2023 Monthly painting challenge - March

Hawkoon

Another month passed, although a short one, and we're here again for next month challenge!

My house is still under renovation, so I have to admit I haven't been the greatest host so far this year, but atleast I can see the end of it now. I promise to be more active once it's finished!

Again I'd like to remind the good people of Wyrd's painitng contest "Cast a spell" that has a deadline 6'th of March.

I'm hard at work to trying to finish my entry in time. (It's going to be a close one I think)

I find these competitions to be a great motivation for getting stuff painted and pushing my skills further. I never participate to win anything, nor do I expect anything in return (outside of painted models and hopefully increased skill). The more people enter the contest, the more interesting for everyone it becomes, so I highly reccomend entering.

Now, I better get back at painting, and wish you all the best of luck for this months challenge and hope to see some of your entries in the galleries!

• Like 1

After not being very productive in February I've tried to hit the ground running in March. Last night I sat down and bashed out this railworker in a couple of hours. I plan to complete mei feng, the metal golem and the accompanying gamin this month, ready for a tournament at the start of April.

large.20230302_221750.jpg.3b676266456d130c8193019015de6614.jpg

I haven't got round to doing anything for the Wyrd competition, but will be watching with interest and hopefully be up for doing something for the next one.

• Like 5

Caedrus, reporting in!

Hi there folks, as the real world continues to kick my butt, my pledge for this month is going to be super-modest.

Two Lightning Bugs and a Pigapult is my best guess of where I shall be!

Have a fantastic March!

Caedrus.

Alright, I've been out for a couple of years, but a few weeks ago two friends all of a sudden asked about Malifaux and sparked a ton of motivation. Plus: The pile of shame is absolutely huge at this point, so I decided to jump back into this challenge. I just pledged for Henchman (11+ SS) - with current motivation levels and a few almost finished minis already, that's not going to be too hard, but I guess it won't stay that way across the year, so we'll see.

I'm currently working on my Viks crew, here's what I painted yesterday - Vanessa Chambers (alternate) and the final Ronin (got the M2E box). Vanessa's cloak is done, everything else still needs details and highlights, and with the flame and metallic staff I have not even started yet. And with the Ronin I only wanted to try a new recipe for ginger hair, so that's pretty much all at this point:

FVeGrUj.jpegvNMzA1d.jpeg

A lot closer to done are the two Viks themselves. Still require some highlights and cleanup. Oh and I'm super uncertain about that enchanted katana - tried one of the Greenstuffworld Color Shift Metallics on it, but I don't know if it reads properly or if should rather just go with standard TMM instead:

ftxvoUV.jpegFNBOUhw.jpeg

Once those four are done, I'll probably move on to these two gentlemen:

jAjpOPl.jpeg

...or to my huge pile of shame:

EeHNRA7.jpegSkWyPb8.jpeg

(plus about ten boxes I have not even started assembling yet...)

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, djmacbest said:

Alright, I've been out for a couple of years, but a few weeks ago two friends all of a sudden asked about Malifaux and sparked a ton of motivation. Plus: The pile of shame is absolutely huge at this point, so I decided to jump back into this challenge. I just pledged for Henchman (11+ SS) - with current motivation levels and a few almost finished minis already, that's not going to be too hard, but I guess it won't stay that way across the year, so we'll see.

I'm currently working on my Viks crew, here's what I painted yesterday - Vanessa Chambers (alternate) and the final Ronin (got the M2E box). Vanessa's cloak is done, everything else still needs details and highlights, and with the flame and metallic staff I have not even started yet. And with the Ronin I only wanted to try a new recipe for ginger hair, so that's pretty much all at this point:

FVeGrUj.jpegvNMzA1d.jpeg

A lot closer to done are the two Viks themselves. Still require some highlights and cleanup. Oh and I'm super uncertain about that enchanted katana - tried one of the Greenstuffworld Color Shift Metallics on it, but I don't know if it reads properly or if should rather just go with standard TMM instead:

ftxvoUV.jpegFNBOUhw.jpeg

Once those four are done, I'll probably move on to these two gentlemen:

jAjpOPl.jpeg

...or to my huge pile of shame:

EeHNRA7.jpegSkWyPb8.jpeg

(plus about ten boxes I have not even started assembling yet...)

Welcome back! Always nice to see more people joining in👍Love the 2E Viks and Ronin (I think they are far better sculpts than the 3E versions).

But I have to correct you on one thing... That's no pile... It's more like a marginal-bump-of-shame🤣

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Hawkoon said:

👍Love the 2E Viks and Ronin (I think they are far better sculpts than the 3E versions).

Thanks! To be honest, I like the 3E ones, too, but there is already quite a lot of this kind of wild west aesthetics going on, while katana punk schoolgirls hast a bit less competition in terms of looks...

5 hours ago, Hawkoon said:

Welcome back! Always nice to see more people joining in👍Love the 2E Viks and Ronin (I think they are far better sculpts than the 3E versions).

