most seem to fit the mtg land destruction that I think is the control you're after. 

Unlike TCG, miniature games usually don't have the completely deny playstyle due to the difference of game mechanic and design. But there are several masters in Malifaux mostly being classified as "Control Master", who can attack opponent's resources, reduces their Action efficiency or force them to do something less optimizing. I think you would like to check out the following list:

• Nellie: mainly disturbing enemies doing Strategy and Schemes.
  • Jack Daw: good at stop enemies from moving and hold them in a place.
  • Pandora: can hand out condition to limit what opponent can do. Probably the most classic control master.
  • Zipp: has vary way to move enemies into bad position and can create blocking obstacle on their way.

Ahhhhhh control! That sweet, sweet taste of seeing the light in your opponent's eyes slowly die as you remove their options one by one. Some thoughts on crews worth looking at:

The busted stuff

Damian: This guy can turn off any form of damage reduction, and so says 'no' to your opponent by denying their damage reduction and just deleting their crew.

Tull: This guy can remove scheme markers anywhere on the table, has a crew that's close to immortal, and has Heavy Salvo which can throw people through walls and stagger them, basically taking them out of the game for a turn.

Both are stupidly busted and I think most formats aiming for good game balance ban these two.

Points deniers

Sure, your opponent gets to play the game. But they're not allowed to score points.

Molly: she has supremely good scheme marker removal, and a highly mobile team that's fantastic at hunting down enemy point-scoring models. Not so strong in the current GG/meta with things like the above two running around. Does best when using some non-keyword models.

Nellie: Exclusive interview is one of the most powerful anti-scoring mechanics in the game. It just straight up controls people trying to interact to score points. Not quite as powerful this season, but still pretty sweet. Does best when using some non-keyword models.

Youko: Has extremely powerful 'activation control', so can often play the game after the opponent's whole team has activated with no chance to respond.

And more!

Model Control

These crews aim to control models, often slowly grinding them to death while doing so.

Pandora: a bubble of stun-happy death. Once a model gets near Pandora's crew, they get locked down and die by a thousand pings.

Jack Daw: similar to Pandora, but also drains their hand while doing it and has huge terrifying values so the crew is very hard to hit without special tech.

Zoraida: Can literally take control of enemy models via 'obey', and also curse them with a voodoo doll and stack them with negative conditions by attacking with a wisp. Best when using some non-keyword models.

And more!

That's just a brief overview of some of the types of control in Malifaux. There's heaps of other options, so if you can be a bit more specific can give some advice.

Competitively, I'd say being 'proactive' is almost always recommended. So whatever crew you play, your style of proactively controlling the game (or points) will be a good way to play the crew.

• Agree 1