The Grim box help and tips

Funinyourgame

My partner bought her first Malifaux box with the Grim for some HH matches
In general, they have nice abilities, but we can't find anyway to use Hildegard's ability "Sweet song: Jealousy" or the more overall Dark Tale

Are we missing something with them? Also is there some good core box to complement them?
Please be detailed in your suggestion, we are both fairly new and might not know all the plays or tricks.

Unrealted: In my opinion, it should be errata with something more generic to help them fit anywhere neverborn related.

Dark tale can give you quite a lot of Shielded as long as you keep your models together. Let's say for example that a Red Cap finish it's activation within 6" of the other Grim models and that it damaged an enemy model during that activation (which is not that difficult). Then all the Grim models (including the Red Cap, since it is within :aura6" of itself) would gain Shielded +1. And if if Klaus manages to damage two enemies with Incessant Questioning, he and all of the Grim models within :aura6" would get another Shielded +2. And so on... So as long as you keep the Grim models close to each other, they can get a lot of Shielded.

And this is where the Sweet Song trigger Jealousy comes in. Sweet Song draws enemies near Hildegard. Every time she takes damage, her Shielded would be reduced. And that means nearby enemies takes damage. So it creates a situation where enemies will take damage themselves if they hit her. It might not be an amazing ability, but it can be useful against crews which rely on melee attacks.

8 minutes ago, Funinyourgame said:

My partner bought her first Malifaux box with the Grim for some HH matches
In general, they have nice abilities, but we can't find anyway to use Hildegard's ability "Sweet song: Jealousy" or the more overall Dark Tale

Are we missing something with them? Also is there some good core box to complement them?
Please be detailed in your suggestion, we are both fairly new and might not know all the plays or tricks.

Unrealted: In my opinion, it should be errata with something more generic to help them fit anywhere neverborn related.

If you use the Jealousy trigger then every time you reduce shielded you will pulse out damage ( do 1 damage to every enemy model within 1" and line of sight). The most common time this will happen is when someone hits hildegard, because then she will reduce her shielded condition to reduce damage. 

The easiest way for her to gain shielded is from her dark tale ability. 

You might be missing what the shielded condition does, in which case page 29 of the electronic rules will explain it. Overall it is a fairly generic ability that will allow her to fit in with any neverborn although she will gain most shielded when used with other Grim  models. She is a Grim model so she will gain shielded at the end of her activation equal to the number of enemy models she damaged during her activation.  

They are intended to be useful to all masters in the faction,  although they will help some more than others.  I would say that lucius is probably the master that most synergies with klaus as he is a mimic as well  

• 5 months later...
On 3/7/2023 at 10:04 PM, Photon_Cosmonaut said:

Does anyone find use for this models in other Neverborn crews? I am on the fence about purchasing that box.

It's a bit of a mixed box I think. Hildegard is very useful when you have a key model you want to protect.

Klaus is more situational. Sometimes exceptionally great, sometimes not at all, depending on what your enemy is putting on the table.

Haven't yet found a good reason to hire Red Caps. Might be there's something I've overlooked, but they don't seem that great on paper.

I'm planning on trying Hildegard in Fae. Most of her activations will just be walking around trying to keep up with the other models, but the idea of having her cancel out enemy focus while giving the enemy negatives on any ranged flips with the terrain markers seems like it might be useful. Red caps seem like they are there for exclusively starter box games to round out the crew. Zoraida2 can't even summon them as they are 5 stones as opposed to 4 and Widow Weaver/Vasilisa will likely opt for a Stitched Together over a Red Cap every time they want to make a fighty puppet (assuming they can pull a (9+ mask). I want to try running Klaus but two of his neatest abilities (Infiltrator and Pocketful of personalities) feel so unclear as to how they interact with everything that it feels like he'll just be a nightmare of rules queries whenever he tries to do anything.

• 3 weeks later...