2022 Monthly Painting Challenge - December

Gheist

Hello everybody ! It's the end of the Year! We made it!

Important Announcement: As my Chefsupermainhost is leaving the scene, i also decided it's time to scram. No seriously i got other fish to fry and i rather participate for the next year than host. So you all have a month to step up and take over the challenge, it's doable and most of the Work has been done by @Shock & Awe anyway ;) so i am looking forward to nearly everyone volunteering.

I'll be cleaning house and tallying Soulsstone counts and so on, i thought about doing a Montage of this years works but i dunno if i have the time right now. Also getting a badge for completing would be nice, but these seem to be reserved for official business.

Anyhow, i expect you all will try to do your best to squeeze in some paintjobs next to the Madness that's december.

As for Masterclass: Do you manage to get gifts for your hobby from other people? How do you do it? indulge my curiosity :D

As for Pledge, I Pledge ZIPP and Crew and whatever i get done over the Holidays. Have good one everybody!

• Like 2

Gifts from other people for hobby related business is very much a wishlist job for me I'm afraid. Sure it takes most of the surprise out of it but given how easy it would be for someone to buy models you already have/don't need/from a completely different system or tools that aren't really what you are after it feels something of a necessity. Of course if you make sure you have more hobby related stuff on a wishlist than you are likely to ever recieve that does allow for a degree of a surprise when getting gifts as while you will likely be getting hobby stuff you cannot be sure which bits it will be!

Still have some November pics to post in the last topic but for December I will be painting.... something. Not sure yet! I have a 3rd autumn knight who needs finishing so she's prolly going to be done pretty quick. Then I also have bits and pieces from Chimera, Swampfiend and Fae that all want doing.

This dude almost snuck into November, but here he is for December.
I’ll try and do the other two this month, too. 
for pressies I’ll happily chuck a massive list at my family and gratefully receive anything hobby related..there’s always so much I want! That, drawing stuff and books. I’m the easiest person in my family to buy for. If only the rest of them had so absorbing a hobby…

943CA35A-885C-4989-A3EC-2A8DC3B400A9.jpeg

52F3CCC8-A6EC-498C-AA0B-38B005CE3AAE.jpeg

• Like 6

On 11/28/2022 at 9:42 AM, Gheist said:

As for Masterclass: Do you manage to get gifts for your hobby from other people? How do you do it? indulge my curiosity :D

Well, if buying things myself, wrapping them in Christmas paper and placing them under the christmas tree as a gift from Santa counts, then yes - I did receive a number of hobby gifts ;)

Two more Titanias from me for now :)30soulstones, more to come!

painters-challenge-december-2022-01.jpg

• Like 7

@wobbly_goggy - very nice, clean paintjob, the blue jacket makes him look royal ;)

@Moinetbeard - this is essentially a mini-diorama. Don't know how practical it will be in game, but from aesthetic standpoint it looks absolutely amazing :)

And two more from me, bringing me to a total of 60 soulstones :)

painters-challenge-december-2022-2.jpg

Really hoping there are some volunteers to pick things up in 2023. Many thanks to @Shock & Awe and @Gheist for keeping it going this year!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Moinetbeard said:

I have finished Mech Porkchop, finally! I'm going to have to paint something else a little quicker if I'm going to meet the final month's pledge!

Happy with this one though. Its my first attempt at a NMM effect.

large.1571723142_20221218_2217241.jpg.28fd70709a344a101a521923870ce06a.jpglarge.181374129_20221218_2217381.jpg.9e3f58127057244640abcfb6cdf128d4.jpglarge.1569434067_20221218_2217501.jpg.66d58cffacdf07eea61748de180e0eaa.jpglarge.1665318759_20221218_2218031.jpg.6261e5c5d92bd66a1dff19659eef58af.jpg

This is so EPIC on so many levels, i love the overkill base, and the crispiness of the NMM is amazing 👏. Excelent job!!!

On my side This month (meaning this week...) I'll work on the metal golem, i will stick to the TMM scheme i planned to use for the foundry minis, but seeing how well this mekanized porkchop looks in NMM i'm starting to regret it XD.

As per the masterclass, i got the lucas pina "7 dwarves" bust and a set of brushes in different occasions from my wife (after asking specifically for it 😬)
And some years ago still M2E my parents asked me If there was sth i wanted for xmas and the only thing that came to my mind was a couple of small mali boxes, so that was their gift, can't remember if my mom went to the shop, or she sent my sister (with the picture of the box so they didn't mess up of course), but anyway, by the time i was in my late 30s and tbh, it felt weird to be gifted "toys" from my parents. But hey, plastic >>> socks, right? 😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2022 at 1:39 PM, Diddick said:

This is so EPIC on so many levels, i love the overkill base, and the crispiness of the NMM is amazing 👏. Excelent job!!!

On my side This month (meaning this week...) I'll work on the metal golem, i will stick to the TMM scheme i planned to use for the foundry minis, but seeing how well this mekanized porkchop looks in NMM i'm starting to regret it XD.