But I have to correct you on one thing... That's no pile... It's more like a marginal-bump-of-shame🤣

That’s a pretty small pile of shame. You should see my battletech backlog 😞

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Warpig said:

That’s a pretty small pile of shame. You should see my battletech backlog 😞

I mean there's 10-12 unassembled Malifaux boxes, then there is all of the Conan boardgame (about 200 minis, maybe 20 painted) and Mythic Battles Pantheon all-in (also about 20/200 painted). I'm dreading the day Mythic Battles Ragnarok arrives at my doorstep... 😷

• Like 1

Has the pledge reporting link disappeared? I couldn't find it in February thread...

Anyway, I've had a solid start of the month with these 4 Young ones (28 stones)

painters-challenge-March-2023-01.jpg
painters-challenge-March-2023-02.jpg

Not sure if we can factor in proxies, these are two stand-ins for Athorak (16 stones)

painters-challenge-March-2023-03.jpg

And I also finally finished Iconic Titania - again, not sure how many soulstones she might be worth?
painters-challenge-March-2023-04.jpg

@Hawkoon can you advise ? :)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Viruk said:

Has the pledge reporting link disappeared? I couldn't find it in February thread...

Not sure if we can factor in proxies, these are two stand-ins for Athorak (16 stones)

And I also finally finished Iconic Titania - again, not sure how many soulstones she might be worth?

The link should be in the 2'nd post from the top. I'm lazy and just referenced it in instead of writing it up (might be a better way to do this, so I'm open to advice)

I guess we should approve of proxies for unreleased models, the same way we would conversions, so I'll allow it. (even though you painted 2 of the same henchman :P )

When it comes to SS count for the large iconic models, they're quite close to the size of a TOS Titan aren't they? I'd think it's fair to award the same, so 25 SS.

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2023 at 5:30 AM, Viruk said:

I really want to get some of the iconic. They look great. 

• Like 1

You get a mulligan and can buy back the mulligan, so you can go two months without anything malifaux/The other side.

Also terrain counts too, and given the background, almost anything would be workable terrain.  Maybe sci-fi is questionable, but it could be a Dreamer Dream or nowadays it could be something the Aua made.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, djmacbest said:

While we're at it: There's no points just for assembling either, right? Guess I could have painted a month's worth of SS during this time... :D 

nUmplTM.jpg

Sorry, this is a painting challenge, but feel free to start an assembly challenge if you want😅

• Haha 1

here is Mei Feng, Foreman completed. I've been enjoying playing her recently and am planning to use her at a tournament at the start of April, which give me a bit over 2 weeks to finish the Golem, Neil Henry and the 3 gamin. The Gamin will be entered into the painting competition for the event so maybe I'll take a little more time on them. I've also got a second soulstone miner I can probably finish this Month which will completely finish my Tricksy crew.

large.IMG_20230313_224435_482.jpg.4f0b348488114e9f77fb0c8140fdb62e.jpg

Nice work from everyone this month and lovely to see some new faces taking part!

I should be checking in before the end of the month with a couple more completed models so see you then.

• Like 6

Hi there!  Another Foundry model done, this month was Sparks turn, for 8ss

wBVtoG0.jpeg

tried a different background instead of my "classic" black tshirt, and i recon the pic looks quite nice!

I have other projects in mind, but i might try to squeeze another foundry model for this month too

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Diddick said:

Hi there!  Another Foundry model done, this month was Sparks turn, for 8ss

wBVtoG0.jpeg

tried a different background instead of my "classic" black tshirt, and i recon the pic looks quite nice!

I have other projects in mind, but i might try to squeeze another foundry model for this month too

Ahh Sparks looks so good! always love seeing your models. the background looks really great as well - i think the lighting you've got on him as well as simple background is key to making that work. He's fast becoming my favourite malifaux character. I've used him alot both with Mah Tucket and Mei and he's always useful. My kids love him too  - my 5yr old always asks how he got on in my games and calls him "king of the Gremlins"😅 Hopefully next edition they'll make him a Master 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Moinetbeard said:

Ahh Sparks looks so good! always love seeing your models. the background looks really great as well - i think the lighting you've got on him as well as simple background is key to making that work. He's fast becoming my favourite malifaux character. I've used him alot both with Mah Tucket and Mei and he's always useful. My kids love him too  - my 5yr old always asks how he got on in my games and calls him "king of the Gremlins"😅 Hopefully next edition they'll make him a Master 🤣

He is "majestic" compared to other gremlins, and huge, definitely a candidate to be the king, he can just bonk in the head with his wrench anyone who dares to defy him 😆😆

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hawkoon said:

Here's my entry for Cast a Spell, netting me 4+7SS for this months challenge.

large.pixlr_20230302143932210.jpg.0ff69d

Still got the Bandersnatch left to finish off my Nightmare keyword, and hope to get it done by the end of the month🤔

That is a great piece. The backdrop was really excellent and so was the atmosphere. For me it was just below my top 3. Great job! 

• Like 1