Tips new Euripides old one eye

thunderwolf

An Idea I used on Vassal (but I didn't play a lot so..)

Euripides in a center of a bubble.

1 a model take damage to gain a Rune token (for example with the old way). And if this model has frozen Vigor, finish the Activation near a ice pillar or a katlegist to heal the model.
2 Active another model in the bubble, do a duel with the old way. Use hepatomancy to look the opposed player cards and discard good ones. Euripides will gain a rune token. And if this model has frozen Vigor, finish the Activation near a ice pillar or a katlegist to heal the model... again.
3 Repeat.

With single duel, you can discards a lot of good opponent cards.

• Thanks 1

I would say that, after his core box, the Geryon and The Damned are solid purchases to get you started.

The Geryon add some beef to your crew, they are solid beaters which can take some damage and heal back up. Great for tying up enemy models and being a nuisance.

The Damned is one of the most mobile models in the keyword, it hits hard, can go scheming or hunt down lone models. He can get bursted down if you leave him out of position though.

Euripides Old One-Eye adds some needed healing, a bit of mobility and ranged damage but mainly the insanely good rune token mechanic. You can get runes from being hit or using The Old Ways and they can give you an advantage in a flip in most activations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Almost everything you can find about SAVAGE keyword still works here. Sadly, the original Euripides just makes heaps of ice pillars and nothing else. The old one eye shines with the blood rune mechanic as mentioned. Important is that you can use them once per activation, but it often means that you can use them on almost every activation of the game and even when you're not interacting with oponent in any way. Depends if you're standing in the middle and plan a bit ahead. (10'' bubble is a lot though) Don't be afraid to use it on your deck. You can dodge same nasty surprises and fish for suits.
Geryons are staple... I play two of them almost every time. Extended reach is well worth it by itself and they offer even more in a nice angry package. Inhuman reflexes upgrade is even nicer on them now when you can "rune" a bad card for oponent, force him to cheat and scamper away.
Damned is another great capable killer and scheme runner. You wont regret getting him.
I feel that one Kaltgeist should be enough, but you can consider even two of them. They are nice Hidden martyr target but even a small tarpit (armor with incorporeal is surprisingly resilient) or scheming minion. Ignore his melee attack, use him for pushing your models, as mobile pillar to make more with masters fast action and try objectives. Geryon can shoulder rush him really far away for free so take advantage of that.
I strongly recommend getting Serena Bowman. She might be nerfed, but still very strong. Healing and condition removal is something SAVAGE lack and want at the same time. Your hard to kill crew will be even tougher with her.
Cyclops are great situational addition if you want to do any sheme with markers at the close proximity. Gigants are surprisingly strong shooty minions with some neat teleportation tricks. I would like to use Lyssa and new better Bultungin more often, they are really tough to squeeze them in over Kaltgeist though. Sadly, Thoon, the only SAVAGE henchman, makes more work existing then actually beeing in play. People hate receiving his frozen pillar trigger, but that's all. Geryon is better bang for your SS bucks most of the time.

• Thanks 1

I think I like Thoon more than most. If you let him run up one side of the field, your opponent is incentived to either leave him to his business, or be forced to send multiple models to deal with them otherwise they get pillared. I've even managed to pillar one model at the end of a turn, then another at the start of the next, stranding both.

If the enemy has easy ways to destroy pillars, he definitely becomes weaker. He's ok at stuff, pretty fast, reasonably tough and pretty consistent with Intuition and The Old Ways. Shifting Ice has got better with Kaltgeists, it can give them some free mobility. You're definitely taking him for the threat of pillaring people though. He is pricy in a fairly full keyword but can be worth it. 

Had my first game with Old One Eye yesterday against Yan Lo 2. Was a really swingy game, but managed to squeeze out a 3-2 after turn 3 (Wedge/Cursed Objects).

Lists were:

- Euripides, Primordial, 2x Geryon (AP), 2x Kaltgeist, Serena, The Damned

- Yan Lo, Porter, Toshiro, Manos, Sun Qiang, Gokudo, 2x Komainu (GST)

Even though I brought Serena, both my Geryon died at the start of turn 2 before I could heal them up. (they ended turn 1 with 1 health each., and i BJ'ed the initiative...) Any advice for keeping them alive? (besides not having bad luck)

Other than that Euripides himself was godlike. Between Hepatomancy, Old ways, Drink blood trigger and Serena healing him, he never really was in any danger and did most of the killing this game (killed Manos in a single activation !). Oh, and the Damned did damned things scoring sabotage and not much else.

2 hours ago, Hawkoon said:

Even though I brought Serena, both my Geryon died at the start of turn 2 before I could heal them up. (they ended turn 1 with 1 health each., and i BJ'ed the initiative...) Any advice for keeping them alive? (besides not having bad luck)

It does sound like luck was a big factor here, but in a close set up like wedge, I'd be tempted to activate them towards the end of the first turn. They should have good targets to smash by then, it let's them eat a pillar or two for some healing and it keeps them from being in the middle of danger too soon.

Your example is why I sometimes hesitate to put upgrades on them. They do well with them, but they will be in the thick of things from early on and will be tanking hits. Losing them early wastes the cost of the upgrades, especially Ancient Pact, which you want to keep around for as long as possible to get it's benefit.

