Malifaux Painting Challenge 2023

Hawkoon

Hello fellow Wyrdos!

Keeping the tradition rolling, I (or possibly we?) want to invite you yet again to another year of monthly painting challenges through 2023, starting 1'st of January, 2023.

As the year before, and the year before that, and the year before that... the idea of the challenge is as follows:

1. Having fun painting!
  2. Motivating yourself, and encouraging others.
  3. Being part of a great, friendly community.
  4. Giving and receiving constructive advice. And, finally:
  5. Getting some pigment onto plastic!

This is NOT a competition, but a way of collective motivation, encouragement and hopefully building some new friendships along the way.

Everyone is welcome regardless of skill or capasity!

To make it an actual challenge (against your own inner demons, timeschedule, lazyness, burn-out or whatever is holding you back), we do have some rules:

THE RULES

• The challenge starts on January 1st, 2023.
  • Models count for the month in which you finish them. You can finish painting a model that you started before the beginning of the month (or one that has been on your Shelf of Shame since 2013, really).
  • A miniature is considered pledged when you have uploaded a photo (preferably lots of them!) to the Challenge Thread for each month, declared your final SS count for the month, and submitted your SS totals on this FORM.
  • You no longer need to @ the hosts! Just go back to the first post of each month, find the FORM, and submit your totals. Try to wait to submit totals until you are FINISHED for the month! It is best if you submit the form once a month.
  • That said, we all sometimes THINK we’re done and get an extra model in here and there. It’s fine if that happens, it will just make reading your stats a bit harder on the sheet 😊
  • If you’re not sure of the points value (scenery tends to be the most challenging one), then your estimate is all we need. If it’s good enough for you, it’s good enough for us!

THE PLEDGE

The pledge categories are the following:

• Tyrant: you paint at least 21 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Master: you paint at least 16 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Henchman: you paint at least 11 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Enforcer: you paint at least 6 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Minion: you paint at least 1 Soulstone worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Totem: you have maintained an average of a contribution per month

ODD VALUES

Malifaux

• Almost all models count as their Soulstone value; but
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones.
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones.
  • Proxies count for their proxy value.
  • Large iconic models counts for 25 soulstones

The Other Side

• Titans count for 25 soulstones.
  • Commanders count for 15 soulstones.
  • Adjunct models count for 5 soulstones.

Other Wyrd miniatures:

• A 30mm base model is worth 5 soulstones.
  • A 40mm base model is worth 7 soulstones.
  • A 50mm base model is worth 10 soulstones.
  • Markers count for 2 soulstones if they're flat, or 5 soulstones if they're 3D and fancy.

Terrain

• Scatter Piece (5SS): A modest piece of terrain, or a small number of scattered terrain pieces. These are the spray-can and dry-brush pieces.
  • Focus Piece (10SS): A terrain piece that represents a focal point of pride in a terrain board. These pieces require a decent amount of construction and painting.
  • Centre Piece (20SS): A terrain piece that is a significant centrepiece to the terrain. A handmade forest, a mausoleum, or a train engine.
  • Masterpiece (50SS): A gorgeous, unique terrain piece that makes people wonder if you get out much.
  • War and Peace (100SS): A complete, themed 3’x3’ terrain board.

MEETING YOUR PLEDGE

Life gets busy. We get that. We’d all like to think the Challenge rewards those who keep their brushes damp. If you don’t meet your pledge, the process goes:

1. Mulligan; then
  2. Buy Back; then
  3. You’re outta there!

The first time that you do not make your pledge for the month, then you have used your mulligan for the year.

The second time that you do not make your pledge for the month, will need to make it up the following month, by meeting the pledge for the current month, and the month you missed. If you do that, then you’re considered to have met the pledge for the missed month.

The third time that you do not make your pledge for the month, then you are out of the Challenge, but you are always, always welcome to give feedback and support to your fellow painters!

If you submit miniature(s), but don’t meet your pledge, then you will be moved to a pledge level that keeps you in the Challenge

THE FAQ

Where do I actually pledge?

