Sayuri, how to use them?

Ozzac

Hello everybody, I'm quite excited to see the new versatiles for the 10T since the minis look cool, but i'm perplexed by their ability. 

All of them has some kind of ability that makes the enemy drop scheme markers, but they don't interact much with them, at least in a useful way.

Yes, Koji use them to protect the other sayuri, but the risk that I'm helping my opponent with some scheme it's too high for me.

What am I missing?

Koji draws cards off enemy scheme markers being dropped and can remove them to get a positive on his melee, Kara can get an attack from the gang warfare trigger by removing an enemy scheme marker and the Amai's can get blast markers from them on their ranged attack.

The card draw is probably the biggest thing, but you're probably picking them in a non-heavy-scheming pool, or when you can counteract it easily.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

The big synergy here is with keyword models that have Protection Money - Lotus Eaters, Crime Bosses, etc.

Those models also draw when enemy schemes come down.  

In fact, there's a playstyle developing that uses Shenlong and his Four Winds Punch to repeatedly drop Enemy scheme markers and draw a whole lot of cards.  Which Shenlong then uses to murder enemies.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Yea the the big one everyone seems to be talking about is with Shenlong, koji, multiple Lotus eaters and four winds punch to draw half your deck every turn.

Personally I really like the look of him in last blossom where I think the card draw will be really useful without being overly stupid. I plan to use koji, 2x crimeboss and a wokou raider with Misaki fractured.

Koji can shoot the wokou to drop a scheme marker and draw 3 cards, also moving the wokou 3". Also means that you have a scheme marker ready to gobble up to gain fast. The wokou is a good target for this- with bulletproof you will likely take no damage if cheating in a ram for Koji's attack.

Plus you can make sure you have an enemy scheme marker in place to ensure the crimeboss gets its extra attack when needed.

Far from game-breaking, but fun and useful in a keyword that has a fair few high TNs.

Also the menacing aura from hostile takeover could be useful when layered with shadow markers against shooting crews.

Looking forward to the box release!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I got my first game in with Sayuri the other day, which might not be saying much as it's my 2nd game in over a year. But notwithstanding:

• Misaki1
  • Shang
  • Koji
  • Kara
  • Amai
  • Wokou Raider x2
  • Katanaka Crime Boss
  • 6 Soulstones

vs. Leveticus1, Standard deployment, Carve a Path

My plan was to try 1 of everything that could possibly benefit just to see how it played out. Turn 1 was great. The Amai dropping an enemy scheme marker to trigger 3-4 abilities at the Start Phase was just pure fun. Giving the Wokou Raiders Fast helped in getting more actions to move the pillars across the board, and nearly my entire crew was at the halfway point holding back my opponent, in Turn 2, while Misaki cherry-picked her entry point. 

Kara is the one that I was least impressed with, because she failed her attacks and then died. That could have been more a function of the cards than her, though. Amai is soft, but has just enough unique abilities to make him annoying to deal with. Drop a Scheme marker with him early and just carry it to where you need it, which helps in getting past the 4" rule. I kept Koji further back and mostly used his guns and his Boryokudan (which you can't help but yell like Ryu does "Hadouken").

Since it has been so long since we played, we were on Turn 3 when the 2-hr time limit was up. His crew was in really rough shape with several losses, while I had just lost Kara and was generally in good shape, so I took the win. I also had 1 Strategy marker in his deployment zone and the other on the line ready to be moved. He had one Strategy marker on my table half and the other on the line, so I was ahead here as well.

