2022 Monthly Painting Challenge - November

Shock & Awe

We are in the home stretch, with only two months of acrylic slathering to go before 2023 is upon us. 

This is also my last month of hosting duties for this year's challenge. 

It has been a great experience supporting this challenge. Since I first found this painting challenge way back in 2017, I have to say it has been a incredible source of inspiration to keep working on my paint game. 

That said, due to life and my mounting responsibilities, I will unfortunately have to step down as co-host for 2023. As I said at the start of the year, I'm getting toward the end of my doctoral program and this coming year I need to focus on my dissertation, so I have a feeling my hobby life is going to take the brunt of the hit in terms of 'things I do not have time for'. 

I really appreciate all the feedback, interaction, and overall positive vibes of this whole community. Thank you all for being awesome and giving me a lot to strive for in terms of upping my painting skills. 

I will still be around, though likely more sporadically, so I hope to still participate next year. 

Now, without further ado.... onto November's shenanigans...

If you are new to the challenge and what to know the ins and outs - Everything you need to know for the Challenge is right HERE.

For all our regular contributors, make sure you've submitted your SS counts for the previous months in the Google Form. 

For our Masterclass topic: 

Black Friday

This is a bit random, but I'm curious... so I thought I would ask. November always brings about the ever awesome Black Friday sale where we can finally get our hands on all the limited edition stuff. So, I'm curious, do any of you have a wish list for this coming Black Friday? Do you often make big orders during Black Friday? What are we looking to add to the ever exploding shelf of shame!

The Pledge Form

CLICK HERE!

The Pledge Spreadsheet

CLICK HERE!

The Monthly Soulstone Reporting Form

CLICK HERE!

The Soulstone Tabulation Spreadsheet

CLICK HERE!

That's it from me for the year ladies and gentlemen! Have a great November, and, in the words of the great sage Ninjon, 'Let's Slay the Grey!'

- Shock & Awe

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As if one competition wasn't enough, I'm determined to enter another competition ( http://www.shatteredbrush.com) with deadline nov. 30'th. This is not a secret competition, so I can safely say I'll be painting Titania, the Autumn Queen this month.

large.20221024_191358.jpg.45024e4eb8a0c3

Black friday:

Living in the faraway kingdom of Norway, ordering from Wyrd's webshop is usually not the best way to make great deals due to shipping and customs. However, as some limited models are only availiable this way, we sometimes get some locals together to place one big order. This year there are some stuff I would really like to get. That includes fishy-nephilim, dragon-Iggy, and non-robotic-riotbreakers.

• Like 1

This month I managed to pick up a wicked witch rotten harvest Pandora for a reasonable price off of ebay and have also managed to acquire rotten harvest zoraida and the wisps. So this month for black friday I'm going to be looking to snag myself the rotten harvest alt Cand and Kade. Other than that i typically use black friday as an opportunity to look for any 2E singles that fill out 3E boxes where I already own some of the models (Gwyneth Maddox comes to mind for this year as I already have the beckoners from back in 1E). Then other than that I may go for the Silent Knight and the alt Barbaros to have a more thematicly appropriate Killjoy for my Fae and a frsh Barbaros to paint up in line with whatever scheme I opt to go with for Kastore when he comes out. As with Hawkoon though I don't typically grab any current boxes over black friday due to shipping and customs (though if some early release copies of the new iconics are in there...)

• Like 2

Caedrus, reporting in!

For the month of November, I have some Steamfitters, some Union Miners and Miss Step, ready for priming!

inbofeP.jpg

@Shock & Awe, thanks for everything you've done this year. From someone who has lived through the Sisyphean process of a PhD: My absolute best. Go kick that dissertation's ass.

Have a great November, everyone!

Caedrus.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My plans for the month are to finish off Titania 2 and to paint up some models I printed with my 3D printer as proxies for the Waldgeists. I actually did this because I wanted Zoraida and Titania to have different 'forms' of the models because I felt like their overall themes felt too distinct to paint one set of models that could fit both... so I found these mushroom monster things and was instantly in love. However..... after staring at them for a long time, I realized that they are more thematically fit for Zoraida, thus, I will have to reclaim the originals for Titania and these will be Zoraida's I think. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ea919ac7714b94240b8bedeeaeadbef3.jpeg

Almost forgot!

