How many SS to waste...

Ricardo Pisa

It really does depend on the crew and your play style.

Some things to think about when you are saving soulstone. -

How many models can use the stones?

-If you have several soulstone users, then you are more likely to use soulstone than if you only have 1. 

What are you planning on using them for during the game?

-If you are aiming for adding a suit to a duel, and you expect to do that duel roughly 5 times in the game, then you probably want to think seriously about having 4 stones to get you that suit

How much do you value a good hand?

-There are crews/models that really need a certain card in their hand to work at their best, it might be you need that mask to get a model to leap, or something similar, but if that is vital to your plans, you are much more likely to spend stones on drawing/discarding cards in the draw phase. 

Play style matters, so I might find if I play Dr McMorning, I am primarily using him as a brawler in the thick of things, and so I need a few stones for damage prevention flips (or giving negatives to damage flips against him) to help him stay alive, but you might take the same list and use him more as a scalpel, killing lone models and largely not getting hit back, so that style would need a lot fewer stones to work. 

The easiest way to find out what works for you is probably to play the same list with 10 stones several times and see how many you often end the game with. If its 4 or 5 most of the time, you may well be able to spend them on another model for best effect, but it you are spending them all already, you probably don't  want to reduce it too much. 

Personally I get pretty uncomfortable in most crews if I go below 6. Soulstones are very useful. I rarely bring more than 8, but 8 isn't uncommon. It does vary of course, there are crews where I get away with 4 or 5, but it usually skews higher the more I expect to have soulstone users on the front line taking damage. Most of my crews use stone users as their front line, so I end up wanting a big cache.

• Like 1