Opinion: I hope Madness of Malifaux starts to roll some of The Other Side models into Malifaux

dope_danny

I know i'm not the only one that bought into The Other Side on here and it sucks to say but there has to come a point where you rip the band aid off, call a spoon a spoon and admit the game is never going to be what Wyrd intended it to be. The concept of the plugbases as hp was neat, many of the sculpts and worldbuilding aspects were cool but as a wargame its just a failed product.

But that doesn't mean that has to be the end for the majority of the models. Malifaux Burns set up a really good excuse for The Cult of the Burning Man to show up on the other side of the Breach and i think it would be pretty cool to see some cards/rules for things from the game to be used as a crew in Malifaux. Imagine taking things like the Warped, the Broken, a couple of Stalking Portals and a Doomseeker as some roving band muscling in on the Resurrectionists turf or something? These aren't just some really cool models that deserve more love/life on the tabletop but theres a decent in world reason for the cult to be active in Malifaux as well as back on earth. Plus i don't doubt people wouldn't complain to use the other three factions for things like Neverborn for the Gibbering Hordes, Maybe add in Abyssinian models for The Explorers Society or as Outcast Mercs and throw some story reason for the Kings Empire to show up as allys to The Guild for their own interests maybe to rebuild London or something?

The only one that seems a hard fit is the cult but they could follow the keyword alt master trend and emulate what TT originally were with each faction getting a cult themed master/alt inspired by the events of Malifaux burns? like maybe Nellie gets a Cult/Guild alt and can take things like Warped in her crew? something like that maybe?

i know theres been a "beyond the breach" book spotted at cons in marketing and there was talk years ago now of Court of Two vs the Guild acting as a cross game go between but that always felt more like a way to try and get Malifaux players into The Other Side than the other way around and more power to them but it doesn't seem to be working. Hell asking around at my locals on Malifaux night most people don't even know what The Other Side is since the stores stopped stocking the army starter boxes before Covid hit.

I know people get touchy with any perceived doomsaying about TOS but i would just hate to see those models get left behind in a game thats been at its very best struggling since day one and now feels like the perfect time to pull a Necromunda/Mordheim and give them some rules to at least allow some of those models use in the game we all love. 

Did you buy into TOS? have you touched your models in the last few years? would you also be interested in seeing them show up in malifaux? or do you still think theres some big audience waiting to buy into TOS to make two games worth it as a use of Wyrds resources? 

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, dope_danny said:

I know people get touchy with any perceived doomsaying about TOS but i would just hate to see those models get left behind in a game thats been at its very best struggling since day one and now feels like the perfect time to pull a Necromunda/Mordheim and give them some rules to at least allow some of those models use in the game we all love. 

Did you buy into TOS? have you touched your models in the last few years? would you also be interested in seeing them show up in malifaux? or do you still think theres some big audience waiting to buy into TOS to make two games worth it as a use of Wyrds resources? 

I'm still hoping for a slow year for Malifaux and focused on TOS.

Malifaux starts to feel overbloated with models and 54 new masters last year didn't help at all. I think there is a niche for TOS, and I've just been containing myself hoping for decent quality models (sorry, but the TOS Starting box doesn't reach there yet).

I literally bought into ASOIAF because the TOS plastic was garbage. I've spent more than 500$ in 2 ASOIAF armies in the past 2.5 years and the moment we have a decent TOS product, I'll be happy to undersell my ASOIAF to buy into TOS (unless the price is crazy).

I think there's still a good space in the market for an "army" wargame, and honestly the TOS rules are awesome, in certain aspects better than Malifaux. I've seen a couple of independent games (Conquest is starting to catch up and I see more people playing it every month) or into bigger franchises (LOTR is growing more and more, and Legion has a stable playerbase).

Even if Wyrd decides to kill TOS, I hope they reuse the models/concepts in a fresh new game and just not overbloat Malifaux. What Malifaux could really use is a campaign system, to attract new and veteran players (sort of Mordheim/Necromunda stuff) while making sure to keep polishing Gaining Grounds to keep the competitive scene engaged.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Just generally speaking it isn't a great idea for the health of a company to be all in on a single product, so it's better for Wyrd (so long as they aren't running up big losses on the less popular ones) to have a diversified set of products on the go. I don't really have any interest in an army game right now, but I'd rather they get the Other Side going than roll its stuff over into Malifaux. And ultimately Wyrd is the only one that knows if TOS is hurting them.

I want some overlap between the two products (some 'solos' in TOS having enforcer/henchmen profiles in Malifaux for instance), but pulling everything from TOS into Malifaux would be a terrible idea.  There's already a concern with bloat in Malifaux, also I'm pretty sure no one (including Wyrd) wants to see 120mm bases in Malifaux, so the titans and similar wouldn't get crossover regardless.

I didn't buy into TOS due to timing and not being interested in another army game at the time nor in backing another kickstarter. However, since I'm not really interested in the army games I have existing models for, I am waiting to see the two new factions (3K and Kimon) and may either buy into those when they are released or get Shambling Hordes (as that's the existing faction that appeals to me).  The idea of TOS appeals to me.

• 2 weeks later...