Black Friday - Well, I have actually gone bananas in years past (despite the insane shipping costs) and bought up most of the alts and nightmare boxes I really wanted. 

The only Neverborn thing left for my four masters (Pandora, Titania, Nekima, and Zoraida) that I don't have is the Rotten Harvest version of Kade and Candy, so I might grab that, along with dragon costume Iggy.

The faction I'm moving onto after that is Ressers and I've chosen Molly, Seamus, Kirai, and the Doc as the thematic masters I like most (and I've had Molly's amazing pirate box sitting on my shelf staring at me for years... but I'm still too intimidated to paint it because I want it to be perfect) 

That said, I want to get the He-kome, the female alt. version of Doc McMourning, and the alt. Rafkin. 

I will also have to see if they come up with another "spend all your money and get a free model" model's that catch my fancy.

This month I bought some gremlin criers to fill a gap in the Bayou faction and see me through to the end of the year with the challenge . Not really fussed about Black Friday in general unless I can get something I already want for cheap. I have a quite a few ltd edition models already from tournaments/ raffles, gifts from friends, GenCon etc. I love some of the Alt crews, but that’s a step t lo far for my wallet/competing with other hobbies right now.

Amazing work all year by the way @Shock & Awe , thanks for organising the challenge and helping me completely clear my Malifaux backlog this year!

• Like 1

Yep GJ @Shock & Awe,

so i will join you saying it was a pleasure, it is always really great to see all the pictures of everyone and be part of the process organizing this.

I would like to pass on the torch as well because i am swamped in hobby related work. If nobody steps up i will emergency do this until somebody does step up or i just decide that i do not. If we do it with two people i would continue being host as well.

have a great November I need to get some Minis in for next tournament

• Thanks 1

So my painting has been very erratic already this month. Having planned to paint up some Chimera I instead decided to paint up Swampfiends as I want to run Zoraida but her list has changed drastically since 2E. First mate was first on the painting pile as apparently he is something of a must take, followed by painting up Grootslang.

RHb9oeV.jpgPeZhuen.jpg

I was then going to move on to Bokors and McTavish but local post seems to have screwed me so I instead moved on to get some Fae into a playable state.

TE6LDfL.jpgSR5ZbYd.jpg

Yes this does mean there are 3 painters in this group who are submitting Autumn Queens this month.

Then to round out the month so far I also opted to go with something seasonal and relevant to the weeks topic.

gpC8UiJ.jpg

Last years Waldo, all painted up. Very happy with how he has come out, especially as I haven't really done glass or bottles much before.

• Like 9

As first part of November paintings i finished Sandeep’s band for a friend and tried to make better photos of it. Lots of gamins, fire golem (ohh, don’t like this dude as mini to paint), oxfordian mages and Kandara. Thing that makes me sad - I have my own Sandeep keyword painted and it was long time ago so the look not as cool as new one 😅large.88615AD1-E68D-4B05-8089-43FDF5880688.jpeg.7c0fbce2ffda8fcda9f4d8672a458b47.jpeglarge.01AD0A10-6498-4C77-800A-0A152D42C809.jpeg.aaea937c507e7855223cf47d1bed934a.jpeglarge.A5AE1AB5-E72C-45A0-A95F-9E0BD67C7212.jpeg.53a1fb5ec5efd93d4ce5cfbda27fad8c.jpeglarge.90E3BE1F-4FC7-4EF6-9C5F-1CB4CAFCEB52.jpeg.6db91515ad59ae5558786c01afa5dc46.jpeglarge.A44EA886-B9D9-4BC1-9767-FDADCF71CB7A.jpeg.60927e092eb168da83b93d0b4c337461.jpeglarge.485D713E-BE59-4F8E-B7B8-D5E40D888435.jpeg.48017360806e3276cbfccc2da0449ef8.jpeglarge.BA006815-8427-4A0A-B96B-2267CB27CC6F.jpeg.2ccbb3f49664e5e8a79f6991eb5c2cb0.jpeglarge.24CD3ACB-CB92-4AD7-BFB1-7C9B859258A4.jpeg.dbdd6996929966df043a9648620b2e8b.jpeg

• Like 9

Like alot of people it seems, I've spent alot of time this month prepping for a tournament- for me its UK nationals. I've been trying to get the models I might use ready.

