Expert Getaway and Draw Essence

TimH

Question

So, Madness of Malifaux is out and without naming specific models or posting pictures of unrevealed content there are some questions I have about two abilities.

The first is Expert Getaway (previously seen on Desper LaRaux). "This model may ignore terrain and models while moving". Now my immediate confusion was that in principle this ability works almost identically to flight so why not give the model that has this rule flight instead (the model I'm looking at does have wings, it is not Desper) with the major differences being that flight is a placement effect while getaway is still a move, and that getaway can be used as part of any move while flight is exclusively charges and walks. Is there anything I'm missing here? The name implies it might allow you free disengages but looking at the rules i can't see anything to support that as you aren't allowed to eben take the walk action while stuck in engagement. Have i got the details on this one correct?

Next is an ability called "Power the Engine" but for the sake of this topic I'm using Draw Essence instead as the wording on the two is identical (at least in the relevant areas). The model throws out a damaging pulse and then "For each other model damaged by this Action, this model Heals 1". Now the question on this one is whether or not this is multiple heals of 1 or a single combined heal. So if you peform the action and damage 3 models for 1 damage would you then heal 3, or heal 3 instances of 1. This is very relevant to the model in question.

4 answers to this question

For the first question it is very similar to flight, but the Desper doesn't have wings, so they probably didn't want to use it. It is slightly different, but not much. The disengage thing is answered in the FAQ Section 2:

• Can a model that “ignores other models” when moving leave an enemy model’s engagement range using the Walk Action? a) No. Ignoring other models only allows a model to move through other models, it does not ignore other aspects of those models, such as engagement range.

For the second one, I'll let others pipe in as I'm not sure off the top of my head.  

• Like 1

There are a few important differences between expert getaway and flight, even if most of the time you get the same end result.  

Falling damage, walking through engagement ranges, up we go and gravity well are a few examples of things that have different outcomes based on the 2 ability.  

As to why 1 model gets one and not another, who knows. It could be theme, power levels, various interactions that were considered during development  even if they didn't make the final cut( made to killi is much stronger on flight, but out if activation movement is better with expert getaway)

Neither ability allows you to leave an engagement range during a walk action, although you can take a walk action to reposition within the engagement range if you want.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TimH said:

Next is an ability called "Power the Engine" but for the sake of this topic I'm using Draw Essence instead as the wording on the two is identical (at least in the relevant areas). The model throws out a damaging pulse and then "For each other model damaged by this Action, this model Heals 1". Now the question on this one is whether or not this is multiple heals of 1 or a single combined heal. So if you peform the action and damage 3 models for 1 damage would you then heal 3, or heal 3 instances of 1. This is very relevant to the model in question.

If the heal was part of the effect causing the duels, then you would have a separate heal for each enemy model the effect resolves on. As is, the heal is a separate effect (resolved after all the duels) and is singularly resolved on "this model". How much the model will heal is calculated during the "determine amount to be healed" step.

• Thanks 1