Thunders in the GG3 Era

Hermit

I've found Mei Feng is pretty good for Cursed Objects as so much of her crew has armour and with Mei Feng 2 you can dish out a lot of Shielded.

I've had some luck with Misaki in Cursed Objects. The Torakage die off pretty quickly so I tend not to take them for that strat, I either use a smaller crew with more enforcers or take the Thunder Archers or Snipers for the ranged attack and keep them at a distance

As other people have mentioned, Misaki seems like a pretty good bet into a lot of the strats/scheme pools. I've been using her fairly exclusively since gg3 dropped and done ok. I particularly like Fractured. Her bonus action is really great if Misaki can go at the end of the round - an unresisted push that ignores range and los is great when so many of the strats rely on positioning at the end of the round. I'm thinking guard the stash and covert operations in particular. her ability to rebury Jin is really powerful as well, particularly in GTS. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thunders seem to be in an ok spot in gg3. Between Oni, Yokou 2, Lynch 2, Mei 2 and bad grampa 2 we should have a solution for most pools and match ups.

A bit sad that most non title masters are kind of out classed at the moment. I have a hunch that most of them were balanced around now errated upgrades. Can at least be part of the explanation.

I've been really enjoying playing Foundry into pools with Load 'em Up because you can score the first point just from moving your models, and it's easy to find a place to deposit three scraps to have Mei go to at the end of the game. Their Mobility and durability make them decent choices for all of the strats, and they can nail sabotage and breakthrough pretty easily too.

I've been playing some Ancestors recently too, and they're just a generally good quality crew. They're nice into Cursed Objects and Covert especially, but mobility and obeys make them pretty good at Carve a path and Guard the stash as well. Yan Lo 2 can especially handle just about any pool you throw at him, but Yan 1 is also viable because he has movement shenanigans too and can bring models back to eek out attrition battles.

I've seen folks having some great success with Youko 2, but I still don't have Qi and Gong myself.

I still have yet to play Honeypot into GG3, but their action economy doesn't feel as good as some of the other crews. They can make up for it by removing models with their better card quality and hand manipulation from Rig, but I hesitate to bring my favorite keyword into GG3 for some reason. Lynch 2 at least can support with OoA movement and has the extra AP for Hugs, but Lynch 1 in isolation is probably one of the weakest masters in the game. He can't hand out brilliance as efficiently as, say, Hamelin can hand out blight, and Lynch has a damage cap as opposed to the Unrestricted blight damage on both Hamelin and the Wretch. In 40+ games with Honeypot, I've summoned an illuminated twice, as compared to, say, the Brockens I've seen Ivan get out just about every game. All through GG1 and 2 I still had some great success with Honeypot, but these more modern crews with better action economies are making me go in different directions within Thunders than playing my old standby.