So here are a couple of versatiles and some models to flesh out Yan Lo's keyword.

large.1617173571_20221106_2253311.jpg.95ac9f614947911e01c0c84f739ad182.jpglarge.20221117_221434.jpg.106d29810380ac3a9ef148bacee4f6b9.jpglarge.20221117_220957.jpg.cbc83baeaf54613e0394e48c2e2e707f.jpglarge.20221117_221348.jpg.512b28e173e7bf3225edb15a7f85c4f1.jpglarge.20221117_221326.jpg.f17944a24c9e2d219efd9a6645d0d87d.jpglarge.20221117_221258.jpg.779986eea0683bc51f9bdc84a6f3ebe0.jpg

Thank you @Shock & Awe for hosting duties and good luck with your dissertation!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

This Black Friday I am hoping to get Alt Barbaros as I don't like the original mini. I ha the old version and run it with Titania in M2E but sold it at some point, seeing no play. Now with the new keyword I think I may need it again. As for the practical side, we generally make a larger order within our meta and share the shipping / vat etc. costs among bigger group.

My November has been pretty busy so far and looks like I may stop here for now as I have some non-Malifaux stuff waiting too. 66 soulstones isn't bad anyway I reckon ;)

painters-challenge-november2022-01.jpg
painters-challenge-november2022-02.jpg
painters-challenge-november2022-03.jpg
painters-challenge-november2022-04.jpg
painters-challenge-november2022-05.jpg
painters-challenge-november2022-06.jpg

• Like 7

On 11/19/2022 at 9:30 PM, Viruk said:

This Black Friday I am hoping to get Alt Barbaros as I don't like the original mini. I ha the old version and run it with Titania in M2E but sold it at some point, seeing no play. Now with the new keyword I think I may need it again. As for the practical side, we generally make a larger order within our meta and share the shipping / vat etc. costs among bigger group.

My November has been pretty busy so far and looks like I may stop here for now as I have some non-Malifaux stuff waiting too. 66 soulstones isn't bad anyway I reckon ;)

painters-challenge-november2022-01.jpg
painters-challenge-november2022-02.jpg
painters-challenge-november2022-03.jpg
painters-challenge-november2022-04.jpg
painters-challenge-november2022-05.jpg
painters-challenge-november2022-06.jpg

How did you do Mc Cabes Shirt?

Hi there!  Today i finished the metal gamins (for 10ss)

apkgFyu.jpeg

I m not used to work TMM, and was nice to figure out a way to make it look weathered without actually using any weathering specific products.  Good practice for the golem, coming next month ^^

plus i ll share here my october pledge, the entry for the “danse macabre” contest

7vls71t.jpg

my idea was to mimic Ghost’s “Dance Macabre” cover art (awesome song by an awesome band)

Dance_Macabre_single.png

fhqlO1y.jpg

just used brighter colors and added a jack-o-lantern as per contest rules, and the tombstone with the band logo as a homage :)

• Like 8

So couple more models from me to round out the month.

CHIaQYW.jpgEnLrSHe.jpg

McTavish and the 3 Bokors for Zoraida's swampfiends.

Then on top of that I also have my entry to Danse MaCabre to show.

C8qchpD.png

My initial problem when the contest was announced was that the undead theme didn't really fit with any of the models I'd been eyeing up as posssible projects for the contest and similarly other than a few Mindless Zombies sitting in my collection ready to painted up with Hayreddin I didn't have anything I felt was that suitable to do and enter. So I went and ordered myself the Molly/Nekima box which I was going to be getting at some point anyway so why not now?

The original plan was that I would have Mollywith some cool musical themed basing but reading over the rules and looking at Molly's sculpt i quickly realised how small she is and that my plans could very easily breach about 3 different rules for the single mini category. So I turned my attention to the Noxious Nephillim who was a bigger boy with a bigger base and gace me much more room to work with to tie in the celebratory theme. The skull/head bobbing came to me pretty quickly but how that would be executed took a little longer. The original plan was that he would have a bucket but that quickly went out of the window as a physical bucket would be too large and obscure too much of the model itself, so instead I compromised and had a nice open pool below him, out of the way and not dominating the piece.

