Calculate possibilities with less than 10 cards deck

Fingalen

Question

How does Calculate possibilities work, when there are less then 10 cards in a fate deck?

Let’s say there are 8 cards left in a deck. Do I:

1) discard the 8 and pick up to 3 cards from the full discard pile;

2) discard cards one by one, shuffling the new deck when there is none and discard the rest (2 cards), from which a choose cards to shuffle back;

3) set aside 8 cards, shuffle the new deck set aside 2 more, than discard all 10 cards and choose my cards from those 10 cards?

2 answers to this question

There's a recent addition to the FAQ to cover this sort of situation:

33. *If an effect would allow a model to look at or reveal the top card(s) of a Fate Deck, and there are not enough cards left in the Fate Deck, is the Fate Deck shuffled?
a) Yes. For example, if Sonnia Criid, Unmasked uses Confiscated Lore, but the opponent only has three cards left in their Fate Deck,

set those cards aside, shuffle the Fate Deck, and then draw two more cards for Sonnia to look at.

The reason why this applies is the bit about discarding multiple cards at once:

Whenever a card is discarded, it is placed on top of the owner’s Discard Pile. If multiple cards are placed into a Discard Pile at once, they are revealed to all players before being placed in the Discard Pile in any order the discarding player chooses.

So, "Discard the top ten cards of the fate deck" is actually "Take ten cards off of the fate deck, reveal them to everyone, and then place those ten cards in any order in the discard pile."

So option three:  set aside 8 cards, shuffle the new deck set aside 2 more, than discard all 10 cards and choose my cards from those 10 cards

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1