Opposed flips gameplay

Shortcircuit

Hi there, I just wanted to share a new gamplay mode that removes static stats non fated characters/ monsters have and that promotes a more dynamic approach to the game.

1) Each player has his own fate deck and so does the Fatemaster.

2) When a player cheats fate he/she may replace the suit of a card if it matches the value listed in the twist deck. E.g: If player cheats a 7 of crows but he/she has the 7 of rams in the twist deck list, the player may replace the crow for a ram.

3) According to rank non-fated characters get bonuses to their totals: Peon=-1, Minion=+0, Enforcer=+1, Henchman=+2, Master=+3, Avatar=+4, Tyrant=+5

Try this, I found the alternative better gameplaywise. 

comments?

• 1 month later...

The topic of opposed flips crops up from time to time. I am a major supporter of the idea, which in fact was an optional rule in the 1st edition Fatemaster's Almanac. Opposed flips fix a lot of what's wrong with TtB mechanically, at virtually no cost (it's marginally slower).

I run TtB with opposed flips, but I use just two decks. One of the fated, and one for Fatemaster characters.

In regards to your system:

1. Each player having their own fate deck is fine, but it greatly changes the math of the game.

2. I'm not sure what you're gaining by changing the way cheating works. It feels more restrictive to limit cheating to just suit exchanges.

3. Fatemaster characters shouldn't need any bonus, because they already have printed AVs. All you need to do is add the flipped card's value to their AV. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2023 at 12:49 AM, LeperColony said:

The topic of opposed flips crops up from time to time. I am a major supporter of the idea, which in fact was an optional rule in the 1st edition Fatemaster's Almanac. Opposed flips fix a lot of what's wrong with TtB mechanically, at virtually no cost (it's marginally slower).

I run TtB with opposed flips, but I use just two decks. One of the fated, and one for Fatemaster characters.

In regards to your system:

1. Each player having their own fate deck is fine, but it greatly changes the math of the game.

2. I'm not sure what you're gaining by changing the way cheating works. It feels more restrictive to limit cheating to just suit exchanges.

3. Fatemaster characters shouldn't need any bonus, because they already have printed AVs. All you need to do is add the flipped card's value to their AV. 

I'm changing the way cheating works to remove the existance of the twist deck. If each player has his deck + a twist deck things get too complicated for nothing.

As for adding bonuses I felt that they would reflect just how good master characters are vs minions. Example, in the core book Von Shill only has an AV for shooting of 6... and a Freikorpsmann has also an AV of 6 for shooting. So if you do not add those bonuses, Masters, Avatars and Tyrants are just pushovers....

Edited 18 hours ago by Shortcircuit

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I really want to make the switch to opposed duels for my next campaign, because static TNs really makes it hard for me to regularly challenge my players and also makes certain rules less fun in my opinion.(terrifying for example) 

I've been really hesitant to pull the trigger on this because I'm still new enough that I don't fully grasp how to balance encounters in this game as it is, but as regular Malifaux player it might actually be easier for me to grasp the math of opposed flips. I dunno.

7 hours ago, Ravenzadow said:

Honestly, I really want to make the switch to opposed duels for my next campaign, because static TNs really makes it hard for me to regularly challenge my players and also makes certain rules less fun in my opinion.(terrifying for example) 

I've been really hesitant to pull the trigger on this because I'm still new enough that I don't fully grasp how to balance encounters in this game as it is, but as regular Malifaux player it might actually be easier for me to grasp the math of opposed flips. I dunno.

Try it, I never went back and my players actually enjoy the game more.