The pumpkin was pulled from Wicked Witch Zoraida's little collection and the sign from my bitz box, cut out of larger pieces of plastic wood. The heads consisted of a number of GW skulls from their plastic skull pack and then the male and female zombie heads from the TTB character sprues. The jaunty hat seemed a natural inclusion to make him look like a carnival worker and was easily aquired again from the TTB sprues, the pre broken horn on the model was a perfect place to hang it from. The sleeve and ruined shirt both were made out of greenstuff and were simple enough jobs (my greater fear was painting the stripes) and that was the model fully constructed until mid way into the painting process. It wasn't until midway through painting that I worried the concept wasn't coming across clearly enough and so I added a jauntily askew bowtie and unkempt mustache (again, both greenstuff). I also sculpted a hooked cane out of plastic and greenstuff but there was no positioning of it that would look good in his left hand. The sculpt of the original model was already excellent and so I didn't fancy trying to repose the hand or sculpt a new one, esepecially with the maount of work that would have required on an otherwise mostly completed model. So the cane was tossed away and I trusted to the rest of the model to carry out the concept in its absence.

In general I am very happy with how it came out. Except for my own still lacking photography skills my only realy complaints are that the female zombie head lost almost all of its detail ast some point and so looks pretty bad, a lump of the right wing somehow didnt get painted properly and is clearly visible in the photo (it is painted now but I only noticed it in the photos after the contest was opened) and his belt chain blends in a bit too much with the loincloth. At end of voting I'd managed 4th place in the singles category which is my best position to date and I had some wonderful feedback in the gallery. Glad a lot of people appreciated the work done making him something slightly different than a Noxious Nephillim.

• Like 5

I guess I managed 14 stones with a pair of hulked-out Swine-cursed.  If I do any painting in the next few days I'll probably cheat a little and intentionally not finish models so I can finish them in December before the holidays completely kill hobby-time :)

2CQyEQ5.jpg

Yeah, not super happy with the connection point gaps, but I'n not entering any competitions.

• Like 5

@Kogan Style – I love the symbols on Jedza’s scroll and the Kurgan looks awesome as well! Stellar work as always

@TimH – I love the Waldo, particularly the Teddy. The whole color scheme works really well. I really like the idea on your Noxious Nephilim as well – and the hat! Ha!

@Gheist – I love the color scheme you chose for your amalgam crew! Man, that is seriously wicked. I may need to steal some of that. I also love the bases, how they are standing on piles of metal junk… it really fits the crew.

@LinenMusician – the whole crew looks great, but the fire golem grabbed me the most. Great transitions. I don’t have any arcanist stuff, but seeing that paint job makes me want that model 😊

@Moinetbeard – All stellar work. Two things that jumped out, the color scheme on the dragon is incredible! I really love the choices and the subtle shifts between them. Not to mention the beautiful base you have it on. Makes me want to repaint mine 😉 Second, I liked the brighter color choice with Manos. Most people stick with all dark colors, but I think the bright colors really work.

@Viruk – It’s hard to pick one thing to like, your work is just too damn good. I have no idea who the shotgun dude it, but that base is wicked good. The magenta on the corpse curator is really nice, especially against the bright green. Klaus’ base is amazing as well, and I love the colors on Hildegard

@Diddick The composition on your Danse submission is really good! That was some really creative work. The backdrop is beautiful, the paint jobs are wonderful, great job all around.

@Caedrus – I love the blues, and your skin work is stellar 😉

As for me, I got my Autumn Queen done up. I found this tree in a train shop and really wanted to use it. The scale isn’t perfect, but I like how it came out. Also, I went with oranges on the core Titania and reds on the alt., so I needed a different color for this one and she didn’t end up feeling quite as “autumn” colored as the others 😊 which is ironic given her name. Still, I am happy with the result.

AkfuoJj.jpg

… annnnddd, with her done, that wraps up the Fae keyword! Woohooo! Now I need to move back to dusting off the Woes, for which I just bought up the witches and woes canday/kade/iggy from the Black Friday sale 😊

Stellar work by all! See you in December 😉

T3nyfOR.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1