Resurrecting Resurrectionists

Aeschere

Hello all,

When Covid hit, I put away my models and didn't look at them until now. The playgroup is organizing a get back event and I would like to join with Resurrectionists once again. But I have no idea where to start, what the current state of the game is and which keyword is worth playing. 

Before Covid I was an avid Molly player, I just started with Albus when he got nerfed and Covid put a stop to it all together. 

I am currently re-reading the rulebook, trying to make sense of it once again. I have totally missed out on Gaining Grounds Season 3 and I don't have the Malifaux Burns and Madness of Malifaux books, I am not even sure if those are worth it for Resurrectionists.

So, what is viable? Which keywords handle the current GG season well and which keywords are better left in the back of the cupboard?
Painting was never my strong point and every crew is a gray canvas. So picking whatever is painted isn't a limitation. 

Thanks in advance!

How competitive is your meta?  If it isn't super cutthroat, then all resser masters have something to offer.

Molly is better using a wide range of models in her crew adapting to situations, so I'd start with von Schtook. He has been nerfed but the crew is still strong.

They have a lot of tools for GG3, and WI be a nice reintroduction to the game as you learn about Malifaux Burns. This was a complete game changer of an expansion as every master now has two titles (completely different Stat cards).

So I'd say get some warm up games in, then find out about Von Schtooks title (which is pretty strong).

Molly is super fun but more challenging and requires more knowledge of your opponents crew IMO.

12 hours ago, Aeschere said:

Hello all,

When Covid hit, I put away my models and didn't look at them until now. The playgroup is organizing a get back event and I would like to join with Resurrectionists once again. But I have no idea where to start, what the current state of the game is and which keyword is worth playing. 

Before Covid I was an avid Molly player, I just started with Albus when he got nerfed and Covid put a stop to it all together. 

I am currently re-reading the rulebook, trying to make sense of it once again. I have totally missed out on Gaining Grounds Season 3 and I don't have the Malifaux Burns and Madness of Malifaux books, I am not even sure if those are worth it for Resurrectionists.

So, what is viable? Which keywords handle the current GG season well and which keywords are better left in the back of the cupboard?
Painting was never my strong point and every crew is a gray canvas. So picking whatever is painted isn't a limitation. 

Thanks in advance!

molly now plays bad

schtook1, reva2, both seamus, kirai2, morning2 now plays very well

Thank you for those answers. It looks like Schtook is the current top tier master. 

@Maniacal_cacklehow would you rate the current master list? I have access to all the masters and I am curious to hear how they rank. 

My meta is usually quite competitive. We aim for relaxed tournament play. So high performing lists, focus on winning but with an open mindset where we understand that mistakes can be made. 

10 hours ago, Aeschere said:

Thank you for those answers. It looks like Schtook is the current top tier master. 

@Maniacal_cacklehow would you rate the current master list? I have access to all the masters and I am curious to hear how they rank. 

My meta is usually quite competitive. We aim for relaxed tournament play. So high performing lists, focus on winning but with an open mindset where we understand that mistakes can be made. 

I don't think tier lists apply well to Malifaux, so that's tricky to answer. I also rate masters as a package (so Yan lo 1 and 2 are still just one master for me).

There's also a rumor of an imminent errata circling due to some cards appearing online.

I'm also not an expert on all the reseer masters, but...

Yan lo is busted IMO. He is very difficult to play, but for me he is one of the top five masters in the game. I'm basically soloing him atm and am in the Finals of the World Series with him. Archie and Valedictorian unlock his full power.

Von Schtook has a very powerful keyword. I hear people say he is very solid, but after the nerfs I don't think he'd be in the top 10 masters of the game.

McMourning - most people think he is weak, but apparently Plaags meta has some success with him. I feel like if I sat down and played 20 games with him I'd get very good with him.

Molly - my most played master this edition.  The things she does well have been a bit power crept, so she is just outclassed now.  Still a powerful option, but you basically have to ignore her keyword except Archie and crooligans.  One of the most flexible list builders in the game.

Reva - opinions range from garbage to OP.  I think she is very strong with some notable weaknesses on both titles, but can be overcome.

Jack Daw - super broken if opponents don't know what's coming, but falls off a bit at top tiers.  Solidly strong.

Seamus - I feel like he struggles with some weaknesses he can't overcome (super card dependent with few tools to improve his hand), but solid.

Kirai - ugh I hate playing her cuz so many models to manage.  People say she is broken but she doesn't dominate tournaments. Often leads to one sided games IMO.

Overall Ressers don't have any terrible masters.   Molly is probably bottom of the list for most players, but she is my second best master in the faction for my style.  She struggles with GG3 though. Very challenging pools for her are common.

Note that Plaags meta is one of the best in the world IMO.  I don't always fully adopt his advice, but always worth at least examining his claims.

Thanks for that reply, that really helps to put things in perspective and make a decision on where to start.

@Plaag Where are you based? Your name would suggest you are also Dutch or perhaps Flemish but it seems you are based somewhere else?

I should really look into the tournament results again to get a feel for what is currently happening in the Malifaux scene. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction :) 

1 hour ago, Aeschere said:

Thanks for that reply, that really helps to put things in perspective and make a decision on where to start.

@Plaag Where are you based? Your name would suggest you are also Dutch or perhaps Flemish but it seems you are based somewhere else?

I should really look into the tournament results again to get a feel for what is currently happening in the Malifaux scene. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction :) 

im in russia

we can play vassal games if u like