On this PLEDGE FORM.

The link to the pledge sheet will be in the post that follows.

You should also introduce yourself, tell everyone your pledge level, and perhaps your painting plans for the year in this thread. Follow it as well! 

What happens if I start in February or March?

If you join in February or March, you still need to fill out the PLEDGE FORM, but introduce yourself in the month you start.

You could use your mulligan / buy-back and still be in the Challenge.

What happens if I start after March?

If you later in the year, then you should introduce yourself in the thread for the month in which you start, and fill out the PLEDGE FORM.

In this circumstance, you won’t be considered to have met the 2023 Challenge, BUT you can have considered yourself as having maintained a number of month’s worth of a pledge level, so you can launch into 2024 with some momentum!

What is a painted miniature?

A model is considered painted if it is:

• Based (even glued onto a black base counts); and
  • Tournament legal.

That means that if it's a translucent, based model, it counts automatically. If it is any opaque material, then the standard is: Every part of the miniature painted, and three colours minimum.

Can I do it all in one go?

No. While it would be fantastic for you to paint 252 miniatures in January, and then declare yourself as complete for the year, the intent is for you to paint, relax, and enjoy. It’s a long-distance event, not a sprint.

Can I show you my non-Wyrd miniatures?

Sure, every miniature is welcome! They don’t have a Soulstone value for completing the Challenge, but we are a richer community for seeing how your painting passions have inspired you!

Where are the points values available for me to see?

The spreadsheet for the monthly totals is HERE and will be posted in the link that follows as well.

I guess that's it from me, but I'd like to thank @Shock & Awe and @Gheist for their contribution to the cause so far, and I'm honoured to follow in their footsteps as the host for this years challenge.

I hope to see many new and old friends joining in on this years challenge when we kick it up in January!

(Oh... and don't stop painitng just because it's still 2022!)

Edited by Hawkoon
Updated the soulstone count for large iconic models
  • Thanks 1

I'll probably be tossing my hat into the ring again, the challenge has really kept me motivated and painting for the whole of 2022. Something to add onto the points list regarding The Other Side models is that it was (I believe) agreed upon that the points value of a unit is then per model (so for a 4 point squad, you get 4 points per model of that squad you paint).

Still have some stuff to post for December and depending on how quickly I run out of wyrd models in 2023 I may end up painting up a load of terrain that I've had sitting around.

• Like 1

I will definitely be getting in on this! I've enjoyed it this year, i've painted more models than I ever have before (almost 3 whole keywords!) and my painting has improved. I hope this year to participate in some of the competitions, if only to have a project to really push myself on rather than just speed painting everything.

I was thinking I could volunteer to contribute some time to keeping this thread going with @Shock & Awe and @Gheist departure (once again thank you both for 2022) as it would have been a sad thing to see it disappear. Thank you @Hawkoon for stepping up and if you need some help to run things, please let me know - I am happy to contribute as much as I can.

• Thanks 2

Caedrus, Pledging in!

First of all, I'd like to recognise and thank @Hawkoon for taking up guardianship of the Challenge, just as I thank @Shock & Awe and @Gheist for their brilliant work in 2022.

I'll be back in 2023, pledging at Tyrant. As always, I look forward to being part of this exceptional community!

Have a great end-of-year celebration and relax, everyone!

Caedrus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I managed to complete the 2022 challenge, with some grifting of easy models at times.  I did finish off my Oni Keyword (still need to flock bases... maybe this weekend) as part of this challenge so I figure I'll challenge myself to do this again, though at the same enforcer level.  I've started on the Honeypot & Foundry keywords as fillers while working on the Oni keyword, so those might be my focus until Story/Red Library comes out.

I've got an airbrush now, so hopefully my primer layers are cleaner and that helps to get overall better results. A lot of what I've painted this last year and in my failed 2021 attempt were rattle can primed models that had accumulated layers of dust on top...  Maybe I'll also learn some new techniques beyond my slop on constrast paints.

In anycase this helped with the backlog, so it's worth giving a shot.

• Like 1