• 6 months later...

I had my first game with euripredes 2 yesterday. I failed to score a single point. I think one of my main issues (other then not knowing how to work the crew) was that I didn't get enough ice pillars out. 

I have since found that I can turn scheme markers into Ince pillars. so if I do some early amxticvations to make scheme markers this may have helped. Something like walk drop scheme with the first few models. make a pillar with the Cyclops then get euripredes to turn the schemes in pillars. But im not sure if they will be too far back. I could use the geryons to push some of them though maybe? is this the general gist of how to start the game or is there sorting else I can do?

tips for what I can do with my current models as well as what models I will need to add will be appreciated, 

Cheers,

my list was:

Euripredes 2

2 x geryon with inhuman reflexes.

1 x cyclops

1x gigant 

primordial magic

thoon

Hey there, fellow savage!

your crew build is not exactly bad, quite the contrary! I run Euripides, the Old One-Eye and his savages almost exclusively as my tounament choice. He's versatile pick with strong brute force board presence, surprising mobility (thanks to incorporeal, pushes and mainly Avalanche) and counter scheming potential (Absolute zero).

Geryons with inhuman reflexes are your key area holding beaters against melee crews. You just need to learn when to use runes and old ways. (see my older post above)
Ice pillars are not really that crucial. On the other hand, you seem to lose a lot by not including at least one Kaltgeist. He can be damaged with Absolute zero for one more pillar and healed imidiatelly. Your unpacking first turn strategy might differentiate, depending on your plans (you didn't write anything about game setup, which is always important). In general, you want to pulse 3" movement out of your Kaltgeist, Shoulder rush your Geryons (with tome triggers for focus +2) forward and move the others, helping yourself over difficult terrain with Avalanche. Don!t forget, that Gigants can "teleport" themselves to ice pillars. And not only that. Your list is basically an "ultimate Thoon freezing alphastrike" setup. You can Avalanche your Cyclops, walk with him, make an Ice pillar somewhere near to 20" form your deployment, teleport incorporeal Thoon over there and bury some careless flanker with last activation. In general, Thoon is often to gimmicky though. On the other hand, buy the Damned for sure.
If you'd like to experiment a little bit, you can grab Kurgan or Candy for some fun tricks.

7 hours ago, Barrin said:

Hey there, fellow savage!

your crew build is not exactly bad, quite the contrary! I run Euripides, the Old One-Eye and his savages almost exclusively as my tounament choice. He's versatile pick with strong brute force board presence, surprising mobility (thanks to incorporeal, pushes and mainly Avalanche) and counter scheming potential (Absolute zero).

Geryons with inhuman reflexes are your key area holding beaters against melee crews. You just need to learn when to use runes and old ways. (see my older post above)
Ice pillars are not really that crucial. On the other hand, you seem to lose a lot by not including at least one Kaltgeist. He can be damaged with Absolute zero for one more pillar and healed imidiatelly. Your unpacking first turn strategy might differentiate, depending on your plans (you didn't write anything about game setup, which is always important). In general, you want to pulse 3" movement out of your Kaltgeist, Shoulder rush your Geryons (with tome triggers for focus +2) forward and move the others, helping yourself over difficult terrain with Avalanche. Don!t forget, that Gigants can "teleport" themselves to ice pillars. And not only that. Your list is basically an "ultimate Thoon freezing alphastrike" setup. You can Avalanche your Cyclops, walk with him, make an Ice pillar somewhere near to 20" form your deployment, teleport incorporeal Thoon over there and bury some careless flanker with last activation. In general, Thoon is often to gimmicky though. On the other hand, buy the Damned for sure.
If you'd like to experiment a little bit, you can grab Kurgan or Candy for some fun tricks.

cheers thanks for the tips. Im  trying to add damned to my crew but its a hard model to come by at the minute. sold out everywhere. Guess I will have to add kaltgeist to my shopping list as well. 

that's interesting about not needed too many pillars. I thought they would be key to heeling. in my game I lost a geryon and a giant on the 2nd turn, in one activation from manos. the giant had lost a few wounds for using the old ways though, so I figured it would be better to have been near pillars. although In this case they were killed before activating so not much I could have done.

the set up was cursed objects standard

breakthrough

vendetta

catch and release

secret meet-up and assassinate 

I was going for secret meet-up and asasinate . loosing those models early on did not help. but yeah really tough game. 

On 3/27/2023 at 4:49 PM, Kogan Style said:

What do you find the Kurgan useful for?

The Kurgan is awesome solution for unfavourable deployments and tables in general. I just played him in guard the stash setup where I was forced to start in a corner deployment with a forest covering good 2/3 of it. Beeing able to automatically place Euripides 2 out of it and having up to 5 uses of avalanche was a huge help right from the start.

Movement tricks were useful tool for that strategy, I could place my models into right positions and even push the oponents outside of them. Moreso every model with  Frozen vigor can push to him at the end of activation while within 6".

Fun trick: The Damned is a savage/seeker model, so he can treat Kurgan as a terrain marker. (with free action activated) By taking slam general action, he's able to place him within 1" of himself. 

• Thanks 1