Yan Lo and the Kabukis

Regelridderen

I just painted up a couple of Kabukis. Got them to paint with the excuse to use them in my Honeypot, but found I haven’t got the room.

Instead, I’ve been testing them out in Yan Lo, and that’s a whole different story :

With the Reliquae of Yin, you get a beater with Terrifying 11, Distraction Aura - that’s nasty. 

With the Reliquae of Toshiro, build in +flips on hits. So when you’re not charging, all your melee attacks are basically Min3 focused Stat6 attacks. 

Add to this, the ability to sink actions and Focused into them via Toshiro’s Daimyo’s Gift / Foul-mouthed Motivation. Handing them focus via Sun Quiang or just Obeying via Spiritwalker. You get a lot of very hard-hitting attacks.

• Like 1

Just now, Maniacal_cackle said:

Also puts opponent on a minus for resisting Yan los attacks!

Or sun or chiaki, who have some brutal triggers.

Or Yin for that matter - along with protecting Yin and Toshiro, when they advance. 

My core is the 2 Kabukis with Yin and Toshiro. Then everything is interchangeable. 

Need even more mobility - throw in Manos. 
Need a little extra security give the Kabukis HtK - and a nice bonus action - via Silent Protector. Or how about throwing in a Samurai to provide cover fire?

Etc. 

9 hours ago, Regelridderen said:

Or Yin for that matter - along with protecting Yin and Toshiro, when they advance. 

My core is the 2 Kabukis with Yin and Toshiro. Then everything is interchangeable. 

Need even more mobility - throw in Manos. 
Need a little extra security give the Kabukis HtK - and a nice bonus action - via Silent Protector. Or how about throwing in a Samurai to provide cover fire?

Etc. 

Are you doing Yan lo 1 or 2?

11 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Are you doing Yan lo 1 or 2?

I think, Yan2 holds the advantage, not needing Chiaki for the Reliquaries. And having Obeys to Channel his action in their hypercharged Greatswords. 

Yet, Yan1 has the advantage of even more healing, and the Kabuki are nothing if not squishy.  

The problem with Yan2 is being dependent on masks, that he won’t get with the Kabukis. If you can put a Reliquary on Toshiro, you can chain Obeys through the Daimyo’s gift - but then you need not one but two 7+ - and preferably a third ancestor, as both Yina and Yan is wasted on Toshiro. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Could try focusing on attacking enemies to benefit from the distraction aura?

His attacks are pretty solid. And so are Yan 1s xD

Indeed, I’ve found he does more shooting than I imagined, but of course the shooting is very good - especially vs armor/incorporeal.

So in the end it’ll be a choice between the two, dependent on style, opponent and schemes. Which is just good game design.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Regelridderen said:

Indeed, I’ve found he does more shooting than I imagined, but of course the shooting is very good - especially vs armor/incorporeal.

So in the end it’ll be a choice between the two, dependent on style, opponent and schemes. Which is just good game design.

Another neat trick for Yan Lo 2 is to have Sun Quiang give him two focus on turn 1.  There's a shocking number of models in the game he can just shred with two focus and ignoring armor & incorp xD

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Another neat trick for Yan Lo 2 is to have Sun Quiang give him two focus on turn 1.  There's a shocking number of models in the game he can just shred with two focus and ignoring armor & incorp xD

I’m also musing on a list with double kabuki, double samurai and Toshiro.

A 12” death bubble with 12” reach. And the armored samurai will bring something good to an otherwise squishy list.

New The Spirit Walker Crew (Ten Thunders)
Size: 50 - Pool: 4
Leader:
  Yan Lo, The Spirit Walker
Totem(s):
  Soul Porter
Hires:
  Toshiro, The Daimyo
  Sun Quiang
  Komainu
  Komainu 2
  Kabuki Warrior
  Kabuki Warrior 2