Overall I am happy with it and would put it on the table, again. Because of the scenario, I wasn't able to ball up and get full synergy of all the abilities across every model. I'm not sure that it's necessary, but man is it fun triggering so many random abilities by doing something that normally would help your opponent. Also important, I kept forgetting to give myself Shielded +1 from the enemy scheme markers..., but that would not have saved Kara.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2023 at 5:50 PM, regleant said:

I got my first game in with Sayuri the other day, which might not be saying much as it's my 2nd game in over a year. But notwithstanding:

• Misaki1
  • Shang
  • Koji
  • Kara
  • Amai
  • Wokou Raider x2
  • Katanaka Crime Boss
  • 6 Soulstones

My plan was to try 1 of everything that could possibly benefit just to see how it played out. Turn 1 was great. The Amai dropping an enemy scheme marker to trigger 3-4 abilities at the Start Phase was just pure fun. Giving the Wokou Raiders Fast helped in getting more actions to move the pillars across the board, and nearly my entire crew was at the halfway point holding back my opponent, in Turn 2, while Misaki cherry-picked her entry point. 

Kara is the one that I was least impressed with, because she failed her attacks and then died. That could have been more a function of the cards than her, though. Amai is soft, but has just enough unique abilities to make him annoying to deal with. Drop a Scheme marker with him early and just carry it to where you need it, which helps in getting past the 4" rule. I kept Koji further back and mostly used his guns and his Boryokudan (which you can't help but yell like Ryu does "Hadouken").

Since it has been so long since we played, we were on Turn 3 when the 2-hr time limit was up. His crew was in really rough shape with several losses, while I had just lost Kara and was generally in good shape, so I took the win. I also had 1 Strategy marker in his deployment zone and the other on the line ready to be moved. He had one Strategy marker on my table half and the other on the line, so I was ahead here as well.

Overall I am happy with it and would put it on the table, again. Because of the scenario, I wasn't able to ball up and get full synergy of all the abilities across every model. I'm not sure that it's necessary, but man is it fun triggering so many random abilities by doing something that normally would help your opponent. Also important, I kept forgetting to give myself Shielded +1 from the enemy scheme markers..., but that would not have saved Kara.

the sad thing is that I think Koji and the Sayuri are fine with Misaki - as in, not broken like they are with Shenlong and they also fit thematically with her. Nerfing Koji will make them not worth looking at I suspect.

hostile takeover could be fun against some crews when paired with shadow markers to put a double negative on ranged attacks.

I'd like to get the box but will wait to see how heavily Koji get's reworked first i think..

On 1/21/2023 at 3:16 AM, Moinetbeard said:

Yea the the big one everyone seems to be talking about is with Shenlong, koji, multiple Lotus eaters and four winds punch to draw half your deck every turn.

Where are people talking about these things, as I don't see any other discussion here in the forums, nor in the FB group?

8 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Discord is extremely active.

Wyrd has a discord, and then the next biggest is probably the Malifaux World Series. 

And individual podcasts have a ton too.

Discord is very discordant, which can make these discussions quite hard to follow.  It is great for real time conversations, if you get other posters on at the same time.

• Agree 1

On 5/12/2023 at 10:50 AM, regleant said:

• Misaki1
  • Shang
  • Koji
  • Kara
  • Amai
  • Wokou Raider x2
  • Katanaka Crime Boss
  • 6 Soulstones

Really appreciate taking the time to write this up. I too was tempted by the Starter box - the enemy scheme marker play just seems fun with Misaki. Alas - too many models in the painting que, figured I would just wait until he hear about any errata or nerfs...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FoundryWorker said:

Really appreciate taking the time to write this up. I too was tempted by the Starter box - the enemy scheme marker play just seems fun with Misaki. Alas - too many models in the painting que, figured I would just wait until he hear about any errata or nerfs...

You should use my painting trick to speed things up.  Don't. 😇 (I know I know, many people play for the hobby aspect and visuals..)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, regleant said:

You should use my painting trick to speed things up.  Don't. 😇 (I know I know, many people play for the hobby aspect and visuals..)

Best way to get max value from the cost of the miniatures is to paint AND game with them. I understand painting isn't for everyone as well, but the creativity and comradery created from it is a really nice aspect of the hobby. I hope you do consider painting them one day!