2023 Monthly painting challenge - March

Hawkoon

2 hours ago, Silver_lining_minipainting said:

That is a great piece. The backdrop was really excellent and so was the atmosphere. For me it was just below my top 3. Great job! 

Thank you! I think I could have made it better if I actually had access to my hobby space and all my usual tools, but I had to make due with a makeshift painting station on the kitchen table 🤣 Most notably I didn't have my magnifying goggles, so my brushcontrol wasn't the best. Due to the rest of the family actually needing the table every now and then I didn't really have enough time to put in the effort I would have liked either.

But next time....

20 minutes ago, Hawkoon said:

Thank you! I think I could have made it better if I actually had access to my hobby space and all my usual tools, but I had to make due with a makeshift painting station on the kitchen table 🤣 Most notably I didn't have my magnifying goggles, so my brushcontrol wasn't the best. Due to the rest of the family actually needing the table every now and then I didn't really have enough time to put in the effort I would have liked either.

But next time....

Looking forward to next time! 😀

• Agree 1

Alright, month about to enter its final third, time for a status update:

March so far:

- Finished both Viks, Big Jake, 1x Ronin
- "Finished" Kaeris (alt) - to be fair, all I did was varnish her, because I was pondering adding some changes for the last couple of weeks and just now decided to leave her as it is for now, so wouldn't really count her as painted in March
- Taking a break from Mercenary for now, instead starting with painting some Woes, I think

9rPOAQA.jpgGhjbbAP.jpg

uel5VDx.jpgUeUhEPn.jpg

4JKcKp8.jpg

So here's what I'm going to start today:

6PpsQp1.jpg

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, LinenMusician said:

So now I can post my mini from contest) This time photo was a bit darker than it should be, so here it is with brightness tuned a little.  Pretty happy with owl in general and leg in particular 🙂 For the rest of march planing to finish Calypso and The Beast Withinlarge.2521338A-804D-42F5-BF34-A8936F163342.jpeg.14b8520ea756bfbc891182486704eba3.jpeg

I don't see any owls, but the light looks very good😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TimH said:

Cutting it close but here is my contribution this month.

4Kds2QU.jpg

The big beasts to back up the rest of the Chimera keyword.

Also from last month my entry to the painting contest.

X0m1Cf3.jpg

I love how much better your painting has gotten over the last 18 Months ❤️ good Job man

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Gheist said:

I love how much better your painting has gotten over the last 18 Months ❤️ good Job man

Much appreciated! With Nekima there are a lot of things I'm not entirely pleased with, the face kept giving me troubles and my camera work remains shoddy, but her sword was my first sizeable attempt at NMM and I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

As for the Chimera's I'm especially pleased with Cojo's fur. I have always hated the way the sculpt looks as he is a big hairy ape with incredibly smooth curvy surfaces all over him where his hair is meant to be. I did a little greenstuff work around the joins to hide some of his really big connection gaps and then the paint work feels like it has actually added some depth to his fur to counteract how smooth it was.

@Gheist - great looking crew, those bright colors go so well with darker bases!

@TimH - great looking beasts! Bright shades on Nekima and cartoonish style of painting worked really well too!

@Warpig - nice nd clean brushwork there! Old metal minis may lack some of the detail and dynamism of the new plastics but they do have great character!

From my end - reporting a grand total of 307 soulstones. Don't think I can do more :)

I painted some 3D prints that will stand in for Kastore Fervent, Cavern Nephilim, and Gwyll + Barbaros and Blood Hunter.

painters-challenge-march-2023-13.jpg
painters-challenge-march-2023-14.jpg
painters-challenge-march-2023-15.jpg

• Like 3

Caedrus, reporting in!

I will have to upload images later, as I am away with family, but this month I managed to squeeze in just enough points to avoid a Mulligan.

I managed a Pigapult (7SS), a Slop Hauler (5SS) and a War Pig (9SS), making 21SS total!

Images to come soon!

Caedrus.

• Like 1

March wasn't a bad month. Well, it was, workwise, but I poured pretty much every free minute into the miniature hobby - my letterboxd profile for example is completely empty, I didn't watch a single movie. So, aside from assembling a bunch of Warcradle Scenics terrain and about 50 Malifaux minis, here's what I finished painting this month:
- 2x Viktoria Chambers (M2E models) - 2x11SS = 22SS
- 2x Ronin (M2E models) - 2x6SS = 12SS
- Big Jake - 5SS
- Baby Kade - 7SS
==> 48 Soulstones
- honorable mention: Kaeris (alternate), which I pondered making some more changes, but then just ended up varnishing as it was

And then there's a lot of WIP stuff that I started slapping paint on and which will likely be top of the queue for April:
- Pandora is closest to the finish line, just some cleanup and a bit of details on smaller elements still missing
- Candy has her basecoats and first layers of shading, but no highlights yet
- Sorrows and Poltergeist I started once I realized that I really like how the green glow on Pandora and Kade came out and how easy it was to get there (white basecoat, thin layer of VGC Livery Green, then generous drybrush of VMC Fluorescent Green) - might add a bit more contrast with a slightly darker greenish tone on the highest parts, but may even leave it like it is
- Pandora2 is such a cool sculpt. Shame building up the different shades of red it needs to look interesting will require about 20 layers. I'm at about 10 right now...
- With Vanessa, as always, I got hesitant as soon as I got to the fire. Always lose confidence as soon as I'm supposed to paint flames, haven't found a recipe I'm happy with yet
- Hans I just lost interest a bit, that one may stay half-painted for a while

So here's the end of March status in one picture:

zifey2h.jpg 

• Like 3