2023 Monthly painting challenge - February

Hawkoon

Oh! What? February you say? Is January over already?

No, seriously, sorry for the delay. My house is a mess and currently a lot to do at work. I blame all the gremlins from last months challenge! There were sooo many... (But very well painted, I must say👏)

But, that doesn't mean I don't have time for painting, right? And what a great time for painting it is! Almost magical, you could say! 

Check out Wyrd's competition:

https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/160699-winter-painting-competition-cast-a-spell/

I'll need to come up with something clever this time, and I got some ideas, but not quite sure if I'll be able to actually see it through with my house in it's current state. Anyone else planning to participate?

And that brings me to this months topic: Competitions. Do you participate? Why/why not? What makes a good/bad competition?

• Like 2

Hi Guys,

i'll post my January Stuff here, with a plea to let it slide this time. Life was pretty harsh and couldn't get my ass up and post.

9zfO7GY.jpgrjqvZPf.jpglp2gQRR.jpgga4yMhP.jpg

I also finished a ton of Piano Markers like these two

KTy1ky6.jpg

Which were odd because the raised keys indicate some strange tuning indeed

and this is likely my pledge for February

J81MbUj.jpg

The Grey Scale on the Lone Swordsman already ate a lot of time so he is going to be first i guess. Have a good February everyone

• Like 7

Hi there!

I almost forgot to add my pledge for the month!

I'll do 2 of the survivors, the 3rd one i used last year for a painting contest and i'll just rebase it to match the other 2

AJiuS2f.jpg

I love those sculpts, i'll put special care on those tiny guys ❤️

@Gheist incredible paintjobs, and those WiPS look amazing already 👌

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey all! Giving myself a bit of a break from painting this month as January was intense. However I busted out the paints this evening and finished Bo Peep. Pretty pleased with how she came out considering it was a quick job. I had a go out using some clear resin to make a splash effect which turned out OK. I might experiment with some other types of resin in later months.

large.20230220_220330.jpg.90a66143dacd12027ccf22293f76cbaa.jpglarge.20230220_220347.jpg.a20ea8ebbd0243765a2c638fa3d280ed.jpglarge.20230220_220712.jpg.c73bfa73e04f7dfe325738e7755673a7.jpglarge.20230220_220840.jpg.8736177ee70fbfbd34f1ff9bc8c8d539.jpg

• Like 6

@Hawkoon thank you! A little bit embarrassing, that not found it before.

At least now I can fully report my month. Unfortunately, this month I started painting a little bit before announcement of painting contest...😢 And got vacation in the end of month... So just painted my pledge level: Damien & Belleventine.

Maybe, after vacation I will try to fast register, paint for it & as well for next month. Additionally we got local tournament, so would be nice to finish one model😅

large.IMG_20230216_222557.jpg.a062a711250205c766f98bd71bfec7ca.jpglarge.IMG_20230216_222519.jpg.e2f240cc8dd0d26a76bcc285e38d1823.jpg

• Like 6

I don't expect I'll get any more Malifaux done this month.  If I paint this weekend/early next week it'll likely be trying to clear off my unpainted MCP so I can be nearly fully painted there (currently 33 of 38 models painted there, while I won't even both trying to count painted vs unpainting in Malifaux...)

So here's my pledge for February: 2 dirty-ly painted Rail Workers

emijkFO.jpg

These were originally primed white, then given a wash of black (to try a version of zenithal or slap chop), but the black wash came out real splotchy (you can kind of see this on the base) and didn't really mimic zenithal or slap chop and also they sat on the shelf collecting dust for years.  Not as clean as much of the rest of the keyword, but I'm fine with that.  Checking my pile of potential, with these two done, Miss Fire (alt Willie, as yet unassembled) is the only Foundry model I own that isn't painted, though I don't have Neil (or standard Willie), Mei2, or the Rock Lobster-Hopper.  I don't know when I'll get those models, but I suppose I can move onto prepping their bases or another keyword.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Warpig said:

You guys have some nice looking models posted. Need to start getting mine painted and posted. 

It's not too late to join the challenge😉

See the initial post for what it means:

We're always happy to get more people joining us, regardless of skill or ambition😁

4ilChID.jpg

Cutting it a little close on this one, has been a busy month! Don't have much to show as most of my time (and the rest of my pledge) is contest related. Hopefully next month will have more models painted up or at least cooler models to paint (I have iconic dreamer sitting on the table and an iconic Titania on the way) but I do still have half an amazon team to finish too... well we will just have to wait and see I guess!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Hawkoon said:

@Diddick Well, yes. For the month you finish it, but I won't be finishing my entry in February. (So it will be part of my pledge for March.)

Just for clarity: As the competition has a deadline early March, and participation in Wyrd contests is encouraged, you're all free to count your entry for the February challenge even if you're not finished before March! (but onviously you can't count the same model twice!)

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Warpig said:

So I finished my entry for cast a spell contest. Can I still post it here for my February pledge or do I need to wait to post until after the 6th?

You can use it as your pledge for this month, just remember that until the contest is over you can't reveal which entry is yours. So at this point just saying you have an entry and it meets your pledge for this month is perfectly acceptable. 

• Agree 1

I'm afraid I got a little behind with my painting this month -  i was hoping to catch up at the start of this week, but real life stuff got in the way, and rather than rush things i thought I'd use my mulligan with a view to catch up in March. so that's the plan.

I'll be spending next month trying to blast through the basis of my Mei Feng crew , which will be Mei Feng, Foreman, a rail worker, the golem and the 3 gamin. i have everything else i need already finished. tournament at thestart of april so that is the motivation! I will also be coaching my eldest kid through painting his first malifaux crew - he's been begging me to get him some models for a while since we started playing henchman hardcore last year.

So lovely work from everyone this month - @Diddickabsolutely love your three amigos! Survivors are the best! Also i wanted to ask @Trimaselwhich brand of paints you use? your colours are super smooth and have a lovely finish whilst retaining vibrancy. Damian and Bella look great!

• Like 2