As per the masterclass, i got the lucas pina "7 dwarves" bust and a set of brushes in different occasions from my wife (after asking specifically for it 😬)
And some years ago still M2E my parents asked me If there was sth i wanted for xmas and the only thing that came to my mind was a couple of small mali boxes, so that was their gift, can't remember if my mom went to the shop, or she sent my sister (with the picture of the box so they didn't mess up of course), but anyway, by the time i was in my late 30s and tbh, it felt weird to be gifted "toys" from my parents. But hey, plastic >>> socks, right? 😂

Haha, thanks dude, actually seeing your lovely, lovely Gamin last month was the motivation I needed to push on with starting this project, I have about half the crew built so far, including these ridiculous bases. Next up is the totem I think, so a bit less NMM but lots of fire and OSL to practice! Looking forward to seeing your Golem! I should be working on my own next month!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, there we go!  Here's the big guy, kept the schema, and I must say that while I feel kinda guilty for not trying a more elaborate paintjob, i find the ratio of end result/speed very satisfying.

zY5VLWw.jpeg

uNxQ6iQ.jpeg

The vibe I'll go with the crew is "hard workers who had enough" so a dirty, soot heavy paintjob is to expect.

So this will be the last Mali mini of the year, more foundry to come on the next months.

Happy holidays everyone!  ❤️❤️❤️

• Like 9

@Diddick I absolutely love that Golem, the colour scheme is dark and brooding and he looks very threatening! I can't wait to get started on mine- will be February I think.

For now I have two more models from my Tricksy crew: big brain brin and little lass. I had great fun painting these, especially the bases.

large.735887284_20221226_2348461.jpg.1b0fdc5dc77a0e3ac6a94f61fb7c93de.jpglarge.2006247992_20221226_2347561.jpg.8b7bcc66cee3aaa6e67ed222cfaa9597.jpg

and here is my Tricksy crew so far

large.1290659773_20221226_2354161.jpg.eabaa745e452c5aca0a09b4370ec443e.jpg

i have Mei Feng's totem, the Forgeling almost complete to round off december and then I'll start thinking about next month, which I think will be Sparks and some survivors.

Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas!

• Like 7

Caedrus, reporting in the for the my last post of 2022!

Dear Friends,

I hope you are having a wonderful, relaxed, fun end of year. For December, I thought I would give a quick update on my pledge, and then show you the crews I painted this year!

In December, I finished 2 Cat Herders (12SS), 3 Ailuromaniacs (3 SS), 7 more cats (14SS), 3 Union Miners (15SS), Fitzsimmons (8SS), and 2 Saboteurs (10SS), so 62SS in total. Rather than show you the individual shots, I have done a few groups photos. Whenever I paint a crew, I try to do so with a uniting theme (normally base texture and a dominant and complementary colour), so as to unite the crews. Let me know what you think!

AMALGAM

do6wUIT.jpg

BANDIT

x9WBFsM.jpg

PLAGUE

GJgNEJz.jpg

WILDFIRE

amgrWRW.jpg

M&SU

KpoaSkH.jpg

I've learned a lot over 2022, and even now, I look at these guys and think "Yeah, I need to touch that up", etc.

Maybe I will - one day - but for the moment, the shelves of grey plastic call to me, and ask to be primed and painted.

More importantly, however, I had lots of fun, painting mine, and looking at all your amazing work, and I hope you will all join in again next year!

Stay well, take care, keep painting!

Caedrus.

• Like 9

Posting in with my last models of 2022

EFRiw78.jpg

Ended up opting to paint up the bulk of the Lucius Keywords, with this lot done all that's left is a pair of False Witnesses and White Eyes when he comes out.

The decision to go with Lucius was spurred by a desire to play Lucius2 after seeing him used in a Hidden Breach Battlereport, looking forward to getting these guys onto a table in the new year.

And with that I shall be done until 2023!

• Like 6

@Caedrus all of those crews are lovely. You have such a distinct and vibrant style and to paint so many models to such a stand is amazing.

@TimH your Lucius crew looks great- i am planning to paint up the same keyword later in the year- I also love the look of lucius 2, he's literally a monster!

@Cats Laughing Nice work on Tannen, very neat. Cool idea to use colourshift paints to represent brilliance. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the crew.

@Trimasel I particularly like the Lyssas, the purple on them is really lovely.

To round out the year my final model is the forgeling. I may revisit this model at some point when I've had a bit more practice with yellow, but for now calling I done. I'm particularly happy with the coals on the back of the model, of which i sculpted extra trailing behind.

large.590458023_20221229_2239441.jpg.acf3144a81a700f411c7ab329df6cc0c.jpglarge.20221229_224127.jpg.2fd570a03c792af283233052acd6c0ab.jpg

I absolutely needed a challenge like this to get me back into painting this year after several years of having lost my motivation. Im very much looking forward to starting again next year!

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Moinetbeard said:

I absolutely needed a challenge like this to get me back into painting this year after several years of having lost my motivation. Im very much looking forward to starting again next year!

I know that feeling! I've had the entire gibbering hordes army sitting unpainted since the initial kickstarter and the challenge really kept me mptivated to have them all painted in the first few months of the year. Then off of that i've been jumping from crew to crew really slimming down my pile of shame. There are cenet odds that I end up painting smaller numbers of faux models this year coming just to hit the target but that's going to be down to having some bloodbowl and KDM to paint as well.

• Like 3

Yeah that challenge is really helping out

I didn't fully get my keyword done this month, but then it's only Gracie and Title Zipp left for January.

uZoVE5f.jpg

Overall fun Crew to paint and play, don't feel like making more pictures now, maybe tomorrow. Have a safe Trip to 2023! See you there and then and i'll do the tallying up in january and keep you informed in the new Post

• Like 6