Harpooner and strategy markers

Akhail

Question

Hello everyone

We came across a game with Covert Operation Strategy and have a huge doubt with Harpooners "Reel In" Action.

"REEL IN" says that "that action may target a Marker", but it does not specify any marker, can that action target a Strategy Marker? It could be a huge advantage for that model in this case.

I know in Rules page number 28 it says that Strategy markers cannot be target of models but the Breaking the Rules Statement states otherwise, and as the action does not specify a type of marker my group of friends and me have this doubt and could not see anywhere a solution to this.

Thanks in advance for your time!! 

2 answers to this question

Reel In can affect any normal Marker. This means Scheme, Corpse, Scrap, and those 'terrain' markers like Pyres, Pit Traps, Pylons, Ice Pillars, etc. The Harpooner can use this action on any of those Markers.

Strategy Markers are special and can only be affected by the effects of models that are specifically called out in the Strategy itself. Usually this means an Interact Action, but could be other things. There are no Strategies (yet) that allow something like Reel In to affect the Strategy marker. It would greatly warp the game to allow this interaction.

There are some corner case things that don't directly 'affect' the Strategy Markers that can come into play. The most common is Seamus's Secret Passage to Place near a Strategy Marker with the Blocking Trait. Since Secret Passage doe not Target the Strategy Marker or other affect it, this has been commonly agreed to work. If it had to target the Strat Marker as part of the Action, it would not. 

• Thanks 1